Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Is East Texas the Deep South?
Yes 175 73.53%
No 63 26.47%
Voters: 238. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-25-2012, 10:47 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,944,294 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
I would consider areas like Beaumont and Texarkana to be southern. I don't consider the DFW area to be particularly southern, especially Ft. Worth. I used to live in Ft. Worth. To me it isn't southern. To me, southern would be anywhere in the Piney Woods region/Gulf Region.
There's a distinction on this thread between "southern" and "Deep South." I haven't seen anyone argue that East Texas isn't southern - the question is, is it culturally part of the "Deep South?" What are your opinions on those designations? Also, what about northeast Texas - Longview, Tyler, Jefferson, Texarkana for instance?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2012, 08:30 AM

16,508 posts, read 26,319,530 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nairobi View Post
Hey, we're all entitled to our opinions, though. Moderator cut: Off-Topic
It is not a matter of opinion!

Is Shreveport culturally part of the deep south? Heck yea and that is fact.

Old 07-26-2012, 09:24 AM

8,928 posts, read 14,342,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annie_himself View Post

Old 07-26-2012, 09:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by annie_himself View Post

Last time I checked, Shreveport wasn't in East Texas. Even though apparently a lot of people who live in Shreveport consider themselves Texans.

Just sayin'. Thanks for helping to prove my point though!

Old 07-26-2012, 10:26 AM

73,024 posts, read 62,622,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
There's a distinction on this thread between "southern" and "Deep South." I haven't seen anyone argue that East Texas isn't southern - the question is, is it culturally part of the "Deep South?" What are your opinions on those designations? Also, what about northeast Texas - Longview, Tyler, Jefferson, Texarkana for instance?
In general, I don't consider Texas to be southern. However, East Texas comes relatively close to it. To me, the Deep South is anywhere from Louisiana to South Carolina. Culturally, East Texas is where the Deep South and the Southwest meet, in my opinion.

Old 07-26-2012, 11:55 AM

8,928 posts, read 14,342,561 times
Quote:
In general, I don't consider Texas to be southern. However, East Texas comes relatively close to it. To me, the Deep South is anywhere from Louisiana to South Carolina. Culturally, East Texas is where the Deep South and the Southwest meet, in my opinion.
I'm asking (for the hundredth time, it seems) how Louisiana is certainly the Deep South, but East Texas is not, when the two regions are 85% cultural parallels, outside of Southeast LA. And what is so distinctly southwestern about East Texas?

Old 07-26-2012, 12:14 PM

20,516 posts, read 33,551,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HtownLove View Post
You can't Get anymore Deep South Than East Texas.
Well in Texas you can't.

Old 07-26-2012, 12:24 PM

Quote:
This is my OPINION also. Except that I can see why people would call Texas "southern" considering it was part of the Confederacy, and East Texas particularly does have some southern traits.

"Deep South" is a subtle, but apparently quite relevant, difference - relevant emotionally that is.

Old 07-26-2012, 12:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
Well in Texas you can't.
LOL you got that right! That's a fine way to put it.

Old 07-26-2012, 12:27 PM

Quote:
Oh and one other point. You've been asked to explain why you don't think East Texas is part of the Deep South, when Louisiana is. My suggestion would be not to waste your time trying to explain it the differences. I provided links, examples, sources till I was blue in my southern gal face and it didn't sway the OPINIONS of some people one iota.

But if you think you have the fortitude, go right ahead!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas