Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-03-2016, 09:49 PM

4,422 posts, read 6,261,700 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
One extreme or the other. The truth lies somewhere in the middle. Get your head out of the sand and quit believing everything you see on any one media outlet.
There's CNN, MSNBC, CSPAN, ABC, CBS, NPR,....and then there's FOX. I watch it for entertainment purposes only.

We're getting off topic. Texas schools are mediocre. The top 10 percent of schools in wealthy communities are among the best in the nation, and that's great. Honestly answer this, though. Do you really think it's worth it to the remaining 90 percent to potentially lose $11,000,000,000? In the name of LGBT bigotry? It just makes no sense. Texas schools are not THAT good.

Old 06-04-2016, 06:03 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,959,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thenewtexan View Post
There's CNN, MSNBC, CSPAN, ABC, CBS, NPR,....and then there's FOX. I watch it for entertainment purposes only.

We're getting off topic. Texas schools are mediocre. The top 10 percent of schools in wealthy communities are among the best in the nation, and that's great. Honestly answer this, though. Do you really think it's worth it to the remaining 90 percent to potentially lose $11,000,000,000? In the name of LGBT bigotry? It just makes no sense. Texas schools are not THAT good.
Here's what I don't appreciate - I don't appreciate strong arm tactics from our government - ANY party of our government. And I do not think the force of the law is behind this latest edict from our President, who is on his way out anyway and will probably not have any means to follow through with this illegal threat. So I don't think there's any real danger of losing that funding.

Texas schools have some unique challenges, including a very high percentage of students for whom English is a second language, often not even spoken at home. In spite of this significant challenge, Texas ranks #3 in the nation for high school graduation rate, exceeded only by two very racially monogamous states - Iowa and Nebraska.
High School Graduation Rates by State
High School Graduation | State public health statistics | America's Health Rankings

And by the way, I watch MSNBC for entertainment purposes only. I think Rachel Maddow is especially entertaining.

Old 06-04-2016, 08:38 AM

4,422 posts, read 6,261,700 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
Here's what I don't appreciate - I don't appreciate strong arm tactics from our government - ANY party of our government. And I do not think the force of the law is behind this latest edict from our President, who is on his way out anyway and will probably not have any means to follow through with this illegal threat. So I don't think there's any real danger of losing that funding.

Texas schools have some unique challenges, including a very high percentage of students for whom English is a second language, often not even spoken at home. In spite of this significant challenge, Texas ranks #3 in the nation for high school graduation rate, exceeded only by two very racially monogamous states - Iowa and Nebraska.
High School Graduation Rates by State
High School Graduation | State public health statistics | America's Health Rankings

And by the way, I watch MSNBC for entertainment purposes only. I think Rachel Maddow is especially entertaining.
...and that's a great statistic. As a Texan, I'm proud of it. It still doesn't justify forfeiting $11 billion just because the governor has an axe to grind with the LGBT community and Obama. There's another way to solve a damn bathroom issue. Why sacrifice what we've achieved in the name of bigotry? Again, it makes no sense. There's still plenty of work to be done:

Quality Counts 2016: State Report Cards Map - Education Week

By the way, I also think Rachel Maddow is entertaining.

Old 06-05-2016, 06:11 AM

Quote:
...and that's a great statistic. As a Texan, I'm proud of it. It still doesn't justify forfeiting $11 billion just because the governor has an axe to grind with the LGBT community and Obama. There's another way to solve a damn bathroom issue. Why sacrifice what we've achieved in the name of bigotry? Again, it makes no sense. There's still plenty of work to be done:

Quality Counts 2016: State Report Cards Map - Education Week

By the way, I also think Rachel Maddow is entertaining.
My point is that we're not going to have to forfeit that money - Obama doesn't have the legal power to withdraw that money and Abbot knows it. It was nothing but grandstanding and Abbot called his bluff.

Old 06-06-2016, 10:17 AM

5,265 posts, read 6,409,031 times
Quote:
My point is that we're not going to have to forfeit that money - Obama doesn't have the legal power to withdraw that money and Abbot knows it.
Yes, Obama/the Federal Government does-that's what the court case is about. The Federal Government is 100% able to lay regulations on states to receive federal money, and does it in regards to schools, highways, and everything else. If the courts find Texas is in violation, then Texas will lose federal money. How much is again dependent upon the findings in the court case. If Texas defies the courts, then the Feds can send in troops. Do you all not remember the 1960s?

Abbott actually probably doesn't care, as he's against spending money on school lunch and disadvantaged kids in the first place. Either way, it's a win/win for him.

Old 06-06-2016, 02:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOverdog View Post
Yes, Obama/the Federal Government does-that's what the court case is about. The Federal Government is 100% able to lay regulations on states to receive federal money, and does it in regards to schools, highways, and everything else. If the courts find Texas is in violation, then Texas will lose federal money. How much is again dependent upon the findings in the court case. If Texas defies the courts, then the Feds can send in troops. Do you all not remember the 1960s?
CNN disagrees with you, for what it's worth:

Quote:

Education advocates said that no clash with the U.S. Education and Justice departments would ever likely get to the fund-withholding stage, even if it is possible.
And some elected officials are asserting that departments' interpretation of Title IX, the federal anti-discrimination law in education, is actually an expansion that can only be done by the legislative branch.

The guidance doesn't specifically say that funds will be stopped if a district or college doesn't heed it.
"We don't have clear guidance" from the Education Department on whether funds would be withheld, said Deborah Rigsby, the National School Boards Association's director for federal legislation.
The paper issued Friday by the departments of Education and Justice "adds another voice to an ongoing conversation about how gender identity is addressed, and expresses an interpretation of Title IX that is unsettled law," the NSBA said in a news release.
Transgender guidance: Would schools lose funds? - CNNPolitics.com

Besides that, most public schools only receive about 10 percent of their funds from the federal government.

Quote:
Abbott actually probably doesn't care, as he's against spending money on school lunch and disadvantaged kids in the first place. Either way, it's a win/win for him.
What do you base this on? Please provide a source to back your assertions. Thanks.

Old 06-06-2016, 03:56 PM

10,097 posts, read 10,015,571 times
Honestly, I see this who debacle as unraveling the 'science' behind transgender theory. Bathrooms are divided based on sex and transgendered people are biologically the opposite of the gender they identify with. Unless they are arguing that they are biologically that sex (which many activists are starting to do), it's going to be a tough sell. Although the next step is to start claiming that sex is merely a biological construct and they're using intersex people as evidence of their claims of them also being biologically female. That alone opens up another can of worms.

Old 06-06-2016, 06:43 PM

12,950 posts, read 13,349,576 times
Why don't you people check out this Government spending & debt website before y'all start bashing how terrible the republicans are for not wanting to implode like California & Illinois in a mountain of debt & taxes?
It'll show federal, state & local debt & spending:

Government Spending Details in $ billion: Texas State Local for 2016 - Charts

Use the chart & graph functions in case the numbers get too big & confusing for you.

Old 06-07-2016, 02:36 PM

14,888 posts, read 10,040,171 times
Quote:
Bigotry? Interesting words coming from someone DEFENDING bigotry. Thanks for the insightful suggestion.
I'm defending bigotry because I don't want politicians in DC telling Texas how to run it's schools?

Bless your ignorant little heart.

Old 06-08-2016, 06:59 AM

1,535 posts, read 1,392,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by philopower View Post
accept Obama's transgender bathroom directive. Think about that for a second. The people Y'ALL elected are willing to sacrifice the quality of YOUR child's education for an issue as small as trans people being able to choose which bathroom to use.
My opposition to B.O's order is based more on the fact that it is a blanket order issued by somebody many times removed from local schools.

Obviously, transgender accomodations need to be applied on an individual basis by local authorities. These accomodations (if they are truly warranted), can take many forms.

Instead, Obama issues a blanket order from Washington that permits anybody who claims to be transgendered to use any bathroom they want and under any circumstances they want. Have you ever notived that authoratarians, either on the left or the right, are very fond of giving blanket orders?

Quote:
...and that's a great statistic. As a Texan, I'm proud of it. It still doesn't justify forfeiting $11 billion just because the governor has an axe to grind with the LGBT community and Obama.
Obama is the one giving blanket orders to what are obviously individual situations. As for the reference to gays, I wonder how many want this issue pressed? Many Houston area gays were evidently surprised by the mayor's attempt to dictate bathroom use policy. That does not mean they rebuked it. Rather, they were not supportive of the issue being pursued.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas