Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-13-2012, 02:30 PM

1,442 posts, read 1,341,227 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Joshua View Post
Other than Arkansas constantly poking Texas in the ribs and Oklahoma ringing Texas' doorbell and running, I don't see the reason for this slogan.

The slogan is being taken out of context entirely. Don't Mess With Texas is the litter control campaign in our state. I honestly never thought of it as meaning anything else other than Don't MESS (litter) with Texas until my mother in law from New England miss understood the slogan's meaning years ago. She thought we were being arrogant and prideful. Once I explained to her what the slogan was really for, she got it and apologized. As far as Texas pride goes, absolutely, we are very proud of our state and our people and for many good reasons. I'm proud to say that I was born and raised here and honestly can't imagine living any where else. I've traveled extensively all over the US and to several other countries. Enjoyed my visits to some pretty amazing places and met some fantastic people along the way. But Texas is my home and where my heart is and I just can't find another place that can come close to changing my heart. There are some folks that get down right rude and arrogant about it but folks like that are everywhere, not just in Texas. I'd like to think that folks do not assume that all Texans act this way.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2012, 02:42 PM

15,446 posts, read 21,352,256 times
People pick on Texas for the same reason a bully picks on a nerd; they know they can get a reaction. It's when they quit picking on Texas that I worry about.

Old 02-13-2012, 05:57 PM

1,241 posts, read 4,334,459 times
You know, I always wondered the same thing until I went to visit other cities outside TX and boy I'd love visiting other places but I would rather much live here. Also, I did a bit of snooping and found out that this is the only State that I found so far that has a shirt that reads: "I'm not from Texas but I got here as fast as I could". There may be some out there now but when I looked about 2 years ago, I couldn't find any other. good luck in the answers you get. (of course delete 'Texas' and add their States name in the shirt)

Old 02-13-2012, 06:19 PM

1,442 posts, read 1,341,227 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SA Greed View Post
You know, I always wondered the same thing until I went to visit other cities outside TX and boy I'd love visiting other places but I would rather much live here. Also, I did a bit of snooping and found out that this is the only State that I found so far that has a shirt that reads: "I'm not from Texas but I got here as fast as I could". There may be some out there now but when I looked about 2 years ago, I couldn't find any other. good luck in the answers you get. (of course delete 'Texas' and add their States name in the shirt)

Thanks for the reply. No one even mentioned the t-shirt slogan and that no one see's that in other states. I have TONS of reasons to be proud of my home state but it was really interesting to see the opinions of others and learn what makes them love it so much.

Last edited by BstYet2Be; 02-13-2012 at 10:33 PM..

Old 02-13-2012, 06:48 PM

502 posts, read 934,366 times
Go big or go home?

Old 02-13-2012, 06:55 PM

166 posts, read 571,414 times
"Texas, It's like a whole 'nother country."

Guns. And we can shoot people for messing with our property.

Old 02-14-2012, 08:54 AM

487 posts, read 991,936 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neworleansisprettygood View Post
It's really not that hyperbolic. When you see Texans outside of their own state, they really do often act like this:

Texan Says He's Had Much Better In Texas | The Onion - America's Finest News Source | Onion Radio News
You do realize that "The Onion" is all about satire, right?

Old 02-14-2012, 09:43 AM

399 posts, read 854,814 times
Born and bred Bostonian here. I have to say I never met a Texan I didn't like. People from Texas seem to have this exuberance about them and are very friendly people. I admire them and their history. And I think with this world we live in today we're gonna need all the states we can get!

Old 02-16-2012, 03:21 PM

8,309 posts, read 38,776,945 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trimac20 View Post
it seems texans are the most defensive bunch of people when talking about their state. If anyone says anything bad about texas or a city in texas, they immediately start getting angry that someone might not find texas the paradise they do. Is it because texas is sort overrated? I know it gets unfairly stereotyped as being redneck and stuff, but do most people really dislike texas that much? Texan cities, even austin, are nothing special, yet some posters violently disagree if you say new york has more culture than houston or dallas. Some of them think that you never even need to leave texas. They will argue that houston is as urban as ny, or that the guadalupe mountains beat the rockies. Keep in mind i'm talking about a vocal component, not all texans.
We are not defensive!! Get the hell out!!!

There isn't an Ozzie alive who can outshoot, outscrew and outdrink a Texan.

Old 02-16-2012, 03:28 PM

8,309 posts, read 38,776,945 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SA Greed View Post
I remember feeling the need to shake the hand of the guy at a Blue Man Group show in NY wearing boots and a shirt that read "F___ Ya'll, I'm From Texas"

As far as I know they don't sell those shirts for Kansas or any other place.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas