Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-07-2007, 10:37 AM

66 posts, read 150,313 times

Advertisements

My husband put in 30 years and just retired.
We bought our house in Harker Heights and just love it out here.
On post living is not bad.
More secure then Killeen and Cove.
I always felt safe on post because my husband deployed often.
That was a big issue for me.
We have alot of ret. officers in our neighbour hood.
And of cause active Soldiers and their family.
I would never live in Killeen or Cove.
Just my two cents.
Welcome to texas!!!!!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-07-2007, 12:17 PM

791 posts, read 2,223,381 times
killeen.craigslist.com - real estate or apts.

Old 09-07-2007, 06:42 PM

3,494 posts, read 14,383,801 times
why wouldnt you live in the Cove? i am getting desperate and cant find what i want in Gatesville, and have found something on the very western edge of Cove..close to Kempner....one of the last roads on the west side in the Cove.
i can afford high priced rent...but not executive level prices e.g. a grand and up per month...
but i am in a rush...they are awaiting my arrival at Ft Hood
so please let me know why not the Cove?
aside from of course i hate that main drag going to Ft Hood, with all those strip malls. i am a country girl and cant deal with traffic and congestion, but hey, it's only a year, and i gotta do what i gotta do. need to move ASAP.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lone*Star_Girl View Post
My husband put in 30 years and just retired.
We bought our house in Harker Heights and just love it out here.
On post living is not bad.
More secure then Killeen and Cove.
I always felt safe on post because my husband deployed often.
That was a big issue for me.
We have alot of ret. officers in our neighbour hood.
And of cause active Soldiers and their family.
I would never live in Killeen or Cove.
Just my two cents.
Welcome to texas!!!!!!!

Old 09-07-2007, 08:18 PM

66 posts, read 150,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bellestaroftexas View Post
why wouldnt you live in the Cove? i am getting desperate and cant find what i want in Gatesville, and have found something on the very western edge of Cove..close to Kempner....one of the last roads on the west side in the Cove.
i can afford high priced rent...but not executive level prices e.g. a grand and up per month...
but i am in a rush...they are awaiting my arrival at Ft Hood
so please let me know why not the Cove?
aside from of course i hate that main drag going to Ft Hood, with all those strip malls. i am a country girl and cant deal with traffic and congestion, but hey, it's only a year, and i gotta do what i gotta do. need to move ASAP.
The only area i consider nice and safe in Cove is the one behind Walmart.
I could live there and feel safe. The rest of Cove i don't care for.
But that is just me. Crime and gangs is just as bad as in Killeen.
Kempner and Lampasas is nice. We have friends in Kempner and they love it.
I like country life too, but we work in Harker Heights and that would be to
far to drive.
Hope you find something good. A year is not that long.
Close to Kempner sounds good.
At least it's not in the middle of Cove.

Old 09-07-2007, 08:37 PM

3,494 posts, read 14,383,801 times
yep, its not in middle of the cove-it's on the way out outskirts.
can you give me an idea of the names of the roads that are behind walmart so i can spot them on the ft hood rentals? i mean, i know walmart is on that hwy 190, but dont know whereabouts on that road, so crossroads would be helpful (just in case i dont get this house that i am eyeballing).
i dont have time to keep driving 6 hours up there to look at each house, so i am trying to find something on the internet, with my future coworkers scoping the houses out, and taking pics for me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lone*Star_Girl View Post
The only area i consider nice and safe in Cove is the one behind Walmart.
I could live there and feel safe. The rest of Cove i don't care for.
But that is just me. Crime and gangs is just as bad as in Killeen.
Kempner and Lampasas is nice. We have friends in Kempner and they love it.
I like country life too, but we work in Harker Heights and that would be to
far to drive.
Hope you find something good. A year is not that long.
Close to Kempner sounds good.
At least it's not in the middle of Cove.

Old 09-08-2007, 05:02 PM

3 posts, read 17,409 times
Default Cove is great

Copperas Cove is a great little town. It's where I first lived in '74 when I came to Texas. There are plenty of nice areas to live in and around Cove. Kempner is popular, so is Pidcoke which is more in the direction of Gatesville. Let me know if I can be of any help. You'll really like the area. Michael

Old 09-08-2007, 05:15 PM

3 posts, read 17,409 times
Default Copperas Cove

There is a new neighborhood in Cove...Walker Place...across the highway from that in the Ogletree Gap area is another nice new neighborhood. The area behind Wal-Mart is nice...and there are many older homes in that area. Robertson Ave is the main drag that runs east/west in that area. Some of the side streets off that are Williams, Kate, Ridge, Creek and Margaret Lee. These will take you to other streets and further back from WalMart which is right off HWY 190...a major Interstate like highway that runs through the center of Cove all the way east through Killeen and Harker Heights to IH 35. Hope this helps. Michael

Old 10-19-2007, 12:19 PM

1 posts, read 3,528 times
Have you tried the website AHRN.com ? That is how I found our house before we moved down here. It's specifically for military families. Temple is going to be a little bit of a drive for your husband to get to post. Harker Heights is a nice area. It's so hard with the neighborhoods in Killeen. It's hit or miss. I don't know much about on post housing, I'm pretty sure you pay for cable/internet and if you go over on your electric. Hope that helps!

Old 10-19-2007, 06:51 PM

20,516 posts, read 33,556,399 times
Quote:
Now it has one of the lowest crime rates in Central Texas
I don't know about this one. Now I'm one to say that people overhype the crime that happens in this city. But there are run down areas in this city and sadly more are developing that way with those low budget du-and four plex areas. But the lowest crime rates in Central Texas? Is Killeen not going through one of it's worse years ever for homicides? I think the count is over 10 now.

Stay out of areas that have a huge amount of four plexes and du plexes. Like the ones off of Stan Schluter loop between Old 440 and Clear Creek Road. There's many more around the city.

Old 10-19-2007, 08:11 PM

1 posts, read 3,512 times
Ok, so my husband and I are moving to Ft. Hood. I will be working in either Waco or Austin but want to be closer to Ft. Hood for my husband. Any suggestions on areas? I keep hearing bad things about Killeen but that Harker Heights is Ok, is that true?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas