Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-31-2007, 09:42 AM

17 posts, read 58,032 times

Advertisements

Hi,

we are currently in nj. i was born & raised here, but he was raised in the mid-west.

we are looking at a few states to visit before relocating & hope you can help with suggestions on areas.

We are looking for;
-small rural/farming and friendly community, 75+ acres for horses/cattle. i ride/compete with my horses as a hobby.

-we hate the winter, so looking for a place that has no snow with mild winters. I don't mind the heat to much as long as it's not in the 100s too often.

-schools with FFA and/or rodeo teams.

-can be 45-60mins to work/stores/doctors/etc.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-31-2007, 12:48 PM

3,702 posts, read 18,216,670 times
Well a lot of places in Texas can fit that description, but if you like trees and lush pastures, I would try northeast TX. Maybe around the Tyler area. Access to everything you need and a short trip to Dallas.

Old 12-31-2007, 04:04 PM

1,678 posts, read 4,011,950 times
Myself, I would look in communities in S. Central Texas, but they can get hot during the summer (100 degrees plus for around 10 days each year on average). Winters down in that part get very little snow, some years not at all! NE Texas is nice, like the above poster mentioned, but can be very humid and oppressive during the summer months.

Ian

Old 01-01-2008, 06:03 PM

14 posts, read 50,325 times
Does the area have to be green? Try the Levelland/Lubbock areas, try around Fredericksburg, anything more east of that and you might be smooshed by the humidity. Good luck.

Old 01-01-2008, 06:48 PM

1,156 posts, read 2,381,530 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaRanch View Post
Hi,

we are currently in nj. i was born & raised here, but he was raised in the mid-west.

we are looking at a few states to visit before relocating & hope you can help with suggestions on areas.

We are looking for;
-small rural/farming and friendly community, 75+ acres for horses/cattle. i ride/compete with my horses as a hobby.

-we hate the winter, so looking for a place that has no snow with mild winters. I don't mind the heat to much as long as it's not in the 100s too often.

-schools with FFA and/or rodeo teams.

-can be 45-60mins to work/stores/doctors/etc.

Thanks!
Rosebud, Seaton, Cyclone all fit the bill. The people are of Germa/Czech descent. Small little cafes where locals get together. Emphasis on community. I own farmland there, and it's where my dad grew up. I heartily recommend it to anyone.

Old 01-01-2008, 09:36 PM

3,266 posts, read 5,634,301 times
Stephenville is arguably the rodeo capital of Texas.

I am smooshed by humidity in SE Texas but FFA is strong around here and we have much less issues with drought than other areas (see the humidity comment). Cut hay at least 3 times a season and pastures stay nice and green with our frequent rains!

East of I 45 and south of I 20 is best pasturelands and are better the further south one travels (because of rains from the Gulf of Mexico). No snow and haven't hit triple digit temps here in humid SE Tx in over 5 years ('99 though we had 17 straight days of it up to 107 ... bad times).

Major areas for work depends on what you are looking for. Tons of work along the coast with good money for crafts. Oil is booming! Tech jobs probably thrive more around DFW but also look in Austin, San Antonio, and for sure Houston!

Also how afraid of hurricanes are you? Lotsa coastal areas could meet your criteria ... especially along the I 10 corridor between Beaumont and Houston and also just west of Houston!

I like the Tyler area too!

Central Texas definitely gets colder and is more apt to get snow plus it's lower humidities is a direct function of their less vegetation and less rain! Its beautiful but the cow per acre ratio goes up the further west one goes!

JMHO!

Old 01-02-2008, 07:19 AM

5,406 posts, read 13,278,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobTex View Post
es).

Central Texas definitely gets colder and is more apt to get snow plus it's lower humidities is a direct function of their less vegetation and less rain! Its beautiful but the cow per acre ratio goes up the further west one goes!

JMHO!
I live in Central Texas, and I can assure you the humidity is not low here. We also get very hot summers and the temps can be above 100. There are years though that triple digits aren't reached, but the humidity makes the summers miserable no matter what.

What do most people on these forums define as Central Texas? I live north of Waco and that's about as central as one can get. We do get snow occasionally, but it's not often and not much. The best snow we ever had was in 1980. I think we received around 10 inches.

Here are a few links to maps of Texas and how the state is divided.

ESRL : PSD : Climate Division Map

Texas Region Locator Map - TourTexas.com

On the first map, I show to be in the North Central Texas area. I think there should be another area stated as plain old Central Texas.

On the region map, I'm in the Prairies and Lakes region.

As one can see, they both cover a large area.

I vote for the Hill Country. Actually in some of the areas of it and according to statistics, the humidity comfort level is a tad lower than where I live. I'm referring to Kerrville, Fredericksburg, Junction, and a few other places.

Another thing I've noticed on the stats in those areas is that they've never had excessive heat occurrences like we do in my area and the Dallas/Fort Worth area. There have been many deaths due to the heat in so many counties in the places in which I've been researching. That has got to mean that some places in Texas, the summer isn't as miserable as where I now reside.

If anyone is interested in that type of information, here is the link:

NCDC Storm Events-Select State

Moderator cut: linking to competitors sites is not allowed

Last edited by Yac; 01-08-2008 at 04:31 AM..

Old 01-02-2008, 05:49 PM

17 posts, read 58,032 times
Thanks for the info everyone!

Do the mentioned towns of Stephenville, Rosebud, Seaton, Cyclone,Germa/Czech get tornadoes & the like?

I've been trying to do so much research but sometimes it's just better to hear it right from those who actually live in the areas!

Old 01-02-2008, 06:08 PM

9,249 posts, read 26,697,972 times
German/Czech isn't a town, he was stating the makeup of the people who live there and or founded the town.

Old 01-03-2008, 11:33 AM

7,138 posts, read 14,640,781 times
Here is a website which might give you an idea of what small Texas farms are out there. Also might be a good resource for further information. Best of luck.

Local Harvest / Farmers Markets / Family Farms / CSA / Organic Food
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas