Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should Texas Pass an Open Carry Law for handguns?
Yes 46 58.23%
No 25 31.65%
Yes, maybe... 5 6.33%
No, but... 0 0%
Not Sure/Undecided 3 3.80%
A private citizen should NOT be allowed to carry at all 0 0%
Other (please explain) 0 0%
Voters: 79. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-28-2012, 09:21 PM

7,072 posts, read 9,621,687 times

Advertisements

Open Carry has been legal in Michigan, Ohio, and Wisconsin for decades. Not a problem in those states.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-29-2012, 11:37 AM

1,031 posts, read 1,452,022 times
Nope, I think they should stay concealed.

Old 10-29-2012, 12:09 PM

1,816 posts, read 2,514,048 times
After watching videos like
this, I'm convinced that the hassle caused by open carry would be far greater than the worth. Cops have better things to do then try to settle situations where people who openly carried get stopped because, well, guns, for many people, are frightening to see in the hands of people whom they don't know they can trust. Keep 'em concealed.

Old 10-29-2012, 07:52 PM

2,206 posts, read 4,748,829 times
Why would you want to advertise that you are armed?

Surprise is 90% of the fun.

OTOH I hope it comes to pass, that way someone who is OC will be the one to get birdogged.

Old 10-31-2012, 04:29 PM

437 posts, read 792,772 times
An armed society is a polite society. God bless us all. This used to be a hella country.

Old 11-01-2012, 06:11 AM

12,969 posts, read 28,443,557 times
CHL holder and lifelong shooting enthusiast here... and no, open carry is a bad idea.

A polite society is a polite society, and open carry is perceived as aggressive and rude by large segments of the public.

I have been in situations where someone came into a restaurant or cafe or hotel lobby with an unconcealed firearm, and I've seen what it does to people. It freaks them out! The entire dynamic of the place changes. The gun becomes the point of everyone's focus until it leaves the premises. Why would anyone want to do that to a bunch of other people?

Besides, with a CHL holder having the responsibility of making sure their gun is actually concealed, and not "printing," there's one more level of restraint against doing something rash that I think is a good thing. Police officers get ongoing training about when NOT to unholster their weapon, and when NOT to use deadly force, and they still mess up with alarming frequency. For a private citizen who is not subject to that level of training, the additional restriction of needing to keep their gun concealed is a useful damper on the possibility of runaway emotions or inappropriate actions.

Old 11-01-2012, 08:20 AM

1,985 posts, read 3,319,407 times
Absolutely not.

Old 11-01-2012, 08:51 AM

2,206 posts, read 4,748,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OpenD View Post
I have been in situations where someone came into a restaurant or cafe or hotel lobby with an unconcealed firearm, and I've seen what it does to people. It freaks them out! The entire dynamic of the place changes. The gun becomes the point of everyone's focus until it leaves the premises. Why would anyone want to do that to a bunch of other people? .
It is definitely intimidating in today's society.

I OC when on the family farms and when checking my leasees' operations. Even the hunters are intimidated by a person Open Carrying. Which is the point.

IMHO the open display of a weapon by a person or the covering of their face is the dividing line between a law abiding person and a criminal. It is a pretty clear cut distinction understood by most. Another good reason.

Old 11-01-2012, 08:57 PM

220 posts, read 454,247 times
I'd support open carry laws even though I'd prefer to concealed carry. It would be nice to have the option though.

What I'm really hoping will pass this legislative session is concealed carry on campus.

Campus Carry: What it IS and What it is NOT

Old 11-02-2012, 02:46 AM

1,985 posts, read 3,319,407 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John26 View Post
I'd support open carry laws even though I'd prefer to concealed carry. It would be nice to have the option though.

What I'm really hoping will pass this legislative session is concealed carry on campus.

Campus Carry: What it IS and What it is NOT
As a soon to be university student, I cannot disagree more emphatically. I will help fight off any temptations the Legislature has with brushing on this again.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas