Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-11-2011, 12:21 PM

5,643 posts, read 15,649,868 times

Advertisements

Can an ex-president run for state governor again?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-11-2011, 12:46 PM

173 posts, read 400,610 times
It is very strange to hear people say, "he sticks to his guns", "seems like a good guy", "seems like a weasel", "appears to be old school."

Those are all things about appearances and this is why the population keeps getting dumber and keeps voting against their own interests. This is a politician. Look at what he has actually said, what he has claimed, and the actual actions of the politician.

Who is in favor of a radioactive waste dump on our only water supply?? ME ME!!!!

I would really like to listen to a defense from someone who can tell me what he has said and done that has been great for Texas, its people, its economy, education, etc. Not just pandering to the richest or corporate interests. Then make a list of the negatives.

I have yet to see anything he has done that is good. I would be open to listing to any defense for him with some real, valid true facts about what he has done in all these years. But no one ever provides any, except, " I am conservative, he is conservative", "he seems to care, he like guns, I like guns". I assure you, you are very different people.

Old 09-11-2011, 12:57 PM

1,534 posts, read 2,754,388 times
Rick Perry is selectively and strategically conservative, but has shown repeatedly that he is ONLY accountable to his donors, not to ideology or principle. He may invoke the constitution, but there is not a single provision or amendment that is not for sale: The Texas Trans Corridor would have been one of the biggest government eminent domain land grabs in history - so much for individual property rights. The Gardasil Mandate attempted to use state legislation to force every girl in Texas to take a HPV vaccine in order to enrich one of his big donors. And don't even get me started on the Texas Public Policy Foundation. He talks like a hawk on illegal immigration but acts like a dove, not because he cares about the plight of undocumented workers but because much of the profit margins of key industries in this state (mostly but not exclusively construction and agriculture) depend on an abundance of cheap super-exploitable Mexican labor. Heck, if he got a big enough donation from the gun control lobby and thought he could get away with it, his commitment to the second amendment would disappear as soon as the check cleared. The only good thing about him becoming president would be that he could move into the business of selling the rights of all Americans, and distracted by this more lucrative business, might mess with the constitutional rights of Texans a little less. He is not remotely a fiscal conservative - his version of governance is big government working for big business.

Old 09-11-2011, 01:03 PM

10,238 posts, read 19,516,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VonHuffenHausen View Post
It is very strange to hear people say, "he sticks to his guns", "seems like a good guy", "seems like a weasel", "appears to be old school."

Those are all things about appearances and this is why the population keeps getting dumber and keeps voting against their own interests. This is a politician. Look at what he has actually said, what he has claimed, and the actual actions of the politician.

Who is in favor of a radioactive waste dump on our only water supply?? ME ME!!!!

I would really like to listen to a defense from someone who can tell me what he has said and done that has been great for Texas, its people, its economy, education, etc. Not just pandering to the richest or corporate interests. Then make a list of the negatives.

I have yet to see anything he has done that is good. I would be open to listing to any defense for him with some real, valid true facts about what he has done in all these years. But no one ever provides any, except, " I am conservative, he is conservative", "he seems to care, he like guns, I like guns". I assure you, you are very different people.
What are you saying here? With ease, anyone could copy and paste the same (substituting "progressive" for "conservative") summary of ANY politician.

You would like to listen to a defense? Hell, I would like to listen to your credentials for demanding such as if you are a prosecutor asking a witness when did they stop beating their wife...?

Also? What is this "voting against your own interests" stuff? Can you be more specific? BTW, I am familiar with the book you are likely referring to as to thesis (something about Kansas and middle America as I recall). How are they doing such? Do you know something they don't..?

Last edited by TexasReb; 09-11-2011 at 01:13 PM..

Old 09-11-2011, 02:11 PM

8,746 posts, read 8,993,807 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by homeinatx View Post
Rick Perry is selectively and strategically conservative, but has shown repeatedly that he is ONLY accountable to his donors, not to ideology or principle. He may invoke the constitution, but there is not a single provision or amendment that is not for sale: The Texas Trans Corridor would have been one of the biggest government eminent domain land grabs in history - so much for individual property rights. The Gardasil Mandate attempted to use state legislation to force every girl in Texas to take a HPV vaccine in order to enrich one of his big donors. And don't even get me started on the Texas Public Policy Foundation. He talks like a hawk on illegal immigration but acts like a dove, not because he cares about the plight of undocumented workers but because much of the profit margins of key industries in this state (mostly but not exclusively construction and agriculture) depend on an abundance of cheap super-exploitable Mexican labor. Heck, if he got a big enough donation from the gun control lobby and thought he could get away with it, his commitment to the second amendment would disappear as soon as the check cleared. The only good thing about him becoming president would be that he could move into the business of selling the rights of all Americans, and distracted by this more lucrative business, might mess with the constitutional rights of Texans a little less. He is not remotely a fiscal conservative - his version of governance is big government working for big business.
That's a very good analysis of Rick Perry! As I've said before, many of those things you mention above is why I voted for Senator Hutchison for governor in the last Republican primary. She has her baggage too but not as much as Slick Rick...lol.

Old 09-11-2011, 04:06 PM

16,787 posts, read 48,846,479 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VonHuffenHausen

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasReb View Post
What are you saying here? With ease, anyone could copy and paste the same (substituting "progressive" for "conservative") summary of ANY politician.

You would like to listen to a defense? Hell, I would like to listen to your credentials for demanding such as if you are a prosecutor asking a witness when did they stop beating their wife...?

Also? What is this "voting against your own interests" stuff? Can you be more specific? BTW, I am familiar with the book you are likely referring to as to thesis (something about Kansas and middle America as I recall). How are they doing such? Do you know something they don't..?
I'm not sure what you are in a huff about here TexasReb. You are the one who started this thread and named it "Texans in defense of Perry" I just now got around to reading it, and I too expected to find some actual "defense" of Perry here, but so far I have not seen it. I have asked the same a questions my self about Perry, what has he actually done that was so positive for the State. He takes credit for lots of Texas positives, but I have not seen any evidence that he actually did anything to bring them about.

What I do find interesting in this thread is that almost everyone in it who says they will support him have also said that they think he is dishonest and can't be trusted. Which are exactly the reasons I despise him. I do think that Perry is the most blatantly self serving and dishonest politician I have seen in my lifetime. He is such an obvious stooge for the corporations in this state I have no doubt that he would readily sell of the entire state as long as he gets his twenty pieces of silver. I don't believe that he is conservative, he is just pandering to the tea party votes. I don't think he is a christian, he is too self centered and dishonest, but he makes a big show of public prayers because he is pandering to those voters.

I don't see how he could possibly have a positive impact on our nations economy, he doesn't know anything about economics or even running a business. What experience does he actually have with anything besides backroom politics and chanting tea party slogans?

Old 09-11-2011, 04:42 PM

20,958 posts, read 45,197,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VonHuffenHausen View Post

I, too, would think that a defense of Rick Perry would include concrete examples of things that he, personally, has done for the State of Texas while governor. Not things about Texas that he claims credit for, but clear examples of what he did to improve the State.

Frankly, I think he's trying to ride on Texas' coattails to get into the White House, claiming credit for things that aren't his doing, but if someone is going to do as the thread title says, defend Perry, the very minimum would seem to be listing those things.

Old 09-11-2011, 05:51 PM

10,238 posts, read 19,516,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CptnRn View Post
I'm not sure what you are in a huff about here TexasReb. You are the one who started this thread and named it "Texans in defense of Perry"
On the contrary, CapnRn, I don't understand why you are getting so testy here. I am not in a "huff"... and never have been. I merely rejoined to what, IMHO, seems like an absolute overwhelming number of threads which are so obviously -- by title alone -- going into hysterics over Perry. I mean, c'mon..."Texans, are you proud of your governor?" and etc? What does that say? Hell, my own thread was neutral by comparrisson...

Quote:
I just now got around to reading it, and I too expected to find some actual "defense" of Perry here, but so far I have not seen it. I have asked the same a questions my self about Perry, what has he actually done that was so positive for the State. He takes credit for lots of Texas positives, but I have not seen any evidence that he actually did anything to bring them about.
What are you wanting to see? Give the comparative example of another governor who did any better. And in what way. Balancing the budget? Holding the line on illegal immigration? What? A defense requires an offense, and vice versa.

Quote:
What I do find interesting in this thread is that almost everyone in it who says they will support him have also said that they think he is dishonest and can't be trusted. Which are exactly the reasons I despise him. I do think that Perry is the most blatantly self serving and dishonest politician I have seen in my lifetime. He is such an obvious stooge for the corporations in this state I have no doubt that he would readily sell of the entire state as long as he gets his twenty pieces of silver. I don't believe that he is conservative, he is just pandering to the tea party votes. I don't think he is a christian, he is too self centered and dishonest, but he makes a big show of public prayers because he is pandering to those voters.
I will go on record as saying-- and have and do again -- that I think you are right in many ways. But I will also request that when one labels the sinner? Then identify the saint. So, Cap, who is Perry being compared to...and for what reason and upon what platform...?

Quote:
I don't see how he could possibly have a positive impact on our nations economy, he doesn't know anything about economics or even running a business. What experience does he actually have with anything besides backroom politics and chanting tea party slogans?
He may not, but the policies he advances will. I just wish it wasn't him as the guy who does it.

Oh well, time to get eat supper and hit the sack! Everyone have a good night, a great week...and God Bless Texas!

Last edited by TexasReb; 09-11-2011 at 06:08 PM..

Old 09-11-2011, 06:56 PM

16,787 posts, read 48,846,479 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasReb View Post
On the contrary, CapnRn, I don't understand why you are getting so testy here. I am not in a "huff"... and never have been. I merely rejoined to what, IMHO, seems like an absolute overwhelming number of threads which are so obviously -- by title alone -- going into hysterics over Perry. I mean, c'mon..."Texans, are you proud of your governor?" and etc? What does that say? Hell, my own thread was neutral by comparrisson...
I'm sorry if my comment came off as testy, I did not think it was. It also appears you are misunderstanding it. When I refered to your "huff" it was in regard to your comment that I quoted, "You would like to listen to a defense? Hell, I would like to listen to your credentials for demanding such as if you are a prosecutor asking a witness when did they stop beating their wife...? ", not your entire thread.

I'd be sincerely interested in hearing a defense of Perry, which I thought your thread was promising. Apparently that was not your intention. But I'm not the only person who thought that was what your thread was offering.

As TexasHorseLady wrote:
Quote:
I, too, would think that a defense of Rick Perry would include concrete examples of things that he, personally, has done for the State of Texas while governor. Not things about Texas that he claims credit for, but clear examples of what he did to improve the State.

Frankly, I think he's trying to ride on Texas' coattails to get into the White House, claiming credit for things that aren't his doing, but if someone is going to do as the thread title says, defend Perry, the very minimum would seem to be listing those things.

Old 09-11-2011, 07:32 PM

3,160 posts, read 4,350,188 times
Im voting for the guy with the best chance Moderator cut: see comment I dont care if he eats babies, smokes mary jane and has an IV of scotch.
Moderator cut: see comment

Last edited by Bo; 09-11-2011 at 08:12 PM.. Reason: Off topic for the forum - Can't discuss candidates who aren't in Texas in the Texas forum.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
View detailed profiles of: