Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-28-2013, 03:10 PM

3,309 posts, read 5,774,143 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by OducksFTW! View Post
Your response has to be the most civilized yet; if only Abbott and others have the same diplomacy and level-headedness as you. Which was the basis of this entire thread to begin with.

And I do believe that there is a need for some reform. Especially due to enforcement and who can and cannot be given the right to own a firearms.

And the fear of a 'police-state' is a bit far-fetched. I believe we are focusing too much on the possibility of a police-state whereas many countries around the world operate with stricter gun-laws than the US and they are not under some sort of military dictatorship. They are safer, their standard of living is higher, and some of them actually are thriving compared to the US.

BTW: FTW means For The Win.
I didn't ask you about FTW, another member did. Obviously, it can mean a lot of things, but whatever, it doesn't matter.

In the political maze this country is in at the present, I don't consider anything too far-fetched.

As to Texas politicians being embarrassing, well, I don't hold much truck with any politician, but give me a break. Look around the country and listen to some of the yay-hoo's the other states are putting out there as their golden boys and girls. Just yesterday I listened to that goofball Diane Feinstein on CBS Face the Nation sprouting her views on gun control. Here is a short excerpt from her ramblings.

FEINSTEIN: Well, that's absolutely not true. What we are trying to do is overall see that weapons -- I would like to see them all registered -- it's not in our bill -- but see that weapons are in the hands of responsible citizens, that they are used legally, not illegally, that they do not fall into the hands of gangs. Do you realize we have 150,000-plus gang members in this nation? When they go up against the police, it's generally an AK-47. You realize that police have had to break into gun stores to get weapons that would be stronger than the adversary they had?

She wants to see every gun registered. Well, sure, easier to round them all up. Meantime, let's place yearly tax on them, who's to stop them from doing it?

I laughed out loud when she made the comment about the police breaking into gun stores. First off, that makes the police as big of criminals as the criminals they are fighting. Second, let's not do anything about the gangs for crying out loud. They're out there and they're going to stay, but we're trying. Still too funny. As we say in Texas, steers try.

Okey, dokey, we can't do anything about drugs in this country and we all know it. We can't do anything about gangs, and we all know it. So, what's next? Oh, I know, let's crack down on the guns. By golly, that will do the trick!

This whole damn mess puts me in mind of a quack doctor, just treat the symptoms, never go to the root of the problem and try to find a cause or a cure.

I said it before and I'm saying it again, the problems we are having with the shootings in this country go far deeper than banning, registering, universal background checks, etc. We have too many people who are bringing their kids up by the hair of the head and in many cases this upbringing (or lack of upbringing) is surfacing in many undesirable traits. Some of these kids are so resentful, so eat up with rage that they allow it to take over their entire beings. So what do we do? Call them mentally insane.

Well, hell yeah, a person is mentally insane to do what these people have been doing, but I'll bet you more of it has to do with environment rather than chemical imbalance and this my friends, is preventable. But people want to strike out and the target today is . . . GUNS.

Well, give me a freaking break. Anyone who is seriously into righting the wrongs in this country simply cannot single one issue out and think that's the answer. They want to strike out against something, well why not hit on more than one base?

Look at the outrageous crimes that have been committed under the influence of drugs and even alcohol. Gangs? Seriously, the law enforcement can't get gangs out of our society? Oh, give me a break.

You anti-gun people say, individuals don't need these assault weapons. Well, you may be right, but who in hell are you to determine this. I say you don't need the filth and violence that you stream into your homes every day either, but obviously it's not up to me that you do it.

All of you people who are so out-spoken against guns, offer nothing else for the solution but to just ban guns. Come up with more options. If our legal system wasn't so all fired greedy and money hungry and start actually doing something about drugs, that would be a start. As to gangs, do away with them for crying out loud and oh yes buddy, it can be done.

Look at what your kids are growing upon. Have you even looked at the contents of the video games you buy them for presents? Do you even have a clue as to what they are watching at the movies and on the TV? Do you even have a clue as to who their friends are, who they hang out with? Well, you should make the effort to find out if you don't know.

Also, these yay-hoos who think they are going down in a blaze of glory taking out as many people as they can? HAH! Make it known and no mistake about it that their name will never be released to the general public and no problem with that in case of a trial, that sucker will never stand trial, he will never leave the scene of his crime except in a body bag. And he will know that going in, that he is just going to be a body in a body bag, no one will ever know who he is and what he did. I am not talking about the victim's families here, they certainly have the right to know. No, I'm talking the general public. They want to go down in the history books? Hah! Only way they're going down is in a blast of bullets and a body bag as a nameless gunman.

But the point is, you want to say Texas politicians are embarrassing? Start listening to some of these other jerks. If your definition of being civilized and level headed falls into the same category as these slick willies such as Feinstein and those fool leaders in NY, then believe you me, I want to be the most irrational and outrageous kid on the block. So stick that in your pipe and smoke it.

Another thing, I believe most law abiding people who own their guns tend to mind their own business and are so unlike the in-your-face gang who likes to tell everyone what they can and cannot do, what they need and do not need, it is laughable. Hell's bells, like I said, I don't think you need all the filth and violence you stream into your house on a daily basis, but I'm not on every talk show I can get on promoting my ideas as the alpha and omega. But I damn sure will fight back when backed in a corner. I'm a pretty laid back person and I hate to be so out spoken as I am being on this subject, but I feel as strongly about it (of course in a completely different way) as you do.

So all I can say is . . . this old laid back gal is going to stand her ground on this issue and I believe a lot of others will too. As they also say in Texas . . grab the horns, get the bull, so bring it on, this is going to be one helluva fight and I mean this from the bottom of my heart.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2013, 05:10 PM

10,239 posts, read 19,610,755 times
Quote:
And the fear of a 'police-state' is a bit far-fetched.
I am sure everyone who ever lived under one probably thought it was an unlikely possibility to ever happen. But somehow? History is shot thru with that exact same thing....

Quote:
I believe we are focusing too much on the possibility of a police-state whereas many countries around the world operate with stricter gun-laws than the US and they are not under some sort of military dictatorship. They are safer, their standard of living is higher, and some of them actually are thriving compared to the US.
Uhhhh, there are many other countries that have even looser gun control laws than does the U.S....and lower crime rates. Switzerland comes to mind. Also, name ONE country, with these "gun control laws" whose violent crime rates have actually gone DOWN, by passing them.

That is the thing the gunphobics do. They seize upon a lower crime rate in certain countries...but either dont know or dont care...or flat a$$ ignore, that gun control did nothing at all to lower the violent crime rates after the said where passed. In other words, crime rates were ALWAYS lower in those countries. So? When stricter gun laws were passed? They did nothing but make it criminal for law-abiding citizens to protect themselves from those who knew their victims could no longer do so...

And also, who gives a damn what you are thinking we are focussing too much on? It is your side that needs to prove how gun control works. Hasn't so far, has it? Or has it? If so, then go for it. With the above qualifications...

Quote:
Yeah, but I sorta doubt that is the way you really originally intended it. Or perhaps it is a double-entrendre

Old 01-28-2013, 08:06 PM

751 posts, read 1,482,952 times
Quote:
And the fear of a 'police-state' is a bit far-fetched. I believe we are focusing too much on the possibility of a police-state whereas many countries around the world operate with stricter gun-laws than the US and they are not under some sort of military dictatorship. They are safer, their standard of living is higher, and some of them actually are thriving compared to the US.

How do you account for the violence in Mexico, what with their very strict gun laws? Are they safer? Is their standard of living higher?

Old 01-29-2013, 01:18 PM

1,000 posts, read 1,806,421 times
Oducks, when the US government rounded up japanese-americans and forcibly put them in internment camps, is that the type of non-farfetched police state action that you are OK with?

Quote:
Your response has to be the most civilized yet; if only Abbott and others have the same diplomacy and level-headedness as you. Which was the basis of this entire thread to begin with.

And I do believe that there is a need for some reform. Especially due to enforcement and who can and cannot be given the right to own a firearms.

Old 01-31-2013, 07:23 AM

561 posts, read 972,700 times
Ok so you guys want no new gun laws. Things are peachy the way they are.

Is that what you're trying to say? The government is going to head into a police state and so if it tries to touch anything then we're heading toward a dictatorship or a military coup?

If that is your stance then so be it.

Oh they might actually start checking for people with mental instability and deny them gun rights. Oh but if the big bad government starts doing that then surely we're heading for a police-state.

Old 01-31-2013, 11:33 AM

1,000 posts, read 1,806,421 times
What I am saying is that it isn't so far fetched when the government acts like a police state, a mere 70 years ago, the US government decided to put japanese-americans in internment camps, while at the same time the german government was actively killing its own citizens in their camps.

Believing that it is IMPOSSIBLE for history to repeat itself is a naive way to go through life.

Quote:

Is that what you're trying to say? The government is going to head into a police state and so if it tries to touch anything then we're heading toward a dictatorship or a military coup?

Oh they might actually start checking for people with mental instability and deny them gun rights. Oh but if the big bad government starts doing that then surely we're heading for a police-state.

Old 01-31-2013, 11:39 AM

9,191 posts, read 21,878,251 times
Quote:

The government could very easily head into a police state--I fear my government, and I don't like the big-brother aspects of it, all in the name of "protecting" us.

As one other poster said, don't be misled into thinking that it couldn't happen.

Old 01-31-2013, 01:05 PM

1,985 posts, read 3,319,407 times
Jesus, you guys sure must have a lot of time on your hands. Y'all should just write a book or something. It might make more of a difference.

Old 01-31-2013, 02:26 PM

9,191 posts, read 21,878,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Austinite101 View Post
Jesus, you guys sure must have a lot of time on your hands. Y'all should just write a book or something. It might make more of a difference.
Hey, look at the pot calling the kettle black....LOL!!!

Old 01-31-2013, 03:54 PM

1,985 posts, read 3,319,407 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cathy4017 View Post
Hey, look at the pot calling the kettle black....LOL!!!
I've never heard that one before. I was referring to the massive posts some of y'all are posting.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
View detailed profiles of: