Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-20-2008, 02:24 PM

730 posts, read 2,253,634 times

Advertisements

I relate- most people around me (NWA Arkansas) refer to soda of any sort as a "coke". Recently my son started saying this (and stopped quickly) because when taking drink orders at a resturaunt the waitstaff would ask what he wanted he would say "a coke" and then start to specify which kind- but they had already moved on to the next person's order. As we get more transplants in this area- I wonder if the "coke" thing will be passed down. I also crack up over "hand me an orange"- which means I'd like a sunkist or whatever orange sodas. Why does that apply to only orange and grape. Why aren't calling everything it's color- not it's name. I need some white for my cereal.lol
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2008, 02:45 PM

52,683 posts, read 47,932,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JVTX72 View Post
Why do TEXANS refer to all soda as coke? Probably the same reason YANKEES call it soda or pop. Regional slang! And most Texans I know refer to a carbonated drink as a "soda water". Besides most Texans, I believe, Prefer DrPepper, not Coke!
Well, you could Texify a Yankeeism by referring to carbonated drinks as sodie-pop. Sounds like something from Yosemite Sam. But when I order something over the counter, I have to be specific, too. There's just no getting around it.

Old 02-20-2008, 02:53 PM

6,884 posts, read 20,399,779 times
I've never been to a restaurant where you didn't order what you wanted by name (i.e. Sprite, Dr. Pepper, etc). At home or with friends, it's different. That's where you'll hear "Wanna coke?" and the response, "Yeah, whatcha got?" followed by "Uh....Coke, Dr. Pepper, and Root Beer."

Old 02-20-2008, 03:00 PM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

17,107 posts, read 38,096,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonrise View Post
Not true, I live in SC and if anyone referred to all soda as coke they'd look at you like you have 3 heads.
And the map I posted, which is backed by research and not just someone's opinion, doesn't disagree with you. There are pockets of SC that use the term soda, but the majority of the state is "coke" country.

Old 02-20-2008, 03:04 PM

52,683 posts, read 47,932,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bowie View Post
And the map I posted, which is backed by research and not just someone's opinion, doesn't disagree with you. There are pockets of SC that use the term soda, but the majority of the state is "coke" country.
Yeah, but you have to wonder what those Pepsi people must be thinking now....

Old 02-20-2008, 03:20 PM

12,229 posts, read 21,492,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfre81 View Post
"All I wanted was a Coke, just one Coke, and she wouldn't give it to me..."
Somehow it doesn't have the same ring to it!

Old 02-20-2008, 03:45 PM

4,657 posts, read 8,709,053 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CallMeLaura View Post
The ice cream analogy is flawed. Using Coke is no different than Kleenex, Band-Aids, Kool-aid, or Xerox, which are all trademarked names that are commonly used for the non-trademarked brands of the same basic item.

Totally wrong; Kleenex, though a brand name is tissue like any other tissue, band aids, though a name brand is like any other bandage, xerox same thing. Add Jello to your analogy, although actually flavored gelatin, no different than any other lesser known brand.

You're right, my ice cream analogy was a bad one but my BMW one is right on the mark. While all cars share some similarity it would be absurd to refer to a Trailblazer as a BMW just as it's totally absurd to refer to all soda as coke. Here's why your analogy is wrong however, all of the items listed are nearly identical to their lesser known competitor. They are brand names that have transcended their name and replaced the item name with the product itself. Coke has absolutely nothing in common with Sprite other than they're both carbonated flavored beverages. Coke; cola flavored, Sprite; lemon lime. To refer to Sprite as Coke is not only factually incorrect, it's stupid.

Old 02-20-2008, 03:52 PM

898 posts, read 2,562,284 times
I dont really get that here in SA. Maybe its all the suburbanites from different places, but i dont think ive ever been to a restaurant and asked for a coke and not got a coca-cola. I call it soda and I'm a native.

Old 02-20-2008, 03:56 PM

4,657 posts, read 8,709,053 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JVTX72 View Post
Why do TEXANS refer to all soda as coke? Probably the same reason YANKEES call it soda or pop. Regional slang! And most Texans I know refer to a carbonated drink as a "soda water". Besides most Texans, I believe, Prefer DrPepper, not Coke!
But it's not regional slang and what's with the all caps Yankee thing anyway?. I live in SC and the Civil War's been over for over 100 years. Sheesh! Other than Texas and I guess some other small pockets of the country close by, everyone else in the nation refers to it as either soda or pop. I was just curious how this came about. When I did ask this to my Texas coworkers and explained that coke is a cola flavored beverage and sprite is lemon lime, therefore they're not in any way interchangeable they agreed right away and didn't know how it came about.

Old 02-20-2008, 04:03 PM

10,239 posts, read 19,598,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CallMeLaura View Post
The ice cream analogy is flawed. Using Coke is no different than Kleenex, Band-Aids, Kool-aid, or Xerox, which are all trademarked names that are commonly used for the non-trademarked brands of the same basic item.
Absolutely right, Laura! That was exactly the point I was going to make!

Bowie wrote:
Quote:
Absolutely right as well, Bowie. As you said originally, it is a Southern thing and likely started because of coke originating in Georgia as the first major soft drink whose popularity swept across the region, the name just became entrenched as part of the vernacular down here to mean any other brand. Same as Laura noted above with other products in other realms.

You are also correct about the map. I have seen it before and yes, while "coke" may not be quite so popular the generic term in the Carolinas as it is in Georgia north to Kentucky and west to Texas, it is still in majority use. And note too, where "coke" is not used, the preferred term is "something other", not soda or pop!

Last edited by TexasReb; 02-20-2008 at 04:19 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas