Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-16-2010, 07:59 AM

659 posts, read 1,377,078 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDGeek View Post
If you're Californian...and you hate Texas...don't move here. And if you're already here and you hate it, go back. Simple.
I totally agree. I continue to come into contact with transplanted Californians that "hate the heat, the bugs, the this, the that." Don't like it? Do what I would do and be an adult about it. No wonder they don't like living in Texas because it's not like California-they've failed and they're pissed off about it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2010, 08:22 AM

8,704 posts, read 11,124,091 times
Theres pluses and minuses to both states. I dont see any difference between the in-fighting between the two. Just read the posts in this thread.....but dang the heat and bugs here suck...

Old 07-16-2010, 08:54 AM

13,384 posts, read 25,755,023 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by feufoma View Post
I totally agree. I continue to come into contact with transplanted Californians that "hate the heat, the bugs, the this, the that." Don't like it? Do what I would do and be an adult about it. No wonder they don't like living in Texas because it's not like California-they've failed and they're pissed off about it.
Only an idiot would move here from California and expect it to be similar. It isnt. We love Texas and the reason we do is because we moved here expecting it to be Texas. When we were looking at DFW and Houston (trying to decide), we expected it to be more conservative, cheaper, easier to live, friendlier, to have more opportunity, and (compared to California) ugly. We were not disappointed and we are very happy because of it.

Old 07-16-2010, 09:41 AM

16,087 posts, read 41,170,052 times
I'm in California several times per year. I remember several years ago many of them were very curious about moving to Texas - usually it was the Austin area as they thought that was the only acceptable section...they would ask me about property taxes and such...they knew the no 'state tax' part..

Usually after a few questions it was the same pattern - what they really wanted to do was sell the CA house (back when they were worth something) and move to an EVEN LARGER house in Texas.

Old 07-16-2010, 09:54 AM

12,229 posts, read 21,511,926 times
This really annoying sniping happens on both sides. I hear the BS Texas stereotypes when I'm out visiting friends and family back in California, and I hear the BS California stereotypes here.

And by the way, I am very happy here and every day am glad of my decision to go Texan, but the July-August heat and the bugs DO suck, and I do miss simple daily life things like deliciously ubiquitous taco stands and better Chinese food. Mentioning those things occasionally is not an indictment on this state or anyone's way of life. A lot of people need to chill out and stop telling people they need to move out simply because don't like something or miss something from their home state.

P.S. I love Texas!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 07-16-2010, 09:58 AM

2,735 posts, read 6,737,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Melissa78703 View Post
I lived in the Bay Area for a while and split time in Austin and L.A. for a year. Coming from Austin, the Bay Area offered the exact same things, except the weather was fairly miserable most of the time. I did want to stay because a lot of my friends lived there, but I couldn't abide living right next to the ocean yet never being able to swim in it (or swim period). Nothing about San Francisco or Berkeley made me think, "Wow! This is so much better than Austin!" It really didn't have different offerings or anything that was particularly better. And man, the Chinese food blew, simply because there was so much of it. When there's a lot of something, you automatically know that most of it's going to be really bad.

L.A. was like a grown-up's version of Disneyworld. Fun place to visit, but you don't want to live there. Once I saw all the fun touristy stuff, it was pretty unremarkable. I've never experienced such terrible pollution in my entire life (eyes burning and streaming tears), and the two-hour drives just to get from one place to another made going out not even worth it. I can only see L.A. being cool if you have a whole lot of money to blow and can live someplace extraordinarily nice. I had the financial means to enjoy myself, but if I hadn't, it would have been abjectly boring misery.

I dunno, the way I see it is that Texas certainly isn't lacking in terms of things to do, culture, types of food, fashion, diversity, etc. I read a thread in the California forum to the effect of "What do you miss about California," and some of the answers were strange--taco stands, Asian food, good Mexican food, good weather, coastline, etc. WTF did these people relocate to anyway, rural Appalacia? One can find that stuff in almost every major metropolis, but especially in Texas.
I know exactly the thread you are talking about, in fact I started it and am one who mentioned taco stands and absolutely NO, you cannot find those anywhere...people are used to foods of their regions, no matter where they are from and they almost always cannot be duplicated, unless it's a chain.

Old 07-16-2010, 10:01 AM

2,735 posts, read 6,737,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LAnative10 View Post
Chill out bro. I was just saying that Texans hate on California every bit as much as Californians hate on Texas. This thread is pure hypocrisy.
tried to rep ya but have to spread the love

Old 07-16-2010, 10:03 AM

97 posts, read 349,071 times
I'mma say it like it is. Nothing against CA or any other state like that but..

*The good ol' sayin of : "If you don't have nothing nice to say - Don't say it all."

and..

At least Texas isn't broke. eh?

Old 07-16-2010, 11:46 AM

354 posts, read 712,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OmShahi View Post
Look man, I know how you can feel when you see something negative written about your home, it hurts us all when our place is criticized.

But you are not being fair to Californians at all. Imagine how they feel, they had to break ties with their home, and move because they could no longer afford/sustain a lifestyle there.

I take it with a grain of salt, they miss home. You would too. And it goes hand in hand, Texans aren't exactly the most "loving" bunch either, Texans are developing this "greater than thou" mentality more and more each day just like everyone else from a big US state already has.

I don't think Californians hate Texas at all even if they say they do, I think they just miss home too much to explain in words so they might come off as arrogant or hateful, but they are not.

I'm an outsider to Texas, I used to dislike Texas myself, but it wasn't because of the state but because I missed home too much. I thought to myself everyday, "why do I have to live anywhere else besides home..."
I'm fortunate enough to be able to switch back and forth between Houston/Chicago though whenever I want too. Majority of the Californians don't have that luxury and they can't ever get that taste of back home anywhere else. You know that saying, "there's no place like home" it has a lot more meaning to it when you have to depart from your home for elsewhere.

I don't think any real hatred exists for the most part, it's just people who miss their home and what they had before. They haven't settled in completely yet, give them time.
I am not from here. In fact I am moving back to S. California next year(getting married). I have lived in four different states in about five years now.
There IS a difference between 'missing home' and bashing the state you live in. Look, I lived in Hawaii for a short time and couldn't get back to the mainland fast enough, but I didn't run around telling people how much I hated it there and making snide/snarky comments about Hawaiians. Think of it like being a guest in someone's home--while they are welcoming you, showing you around, preparing your food--do you pout like a child and say 'I wanna go home...!" no. It's rude.
While I was in Hawaii, someone gave me the best advice that I have ever heard-- "Wherever you are, you are..just live your life in that moment and appreciate the uniqueness of what you have there." Every place is different. That's the beauty of this country. If every place were the same and like your home town wouldn't that be boring? Are you really that stuck on staying in one place and not open minded? And yes, it's true, Texas is the HOT place to be right now, what with lower cost of living, no state income tax, and decent weather, as well as beaches, mountains and plains all in one state (depending on where you decide to live in this big state) you can have it all--if you choose to make those opportunities for yourself. If you sit around crying all day about how you are pining for home, the world will pass you by and you won't get to see the beauty of it.

Old 07-16-2010, 02:11 PM

1,156 posts, read 2,381,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by breeze823 View Post
I know exactly the thread you are talking about, in fact I started it and am one who mentioned taco stands and absolutely NO, you cannot find those anywhere...people are used to foods of their regions, no matter where they are from and they almost always cannot be duplicated, unless it's a chain.
I'm going to assume you are joking. There are four taco stands, yes, just like the kind you see in Cally, within walking distance of my home. Maybe there are some states that don't make family-run taco joints their thing, but all throughout the Southwest/South, they're a big deal.

Not that they're any good, IMHO. Most of the Mexican food in Texas is truly disgusting--especially Austin. I've eaten the best Mexican food in Toronto, New York and Chicago. The people who own the restaurants know they have to make them absolutely stellar to stand out as a business.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas