Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-06-2012, 01:05 PM

20,958 posts, read 45,410,702 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trance750 View Post
I heard that

Which shows it's not about public safety, but collecting revenue.
Sigh. If you don't violate the speed limit, you won't get a ticket. If you violate the speed limit, you made a choice to violate the law, man up and admit it and accept the consequences without pretending it's about something other than what it is - you broke the law, and the law won!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2012, 06:43 PM

3,309 posts, read 5,774,143 times
If I may, let me mention again this thread was started to just see how many people knew what the double flash of the headlights on, lights off meant and if so, how many still practiced it.

It was never intended as a platform for the virtues of not speeding nor the penalties if one does. I was under the assumption that many do not know what it (lights on/off) meant.

Old 08-06-2012, 06:53 PM

11,431 posts, read 19,003,195 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lonestar2007 View Post
Any idea what it means when you see an approaching vehicle's lights flash on and then off, then on and then off and then a short pause and it starts again, on and off - on and off?

I still follow this practice (warning oncoming traffic that they are approaching an active radar), but I'm beginning to think most people don't have a clue as to what it means. I do see a few left who know what I am warning them of and they will give a wave of thanks as they go by me, but I'll tell you, it's getting to be less and less.

Maybe it's just the area I live in (DFW area) and it is still more active in other areas. I sure hate to see it die out, it has saved my butt a few times, that's for sure and I was forever grateful to the person who alerted me. Looks like people would be more than willing to return the favor.

Please note, this is just a post wondering how many are aware of this practice, it is not intended to start the age old debate of 'if you're doing the crime, you do the time' so to speak. You know what I mean here, just please, no posts about how you obey the law and never speed and if people cannot stay within the speed limits, they deserve a ticket. We all know that everyone is capable of slipping up at some time or other and just passing by a patrol car with an active radar gun is just as effective (well, almost )to slowing your butt down as a high dollar ticket is. I'll grant you, the high dollar ticket might encourage you somewhat more to keep an eye on your speed, but believe me, a close call also encourages you to watch your speed in the oncoming months as well because you know you got lucky and you might not be so lucky next time.

Also note, I am not some speed demon, nor do I approve of habitual speed demons. This is just a friendly warning for folks like myself who just happen to not be driving with one eye on their speed at the time for whatever reason and might be going a few miles over the posted limit.

So hopefully, there will be no sermons on the evils of speeding and the self-righteous statements of 'I don't ever speed and you shouldn't either and if you do, you should be hung, etc'. Let's just see who all is aware of the warning practice and what it means. Also, if you are aware of it, do you still do it or do you think that no one is going to return the favor, so why should I warn them? Hopefully not, but I'm afraid this might be the case and that's a shame.
There was a thread about this some time back. I am 48 and can remember my parents and grandfather doing this. So naturally, I've always extended the courtesy as well. But you're right. There are less and less doing it now. I blame it on the selfish attitude that younger ppl have now.

Old 08-06-2012, 06:57 PM

4,422 posts, read 6,259,038 times
I used to do it all the time in MA, but I hardly EVER see it done anymore. I think it's stupid that people can get a ticket for it. Is that in writing in the law books anywhere?

Old 08-06-2012, 07:00 PM

11,431 posts, read 19,003,195 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasHorseLady View Post
Sigh. If you don't violate the speed limit, you won't get a ticket. If you violate the speed limit, you made a choice to violate the law, man up and admit it and accept the consequences without pretending it's about something other than what it is - you broke the law, and the law won!
this is exactly the kind of comment that the OP did NOT want. Most drivers do their best to observe the speed limits. In fact, it is much easier now that interstates post 75 instead of the ridiculous 55 that they did in years past. If you travel long distances, it is possible that one's mind could wander and not realize that he is going over (unintentionally). Maybe the custom has gone because of the higher speed limits that are allowed now? It's much harder for me to exceed to go over 75 because I usually stick to the interstates and will not travel thru the small town speed traps.

Old 08-06-2012, 07:07 PM

20,958 posts, read 45,410,702 times
My apologies - it was, indeed, inappropriate in this thread. Does the person who made the comment regarding it being solely for revenue get the same slap on the wrist?

Old 08-06-2012, 07:12 PM

3,309 posts, read 5,774,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thenewtexan View Post
I used to do it all the time in MA, but I hardly EVER see it done anymore. I think it's stupid that people can get a ticket for it. Is that in writing in the law books anywhere?
Like I said, I always wait until I'm out of their view and then I warn the oncoming traffic for a few miles, then I figured the person coming up behind me can take the reins. Easy enough to do and hopefully I've saved some people from the expense of a ticket.

Old 08-06-2012, 08:01 PM

4,030 posts, read 10,764,526 times
I know what the light flash means. I still see it done occasionally, but not very often. When we lived in Midland, I saw it more often than I did in Houston. Hubby will still do it occasionally.

As for the law about having a TX drivers license after 30 days, it doesn't apply to temp residents like students. I've got a son who just graduated from A&M. He's got a OK drivers license and a car registered in OK. During his 4 years in College Station, he's had more than his fair share of occasions for the police to look at his license. Having a CS address and an OK license has never been a problem.

Old 08-06-2012, 10:31 PM

593 posts, read 1,378,357 times
I dont do that anymore bcuz i could b warning a drunk who needs to b picked up. More importantly, the police need to focus on others rather than myself thataway the other guys gettin the ticket instead of me

Old 08-07-2012, 06:56 AM

4,153 posts, read 9,267,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lonestar2007 View Post
Maybe it's just the area I live in (DFW area) and it is still more active in other areas. I sure hate to see it die out, it has saved my butt a few times, that's for sure and I was forever grateful to the person who alerted me. Looks like people would be more than willing to return the favor.

This is something you see more out on some stretch of open highway vs tooling around in the city...especially a large Metro like Dallas. Does the police even attempt to radar in the DFW area? I see a few cops along I-30 around Arlington & FT Worth and every once and a while on the Toll but that's it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas