Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-30-2008, 09:14 AM

3,494 posts, read 14,382,695 times

Advertisements

yes that area should be ok.
no his GI bill will not pay for her tuition. that is something he has earned for himself.
regarding deployments, as long as she is living in a safe area off post, she will be ok. but my question is why not live on post? when i was an army wife a few years ago, i definitely loved living on post-i felt that sense of security-having everything right there in case my truck broke down-hospital, commissary, PX, and of course MP's (military police), and other army wives all around. (but then again, heck, just about anywhere you live here, you are surrounded by military families anyway, it just seems that there is not that "strong bonding" because you live farther apart off post.

Quote:
Originally Posted by peacemkr211 View Post
My daughter is a new Army wife and her husband's post is Ft. Hood. We are driving all the way from SC to TX on 4-5 with their dog and cat for her to join him. This will be her first move. Movers arrive tomorrow, 31st...anything special we need to know? She has everything down to a minimum and has it all itemized, numbered, etc. Any additional helpful hints from those of you who have experienced this would be great!

They will be living off post and I see a house in Harker Heights near Wal-Mart and Walgreens. Is that a safe area?

Can any tell me anything about Central Texas College as she plans to attend FT while he is deployed (June 08- July 09). Will his GI bill pay for her to attend?

Lastly, thoughts on her staying in TX (with cat and dog) while he is deployed or hauling everything back to SC? We know the Army will not move her back. Seems like a long time to be alone 1200 miles away from family??? I worry about her safety more than anything.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2008, 08:59 PM

2 posts, read 10,175 times
Default peacemkr211

There is no on post housing available. They are on the waiting list. I think they are 1031 out of 1071.... i am hoping they will get on post, but the list is long.

My daughter says the new GI bill does include spousal education as well..so maybe things have changed over the past few years??

Thanks for your response and pray for us and we travel to Texas and that on post housing will become available soon!

Old 03-30-2008, 09:23 PM

i will pray for you that you have a safe trip. how long will yall be in Texas?
if you would like, i can give you some really good recommendations on UNIQUE places to eat around here that are TOTALLY TEXAN...

Quote:
Originally Posted by peacemkr211 View Post
There is no on post housing available. They are on the waiting list. I think they are 1031 out of 1071.... i am hoping they will get on post, but the list is long.

My daughter says the new GI bill does include spousal education as well..so maybe things have changed over the past few years??

Thanks for your response and pray for us and we travel to Texas and that on post housing will become available soon!

Old 03-30-2008, 10:07 PM

2 posts, read 10,017 times
We are currently stationed at Ft. Hood we have been here for 7 years now. I feel that living off post is better. I would look into living in Harker Heights or Copperas Cove. Harker Heights is more nicer than Cove but both would provide you with safe neighborhoods and good schools. In Cove you child can start Pre-K begining as early is 3 yrs old. The commute to Temple about 40 mins from post. The commute from Heights is about 20mins, and the commute from Cove is about 15-20mins. Ft Hood is centrally located to everything if you don't mind driving. You can go to San Antonio, Dallas, Austin, and even Houston. I think if you come with an open mind you will love it.
Hope this is helpful.

Old 03-31-2008, 07:16 AM

i wouldnt say Harker Heights is "nicer" than Cove. i have been to several of my coworkers homes in Harker Heights and sure there are more "McMansions" there, so if it's that which qualifies it as "nicer", then sure, but Cove DEFINITELY has HH beat on views-we have the 5 "mountains", nice big rolling hills and valleys. I know my backyard view is breathtaking. My coworker friends in HH envy my view. I see better sunsets because of my elevation on a ridge..and my backyard view is a mountain.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rosyh126 View Post
We are currently stationed at Ft. Hood we have been here for 7 years now. I feel that living off post is better. I would look into living in Harker Heights or Copperas Cove. Harker Heights is more nicer than Cove but both would provide you with safe neighborhoods and good schools. In Cove you child can start Pre-K begining as early is 3 yrs old. The commute to Temple about 40 mins from post. The commute from Heights is about 20mins, and the commute from Cove is about 15-20mins. Ft Hood is centrally located to everything if you don't mind driving. You can go to San Antonio, Dallas, Austin, and even Houston. I think if you come with an open mind you will love it.
Hope this is helpful.

Old 04-16-2008, 12:29 PM

1 posts, read 3,912 times
Default Need Help with Relocating

We are moving to Ft. Hood Texas and have four children. I have one girl going into middle school, two seven year olds going into the second grade, and a 2 year old. I need to know the best location for military families. Schools are huge for me, and I need to know the best schools to locate around for them. I understand Harker Heights is a good location but I am having a lot of problems locating a realtry company that rents 4 bedroom homes. Unfortunately, post housing says we have to wait to register until we have signed in. Our sign in date is not until August 1st. Any ideas on a good company to look for 4 + bedroom home? Also, any site that I can go onto to look for DOD jobs around the post? Any advice is appreciated. Many thanks in advance.

Old 04-16-2008, 05:37 PM

there are TONS of 4 bedroom houses for rent. i found one here in Cove very quickly. just look on ft hood rentals link off of killeen daily herald's website. it includes all the realtors listings for rentals.
Harker Heights is nice-kinda upscale in parts, but i think Cove is prettier, more hills and seems farther apart from Killeen. the drive aint bad to post. i drive the Tank Destroyer gate from Cove so i avoid 190 all together. almost my whole commute is ON POST.
for DOD jobs, go to USAJOBS. i am a civilian working on post (Registered Nurse). what kind of job are you looking for?
if you want "country", Gatesville and Lampasas are great. and not too bad a commute to post.
i'd avoid Killeen, esp cuz of the schools.
welcome to Ft Hood! it's great here! where are ya PCS'ing from?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoyceRus View Post
We are moving to Ft. Hood Texas and have four children. I have one girl going into middle school, two seven year olds going into the second grade, and a 2 year old. I need to know the best location for military families. Schools are huge for me, and I need to know the best schools to locate around for them. I understand Harker Heights is a good location but I am having a lot of problems locating a realtry company that rents 4 bedroom homes. Unfortunately, post housing says we have to wait to register until we have signed in. Our sign in date is not until August 1st. Any ideas on a good company to look for 4 + bedroom home? Also, any site that I can go onto to look for DOD jobs around the post? Any advice is appreciated. Many thanks in advance.

Old 04-17-2008, 02:57 PM

30 posts, read 126,703 times
Default GI bill- DOD jobs-and housing

The GI bill can now be transferred to spouse (find info on onesource & VA sites)

for DOD jobs- go through cpol (armycivilian personal online), also thru USAjobs (this will also have VA & other branch positions)

housing- there is a website for ft hood housing in the online Killeen paper that has photos, and descriptions. also the fort hood sentinal has online homes for rent & sale

(belle- they are privatized housing now/ very differnt than what we used to have. and some posts are even starting to charge gas & electric.. you get a "portion" of your bah )

For me personally, I looked up the school systems- THEN started checking homes. Here's a listing of school systems, these are NOT in my preference, just typing them to research:

Killeen Copperas Cove Nolanville Lampasas Gatesville Harker Heights

We have just been reassigned and moving. Our home is a 4 bedroom. We may have to rent it out soon if we can't get a qualified buyer. This market has just made it tough for ANYONE to get a darn loan . If you are interested in details please email me private. Our house is in small town of Kempner (population 1004) and kids went to Lampasas ISD. I prefer small schools with teachers I can talk to- ask questions etc. It's an old cattle town, conservative small town values- and manners are expected.

Welcome to Texas and to Ft Hood

Old 04-17-2008, 05:45 PM

yep i lived on post at Ft Stewart a few years ago, and it was privatized, GMH. they were just installing meter readers for electric when i cleared housing. yikes. so much for air conditioning the outdoor patio ha ha...
dejavu...my lease is up in sept/oct. if i cant qualify for a mortgage, i will have to rent. and will be looking at kempner or gatesville.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dejavu2002 View Post
The GI bill can now be transferred to spouse (find info on onesource & VA sites)

for DOD jobs- go through cpol (armycivilian personal online), also thru USAjobs (this will also have VA & other branch positions)

housing- there is a website for ft hood housing in the online Killeen paper that has photos, and descriptions. also the fort hood sentinal has online homes for rent & sale

(belle- they are privatized housing now/ very differnt than what we used to have. and some posts are even starting to charge gas & electric.. you get a "portion" of your bah )

For me personally, I looked up the school systems- THEN started checking homes. Here's a listing of school systems, these are NOT in my preference, just typing them to research:

Killeen Copperas Cove Nolanville Lampasas Gatesville Harker Heights

We have just been reassigned and moving. Our home is a 4 bedroom. We may have to rent it out soon if we can't get a qualified buyer. This market has just made it tough for ANYONE to get a darn loan . If you are interested in details please email me private. Our house is in small town of Kempner (population 1004) and kids went to Lampasas ISD. I prefer small schools with teachers I can talk to- ask questions etc. It's an old cattle town, conservative small town values- and manners are expected.

Welcome to Texas and to Ft Hood

Old 10-14-2008, 09:51 AM

2 posts, read 10,554 times
look i recommend you live in killen but stay away from rancier, and fort hood st. nothing good out there. i used to live on trimmier rd. at stone creek apts. they are the best apts you can find. you have nothing to worry about living there because everything is down the street and its about 5 minutes from clear creek entrance to the post. And if you want to live in harker heights thats about 15-20 minute drive i hated living there because my husband could never come home for lunch and its very lonely out there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas