Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-28-2012, 12:31 AM

43 posts, read 152,281 times

Advertisements

Or both?

Planning to move there next year... I'm currently in California, but a die hard Cowboys fan... just wondering if I'm going to be the enemy.
Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2012, 12:39 AM

12,969 posts, read 28,426,027 times
Silly, it's LONGHORNS country!

Hook 'em Horns!

Old 08-28-2012, 01:22 AM
JJG

13,612 posts, read 22,893,205 times
First off, yes, the Longhorns are more valued in Austin than ANY pro sports team.

And second, the Cowboys do have most of the state. And it's really not that big a deal.... for Cowboy fans, anyway.

Old 08-28-2012, 02:22 AM

2,057 posts, read 3,867,771 times
Yes, Longhorns are the pride of the city.

But if you really wanna know who's followed most between Texans and Cowboys in Austin, then its Cowboys. I'd say Texans are only valued in Houston Metro and not much more than that.

Old 08-28-2012, 03:05 AM

709 posts, read 1,400,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OpenD View Post
Silly, it's LONGHORNS country!

Hook 'em Horns!
^^^
4 more days

Hook'em Horns!

I grew up a huge Oilers fan, but after they left I gave up on pro football. The Fort Worth Cowboys and their arky piglet I find disgusting, and hiring Switzer was just to much for me to switch to them after the Oilers left. Hiring Switzer was seriously the biggest slap in the face to Texans I had ever seen. Nowadays the only pro teams I ever cheer for are whoever is playing against Dallas. Sometimes I watch other games and cheer for the Longhorns playing, but really don't care which team wins or loses.

If the Texans had drafted Young then I probably would have become a HUGE fan for life regardless of how well they did with him. But they didn't and I've never been able to get excited about them.

Last edited by BevoLJ; 08-28-2012 at 03:16 AM..

Old 08-28-2012, 05:39 AM

2,627 posts, read 6,572,438 times
1. Longhorns are the #1 team around here.
2. Cowboys and Texans fans are not enemies. The Texans aren't even in the NFC.
3. There are more Cowboys fans in Austin and all over the country due to all the bandwagon fans left over from the 90's Super Bowl wins.
4. The Cowboys fans in the area will go out and buy Texans gear if they win the Super Bowl or acquire VY or Colt McCoy as a backup QB.

--signed
bitter Chargers fan

Old 08-28-2012, 07:35 AM

13,714 posts, read 31,162,494 times
Vince Young is pathetic. I don't see how his presence on a pro team roster would make Austinites suddenly fans of that team. VY is currently an embarrassment to alumni of UT. They may love him for his UT play, but his NFL career has turned into a joke.

I think Cowboy fans dominate those who favor the NFL over the Longhorns. But I sense that Texas is changing steadily to pay more attention to the Texans the longer the Cowboys stay crappy. The Texans are playing well and the Cowboys may never be good again under Mr. Jones.

Old 08-28-2012, 07:38 AM

15,268 posts, read 35,622,212 times
There was some poll a few years back that said the most polarizing pro team was the Cowboys and it made them hugely marketable, not because people liked them (although a huge number of people do), but because people either love or hate them. As mentioned above, a LOT of people will tune in to cheer for them to lose. Their college counterpart was Notre Dame, either loved or despised.

As for the Texans - I, too, grew up an Oilers fan, but am not a huge NFL watcher these days. If I do, I actually find that the Texans are more enjoyable to watch than a lot of other teams. I like their 'star' players, which at least seem to be 'good' people from what I can tell - Schaub, Foster, and Andre Johnson (even though he went to Miami ) - and there is enough talent to win most games, although they don't usually . They do seem to steadily improve, even if just incrementally, which seems to me (an obvious casual observer) to indicate good management.

Old 08-28-2012, 08:26 AM

2,007 posts, read 2,903,440 times
I'm not a football person, but there are tons of people in my circles that are Saints fans! more than anything else. Maybe I just have a lot of New Orleans transplants friends.

Old 08-28-2012, 08:27 AM

2,627 posts, read 6,572,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoffdano View Post
Vince Young is pathetic. I don't see how his presence on a pro team roster would make Austinites suddenly fans of that team. VY is currently an embarrassment to alumni of UT. They may love him for his UT play, but his NFL career has turned into a joke.
I detect some underlying Aggie angst in the statement above. As long as Austinites still see that photo of Vince holding up the 2005 National Championship trophy in a lot of bars/restaurants around town, they will still think of him that way. People still walk around in #10 Titans jerseys around here. I do agree with your assessment though.

But, I guarantee that we'll see a lot of McCoy Packers/Broncos jerseys if he gets traded to one of those teams this year. However, I think that the Texans are the only NFL team that could win Austinites over because of Vince Young, especially if the Cowboys continue to underachieve.

To the Op, this thread will show that the real rivalry here is between Texas/A&M and there is no rivalry at all between Cowboys/Texans. I think Austinites generally want both Texas NFL teams to do well unless they are a transplant with a favorite team from "back home".

Last edited by mark311; 08-28-2012 at 08:35 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas