Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-05-2012, 02:43 PM

3,309 posts, read 5,774,143 times

Advertisements

I disagree that it only insures a temporary slowdown. I think it is a good reminder that oops, I need to watch it and therefore you do. It's just a better reminder to watch your speed to me than a ticket (in as far as not suffering the bad consequences).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2012, 02:48 PM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

17,107 posts, read 38,116,197 times
Maybe the tradition is fading because many Texans believe the Urban Legend about flashing headlights?

Old 08-05-2012, 03:02 PM

3,309 posts, read 5,774,143 times
Too weird. I have never even heard of this (legend) myself, but I do flash my lights at night to signify to a person who has forgotten to turn on their lights. Of course as soon as they drive out of the lighted areas, they quickly discover for themselves their lights are off. Hmmm, wonder if the cops would ticket you for this as well?

Old 08-05-2012, 04:01 PM

751 posts, read 1,482,952 times
I think some of the reason has got to be either day time running lamps or auto headlamps. Not quite as quick to turn either of those on/off to signal someone about the po-po.

If someone flashes their brights at me though, then I think MY brights must be on.... Would not even dream that would be for radar warning.

Old 08-05-2012, 06:59 PM

15,446 posts, read 21,357,456 times
Wasn't some lady in Texas facing a felony charge recently when she was caught warning traffic of a speed trap? Not sure if that was in Texas or not.

One of my BILs who retired from the Oklahoma State Police always told me he appreciated radar detectors and CBs because all he had to do was flash his radar up and down the road and it slowed traffic in both directions. Ah but that was before small towns and communities had to start using their police for revenue enhancement.

Old 08-05-2012, 10:31 PM

374 posts, read 982,884 times
How does this Florida case translate in TX courts?
A judge says police are violating free speech when they ticket motorists who warn of radar traps | wtsp.com

Old 08-05-2012, 10:43 PM

374 posts, read 982,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by High_Plains_Retired View Post
Wasn't some lady in Texas facing a felony charge recently when she was caught warning traffic of a speed trap? Not sure if that was in Texas or not.

One of my BILs who retired from the Oklahoma State Police always told me he appreciated radar detectors and CBs because all he had to do was flash his radar up and down the road and it slowed traffic in both directions. Ah but that was before small towns and communities had to start using their police for revenue enhancement.
Here is the story of the woman.

TX woman jailed for warning motorists about speed trap - National Libertarian | Examiner.com

Old 08-06-2012, 01:02 AM

15,446 posts, read 21,357,456 times
That's the story although, when I first read about it, I am almost sure it said something about a felony warrant.

I'm not sure a Florida court judgement would carry any weight in another state but I don't know how these state courts work or think. From my experiences two states have to almost have a love affair going between each other to pay any attention to the others state's laws. The one I'm sort of following in Texas is the State's requirement that you have your vehicle licensed in Texas if you "reside" in the State. I don't know if this includes a temporary Texas residence or not but I had heard that people living in New Mexico, but working in El Paso, Texas, were getting harassed in Texas for not having Texas license plates and inspections. I have not been able to confirm this story though.

Old 08-06-2012, 06:15 AM

407 posts, read 829,931 times
Quote:

I heard that

Which shows it's not about public safety, but collecting revenue.

Old 08-06-2012, 01:04 PM

20,958 posts, read 45,410,702 times
Quote:
That's the story although, when I first read about it, I am almost sure it said something about a felony warrant.

I'm not sure a Florida court judgement would carry any weight in another state but I don't know how these state courts work or think. From my experiences two states have to almost have a love affair going between each other to pay any attention to the others state's laws. The one I'm sort of following in Texas is the State's requirement that you have your vehicle licensed in Texas if you "reside" in the State. I don't know if this includes a temporary Texas residence or not but I had heard that people living in New Mexico, but working in El Paso, Texas, were getting harassed in Texas for not having Texas license plates and inspections. I have not been able to confirm this story though.
That's been the law for as long as I can remember, and I got my driver's license in 1965. I don't think it has anything to do with Florida. I've known college students (living in Austin and environs for the last 40 years) who came here for school and didn't get a Texas license.

California requires that vehicles registered out of state that are brought into California be registered within 20 days of entry (except for non-resident military personnel stationed in California and their spouses who are exempt for that reason).

New Mexico requires it be done in 60 days.

Texas requires it be done in 30 days.

New York State, 30 days.

Every state that I checked had this requirement. Even New Mexico, so presumably Texas residents working in New Mexico would have the same problem.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas