Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-12-2008, 10:35 AM

384 posts, read 1,413,648 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by padcrasher View Post
Ahh here we go from Wikipedia. This was what I was thinking of. This will give you a good idea of Denton's failed efforts.

"Historic Fry Street

"Fry St."Considered by many to be a cultural epicenter of Denton, the area surrounding Fry Street is home to a group of shops, bars, restaurants, and other cultural venues. Many of the buildings were originally constructed in the 1920s.

[edit] Redevelopment
In May 2006, the 100-block of Fry Street was purchased by United Equities, a Houston-based real estate company, which announced that several of the historic buildings would be demolished to accommodate a new mixed-use center. Known as Fry Street Village, the center would include lower level retail with apartments above. A grass roots effort by the non-profit organization Save Fry Street began soon thereafter seeking to preserve Fry Street as a historic and cultural icon for the city. The group was unsuccessful in preventing the demolition of two of the buildings, the Tomato pizza restaurant and part of the Cool Beans bar. Most of the remaining businesses on the property were served with eviction notices with a vacating date of January 31, 2007, but it was not until May 2007 that businesses along Fry Street began to close. In June 2007, nearly the entire block of Fry Street establishments were demolished.

[edit] Fry Street Fair
Main article: Fry Street Fair
The Fry Street Fair is a mostly annual event held by the independent fraternity Delta Lodge. It is typically the most attended event of the year on Fry Street with many bands performing. After two of the largest and most critically-acclaimed fairs in 2001 and 2002, Fry Street Fair was moved to Deep Ellum due to overcrowding and complications with the city. However, a scaled-down version of the fair returned to the Fry Street area in 2005. In 2007, the Fry Street Fair moved yet again to the North Texas State Fairgrounds. After losing money in both 2006 and 2007, the festival's creators announced that the fair would no longer be thrown."

Sounds like a fun place now doesn't it?

in your previous post you said this...
"Hell, the one sole established live music/bar near UNT was repacled with a shopping center wasn't it? "

the truth is there wasnt one sole live music bar near UNT. there were and still are more than one.

the garage, lucky lous, riprocks, cool beans rooftop and the drink on fry are still there.
the restaraunt stuff isnt there... what is in the spot they demolished the buildings is just land and water... awaiting development... this is on one side ... the other side wasnt touched.. side closer to the school (avenue a and hickory). cool beans is the only live music bar venue on fry street (actually more like hickory) that is in the area surrounded by the demolition.

some people talk about the redevelopment thats happening in this area on fry street and compare it to what happened to the drag in austin and say its going to turn out like the drag... change.

we all know what happened to the drag right?

your next posts introduces itself by saying "failed efforts". while the save fry street campaign didnt work out... Denton still is making up for the loss of some cool buildings on fry street (actually its in limbo awaiting other development). the spot that got demolished was owned by a dallas man by the way now its owned by someone from houston. i guarentee you if someone from denton owned that spot it wouldnt be in the situation it is in now.

so Denton is making up for this loss by what? if you were in touch with the scene in Denton (nothing against you on this point... just making a statement)... then you will notice that the spot they call "The Square" in Denton is booming now as a result of the awaiting the next chapter on fry street. Some of the old hangouts and some new ones are popping up in the Square area. Everything is moving and is in constant flux.

Some notable Denton musician once said something to the extent of this...

the Denton scene is like a hydra head
you cant kill it... it just mutates.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2008, 10:36 AM

13,186 posts, read 14,980,467 times
I've gotten drunk in most of the notorius drinking establishments during my time in both cities. I also co-owned a live music bar and booked Brave Combo at least 6 times to play there. So I'm pretty familiar with the old Denton and Austin acts.

If you want to play up Denton have at it.

Old 03-12-2008, 10:42 AM

Quote:
I've gotten drunk in most of the notorius drinking establishments during my time in both cities. I also co-owned a live music bar and booked Brave Combo at least 6 times to play there. So I'm pretty familiar with the old Denton and Austin acts.

If you want to play up Denton have at it.
cool. im not playing up. dont take offense. im sorry if im translating this on your end.. i know how **** can get mixed on the internent. im telling you how it is NOW in Denton... close to it.

we all know Austin is the cool touristy and trendie hot spot... lol for good or for bad. no one denying that.

you were unsure about there being a sole live music venue near unt that got replaced by a restaraunt. i set the record straight for you... im trying to help out.

Brave Combo (while respected) is part of "the other Denton". lol

there is more to Denton than that. if i wanted to get a better picture of denton id hangout with some dudes from Record Hop, Ghosthustler or the Was Museums and some dudes from strawberry fields (in denton) and go to a DIY show.

ive hung out in both austin and denton in the DIY parts. both are cool. the hell with the tourist stuff.

Last edited by jabbit; 03-12-2008 at 11:49 AM..

Old 03-12-2008, 12:31 PM

21 posts, read 76,861 times
Haha I kind of regret forming this thread in the way that I did. I didn't mean to start any arguments. I guess I was just concerned because while i loved Austin, I might end up in Denton for school. I heard that statement and wondered what it meant, and if it was a good thing. I have since read other threads on Denton and it seems to be a cool place. Thanks everyone for the answers.

Old 03-12-2008, 01:29 PM

25,157 posts, read 53,952,004 times
I can agree that Denton has a bohemian college scene. The denton music scene is more about JAZZ and indie rock.

Most of the concert halls in denton are run down and spooky - Rubber gloves comes to mind. Andy's and Hailey's are the only concert halls/bars that had unique artistic flair. Those two venues are near the square.

Denton is similar to Austin on a micro-scale. I'd say that the Denton college scene still has Austin's college scene beat on the weirdo factor. So many weirdos in Denton. Not that weird is bad - it is just the spooky attitude that comes with the culture that I didn't like.

Quote:
Well let's be clear, Denton's bohemian college scene is about 1/100th the size of Austin's. They don't really compare. You've got so many established live music venues in Austin that have been in business for decades. And Austin is much more scenic with the rivers and lakes. Quirky restaurants, and bars.

Hell, the one sole established live music/bar near UNT was repacled with a shopping center wasn't it? UNT is more of a commuter school.

Old 03-12-2008, 02:08 PM

16,087 posts, read 41,166,264 times
20 years, ha, that's nothing-- try Austin in the 1970s! Does Denton have a Hippie Hollow?

Old 03-12-2008, 02:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakewooder View Post
20 years, ha, that's nothing-- try Austin in the 1970s! Does Denton have a Hippie Hollow?

no but Denton has the House of Tinittus and the Slutbanger.

pretty obscene stuff in a cool way.

Old 03-12-2008, 03:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by artsyguy View Post
I can agree that Denton has a bohemian college scene. The denton music scene is more about JAZZ and indie rock.

its actually huge on DIY. when looking at the uniqueness of the denton music scene you have to take into consideration the DIY aesthetic. the DIY thing is a lot tighter knit in Denton than it is in Austin.

Quote:
Most of the concert halls in denton are run down and spooky - Rubber gloves comes to mind.
thats a good thing. your run down is my grit and teeth. your prestige nice looking clubs is snobby, yuppie clubs to me. its a matter of perspective.

Quote:
Andy's and Hailey's are the only concert halls/bars that had unique artistic flair. Those two venues are near the square.

rubber gloves is actually more respected with the indie and DIY crowd in Denton. the ones you like are liked more by the Dallasites... those who like big money. Rubbergloves scares out of towners because its so thick on the Dentonites in there. Hailys is not bad... its just a more upscale club compared to Rubbergloves. Rubbergloves likes being a little sticky... which has more charecther to me.

Quote:
Denton is similar to Austin on a micro-scale. I'd say that the Denton college scene still has Austin's college scene beat on the weirdo factor. So many weirdos in Denton. Not that weird is bad - it is just the spooky attitude that comes with the culture that I didn't like.

spooky is good. i thought there were more spookes in Austin. Keep Austin Weird right?

Old 03-13-2008, 12:13 PM

25,157 posts, read 53,952,004 times
What is - House of Tinittus and T Sbanger? I've heard of those, now I am curious about what I missed out on!

What is DIY?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jabbit View Post
no but Denton has the House of Tinittus and the Slutbanger.

pretty obscene stuff in a cool way.

Old 03-13-2008, 12:19 PM

2,238 posts, read 9,017,965 times
Quote:
What is DIY?
Do-It-Yourself. You record, produce, distribute, and market your own music without label support.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas