Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What is the most conservative city in Texas?
Austin 5 3.47%
Dallas 29 20.14%
El Paso 4 2.78%
Fort Worth 82 56.94%
Houston 12 8.33%
San Antonio 12 8.33%
Voters: 144. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-11-2011, 01:45 PM

9,221 posts, read 15,958,071 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by feconi View Post
The three that did, did so out of spite and not at all out of honest feelings. I could probably guess who the three were that voted for Austin.
Same reason why people voted for Houston, Dallas, and San Antonio. Fort Worth is learly the most conservative large ity, and it isn't even close.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2011, 02:27 PM

12,498 posts, read 26,998,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justme02 View Post
Wow, you flip-flop like freakin crazy. Wasnt it just a few posts ago that you said:

"these days the difference isn't as great between the two cities."

But now, 20 whole minutes later, Dallas is "overwhelmingly" the most conservative city in Texas (save Fort Worth)???
I meant as a metro D/FW is the most conservative large metro in Texas. The Metroplex sits at the very heart of the Bible Belt in the Central region of the US. Houston is at the very edge as is San Antonio, Corpus, & El Paso. The reason being is they are majority CATHOLIC cities as opposed to Dallas & North Texas being predominately Southern Baptist.

Yes, I did say the difference these days between Dallas & Houston proper is pretty insignificant when it comes to being conservative.

Dallas has historically been the conservative white collar city & still to this day Houston has not had a republican mayor since the early 80's unlike Dallas. Houston also elected the first openly lesbian mayor in this nations history.

Old 03-11-2011, 02:31 PM

25,157 posts, read 53,952,004 times
Dallas isn't conservative. Be real!

Fort Worth is the epitome of conservative though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metro Matt View Post
I'll let the polls speak for themselves.

Dallas & Fort Worth are overwhelmingly THE most conservative large Texas cities.

Old 03-11-2011, 02:35 PM

13,384 posts, read 25,751,740 times
^^^I said over and over that I felt North Texas outside of Dallas county was very conservative. Thats unmistakable. But Dallas county isnt conservative.

Its no different than the Houston area. Everywhere outside the city of Houston is conservative in the greater Houston area. I think that North Texas (outside Dallas county) is still more conservative, but the title of the thread is what is the most conservative large city. The answer to that is clear, Fort Worth. After that is San Antonio. Houston and Dallas are somewhat of a tie even if you can say Houston is slightly more liberal. Austin and El Paso are the most liberal.

Old 03-11-2011, 02:38 PM

Most conservative:
1. Fort Worth (all about long horns, rodeos, stockyards, square dances, country music, cowboys, etc.)
2. Austin (all about long horns, football games, state capitol, tradition, traditionalism, alcoholism, public relations corporations, collectivism, UT Austin, prejudice, corruption, etc.)
3. Collin County (all about modernism and diversity but a lot of fairweather Christians roaming around too)

Liberal:
1. Dallas (all about variety in shopping, arts, sports, nightclubs, religion, education, ethnicity, race, sexuality, etc.)
2. Houston (same as above)
3. San Antonio (amazing Tex-Mex culture, food, tejano music, fiestas, Spanish themed parades, etc.)
4. El Paso (unbelievable nature and very slow and unassuming culture)
5. Denton (grungy, strange, musical, artsy bipolar culture where conservative bigots clash with liberals)

Quote:
Austin and El Paso are the most liberal.

Last edited by artsyguy; 03-11-2011 at 02:58 PM..

Old 03-11-2011, 02:41 PM

Quote:
^^^I said over and over that I felt North Texas outside of Dallas county was very conservative. Thats unmistakable. But Dallas county isnt conservative.

Its no different than the Houston area. Everywhere outside the city of Houston is conservative in the greater Houston area. I think that North Texas (outside Dallas county) is still more conservative, but the title of the thread is what is the most conservative large city. The answer to that is clear, Fort Worth. After that is San Antonio. Houston and Dallas are somewhat of a tie even if you can say Houston is slightly more liberal. Austin and El Paso are the most liberal.
Austins "liberalness" is over rated & highly inflated. The city tries too hard.

In Houston the liberalness of the city & people is reflected in the manner the city is built upon ie: no zoning laws. Less government telling you what you can & can not do. If I wanted to open up an adult video store or strip club next to a church I could. If I wanted to open up a liquor store next to a church I could.

You just don't find that type of stuff as out in the open in Dallas or Austin as you would down in Houston.

This defines Houston to a tee. The "Live & Let Live" mentality in Houston is profound. You can actually "feel" it when you are there. I don't get that same vibe when ever I'm in Dallas.

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/laissez-faire

Last edited by Metro Matt; 03-11-2011 at 02:52 PM..

Old 03-11-2011, 02:51 PM

198 posts, read 499,618 times
Quote:
I meant as a metro D/FW is the most conservative large metro in Texas. The Metroplex sits at the very heart of the Bible Belt in the Central region of the US. Houston is at the very edge as is San Antonio, Corpus, & El Paso. The reason being is they are majority CATHOLIC cities as opposed to Dallas & North Texas being predominately Southern Baptist.

Yes, I did say the difference these days between Dallas & Houston proper is pretty insignificant when it comes to being conservative.

Dallas has historically been the conservative white collar city & still to this day Houston has not had a republican mayor since the early 80's unlike Dallas. Houston also elected the first openly lesbian mayor in this nations history.
Both Dallas County and Collin County have more Catholics than Baptists.

Old 03-11-2011, 02:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WestPlanoDude View Post
Both Dallas County and Collin County have more Catholics than Baptists.
Source?

Old 03-11-2011, 03:02 PM

13,384 posts, read 25,751,740 times
Quote:
Source?
How about city data itself:

http://www.city-data.com/county/Collin_County-TX.html

http://www.city-data.com/county/Dallas_County-TX.html

Old 03-11-2011, 03:03 PM

What areas of Dallas are not "live and let live"?

Quote:

This defines Houston to a tee. The "Live & Let Live" mentality in Houston is profound. You can actually "feel" it when you are there. I don't get that same vibe when ever I'm in Dallas.

Laissez-faire - Definition and More from the Free Merriam-Webster Dictionary
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas