Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-14-2008, 09:27 PM

5,007 posts, read 15,423,702 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by txguy2009 View Post
Nope - nobody should keep it to themselves.

Here in Houston, San Antone, Dallas, or Austin you won't have to/want to keep it to yourself either.

Moderator cut: personal attack

Moderator cut: orphaned comment

I don't want to see anybody, be it two men, a man and a woman, two women (unless there are both really, really hot) make out or do anything more than hold hands or a quick kiss in public.

I don't care if they are gay, straight, whatever, I just don't think in public is the appropriate place for that.

I don't enjoy having somebody, or a pair of somebodies, or a parade of somebodies, feel the need to not only be gay, but go far above and beyond to rub it in everyone's face that they are gay.

I used to work in the gay area of Dallas. In fact, I was the only straight guy in the store. Worked there for several months, and you know what's funny? Almost every guy I worked with was disgusted by people who felt some compulsion to rub it in everybody's face that they are gay. They considered it rude and vulgar.

I think you will find most people in Texas, whether they approve or not, will be more than tolerant. Most of them will welcome you, and try and get to know you. Gay or straight won't matter.

Last edited by BstYet2Be; 11-15-2008 at 12:28 AM.. Reason: comment referred to has been removed
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-14-2008, 10:58 PM

8,064 posts, read 18,010,195 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by getmeoutofhere View Post
Most people in Texas don't care what you are. Just don't make a big, overt display of it.

A lot of people may not approve, but will never say anything. My grandparents never approved of gay people, but always said "That's between them and the Lord. No reason not to be nice to them."
I agree. But the fact is that for the activists, "tolerance" isn't really what they want -- it's more like they need constant affirmation and cheer-leading. Whatever! I'm a live and let live type of person who thinks that some things just need to remain private. LOL, I don't cheer for heterosexuals, based on their sexuality, so why on Earth would I go marching around for GLBTs?

Old 10-25-2015, 08:36 AM

5 posts, read 6,698 times
What is life like for GLBT folks in Temple TX now that a few years have passed?

Old 10-25-2015, 09:24 AM

9,249 posts, read 26,695,313 times
Probably about the same. I don't think anyone would be bothered by, or bother you.

Old 10-25-2015, 09:44 AM

5 posts, read 6,698 times
Sounds good. Thank you!

Any liberal pockets to settle into in the area?

Old 10-25-2015, 09:19 PM

1,795 posts, read 3,167,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by medcntrguy View Post
Sounds good. Thank you!

Any liberal pockets to settle into in the area?
There are no liberal pockets in Temple. The city itself is fairly conservative, but is open minded to all walks of life.

Old 06-06-2016, 11:25 AM

2 posts, read 1,375 times
June, 2016. I've been here for a year now. I think I better update the answers for gay couples out there, who are wondering about coming to Temple, Texas. I am a woman who loves my future wife dearly, but we wouldn't get marry in Temple. Our relationship remains in the whispers of close friends we trust. We do not openly state our sexual orientation, because we think it's weird to do so, but when asked, we do tell. Some people are a little startled by it, because we do not look like your stereotypical lesbians; "Butches" or the girls on Netflix's "Orange is the new Black."

Much of Temple is influenced by the military base which is close by. So there are some variation of values. However, the people I've encounter are conservative Christians who do NOT believe gays or lesbians should get marry. Three of them are my friend, that I trust and respect. My future wife and I are Christians, but we have reconciled my sexual orientation and my relationship with Christ. Above all, I believe God is Love, and Love is God. It's simple math but hard to understand, if something is not out of love, then it isn't out of God. There are Christians who have different belief systems from mine, but who am I to judge what is right and what is wrong? I stop thinking what is or isn't natural and started to focus on the supernatural, the power of Love, the power of God. For many Christians this maybe too liberal for them to focus, or maybe too supernatural for them to understand. Ha.

Enough of the tangent talking. As your fellow gay friend, and your sister in Christ, I do not recommend this place as a long term living if you plan to be showy with your orientation. Yeah, I think there is one gay bar here, but I don't go to it. Last time I've google searched, it might have closed down. Right now, I'm looking for an openly gay church, but there are none. I have to go to Austin for church.

Old 06-06-2016, 02:50 PM

2 posts, read 1,375 times
My apologizes, typo & grammar error, it suppose to say: Three of them are my friends, that I trust and respect. My future wife and I are Christians, but we have reconciled our sexual orientation and our relationship with Christ.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas