Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-01-2015, 02:25 PM

10,097 posts, read 10,013,648 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hooky hornstein View Post
Well, as much as I would like to completely agree with radiolibre99 and side against david449 simply because I favor the political leanings and posting style of the former over the latter, I will say that environmentalists in the Austin area have cited the fragile habitat of endangered critters a time or two to try to halt or slow developers.

At one point (I'm thinking mid-80s) construction was halted on development in northwest Austin because it threatened the nesting of the Golden-cheeked Warbler.

And in the early '90s, the habitat of the Barton Springs Salamander was used to stop development plans by Freeport-McMoRan that could've potentially had an adverse affect on the Edwards Aquifer.

As for San Antonio, I don't know.

And the motivations of Democrats and/or Liberals in Texas run deep and wide. Some are green. Some are populist.

The values of blue collar populism radiolibre99 and hound 109 referenced earlier are those of the more traditional Texas Dems who ruled the state for 120 years.
Yes and that's who I stand with. I really just can't fathom why someone would halt progress for an endangered animal, especially much needed progress. In this stagnant national economy, you need all the help you can get.

But Austin is another matter entirely. It has a lot of greens and crunchy types. They remind me a lot of the coastal liberals at times.

I remember creating a post in the Austin forum asking the Austinites just what makes Austin so progressive? Many couldn't answer outside of food co-ops, vegan shops and an overall eclectic live and let live vibe.

I was asking them that if they're so proud of being the oasis in a desert, then what policies have they actually implemented that makes them like the progressive cities of San Francisco, Portland, Seattle, LA, Minneapolis or even Madison, WI? They couldn't answer except to say that they're contained by the Texas constitution.

I retorted by saying that Harris County has a pretty extensive public healthcare program that helps low income residents. That Houston also has a pretty extensive affordable housing initiatives too.

Austin to me is like Whole Foods; liberal crunchy in appearance but libertarian on operation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2015, 03:01 PM

112 posts, read 165,381 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by radiolibre99 View Post
Austin to me is like Whole Foods; liberal crunchy in appearance but libertarian on operation.
Hmm.... I'd really argue with that if I could, but it's kind of spot-on. Touché.

Old 07-02-2015, 07:47 AM

163 posts, read 199,214 times
Sorry to burst your bubble guys, but here ya go:

Spider stops construction at 1604/151

Blind Spider stops construction of 151 & 1604 interchange. FYI, this is the fastest growing section of the city plagued with nightmarish traffic problems.

Old 07-02-2015, 09:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by davis449 View Post
Sorry to burst your bubble guys, but here ya go:

Spider stops construction at 1604/151

Blind Spider stops construction of 151 & 1604 interchange. FYI, this is the fastest growing section of the city plagued with nightmarish traffic problems.
Did the federal US wildlife ask the TXDOT to stop the project? Either way this is ridiculous.

Old 07-02-2015, 02:01 PM

657 posts, read 740,398 times
Lol those Austin types are a joke. I know EXACTLY what your describing radiolibre...usually come from money, never worked a hard day in their life, love to bring up diversity and open minded but wont live in a non white area. These same people lock their car doors as soon as they get to Houston lol.

Old 07-02-2015, 02:54 PM

112 posts, read 165,381 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theone33 View Post
Lol those Austin types are a joke. I know EXACTLY what your describing radiolibre...usually come from money, never worked a hard day in their life, love to bring up diversity and open minded but wont live in a non white area. These same people lock their car doors as soon as they get to Houston lol.
How old is your car?

I don't think I've driven one in the last 20 years that didn't lock its own doors whenever it's put in gear - regardless of what city or neighborhood I'm in.

But seriously, I see your point. I'm a native Austinite and a liberal who values the environment, but I'm like the exact opposite of everything you describe. Grew up on Ea'side and my job takes me into the Third Ward monthly. I feel like I live on Elgin Street, I spend so much time on it. Love the people and the atmosphere.

That said, you're right about a lot of Austinites. Many of them in north central Austin where I work are the kind my father used to describe as having "more dollars than sense."

But would you like to know the one thing in Houston I really really envy?

James Freaking Coney Island.

OMG! I could eat a dozen of those things. They're like crack! If I lived in Houston, I'd have $50/day hot dog habit, weigh 300 lbs and be dead in a year.

And die happy.

Old 07-02-2015, 08:15 PM

657 posts, read 740,398 times
Haha james coney is the ****!! Do you think Houston scares a lot of Austin folk hooky?

Old 07-03-2015, 09:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by theone33 View Post
Haha james coney is the ****!! Do you think Houston scares a lot of Austin folk hooky?
The way they rant about it is insane. I remember visiting Austin several times during my college years and reading idiotic op eds in the Daily Texan about how terrible Houston is. They were obviously written by young know nothings who grew up outside the loop in some suburb of Houston and never ventured into the city to explore it. Houston may not have the natural landscape of the hill country but as a city it's far and above more culturally relevant and has way more amenities.

Austinites think Houston is a boring suburb outside the loop and a ghetto inside the loop. Houston's character is mix of urban black, Hispanic and rich upper crust in the city while Austin is more homogenous in both race and culture.

Old 07-03-2015, 10:22 AM

7,891 posts, read 11,413,575 times
Texans have a lot of state pride. Visitors see no reason for that pride from the looks of the state.

Living in Texas is different from most U.S. States. How many other states havea part time legislature for example?

Some of us like this and many do not. But it makes Texas a somewhat unique option. It's nice to have choices which are different not just because of weather and scenery.

Texans come across as arrogant more often than residents of other states than perhaps California. I have seen that stereotype along with those created by Hollywood of desert and the biased media about Texas. I ignore the comments or respond with the part time legislature to generate more useful discussion.

Old 07-03-2015, 11:10 AM

New Yorkers are the only people that match Texans in terms of pride.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas