Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-22-2023, 04:22 PM

3,166 posts, read 2,055,248 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by R1070 View Post
And Houston lacks in neighborhood cores like you find around parts of Dallas. Dallas neighborhoods have variety and a scene for everyone. The “bland” comments are typically folks who don’t venture out to see what Dallas is all about. Central Houston has a lot more derelict housing as well. I think the grit of the city gives it a particular vibe whether that’s viewed as a good thing or not is in the eye of the beholder. Having sports stadiums all around the core is nice, but that just isn’t feasible for many cities including Dallas. I’d rather have land downtown available for mixed use development than used for a stadium for baseball or soccer that’s only used so many times a year then sits empty. A lot of the business clusters in the loop of Houston are still very auto-oriented, so that may look impressive from a highway, from the street it’s just ‘meh’. There’s certain pros to what Dallas has to offer and same for Houston. The things that Houston may have over Dallas isn’t anything of interest to me, I prefer the pros Dallas has to offer for my lifestyle.
In the eye of the beholder is right for sure. Central Dallas is developed like most East Texas cities - the neighborhoods are orderly, rigidly zoned/deed restricted, and yes, bland. Dallas' "energy" doesn't come from its neighborhoods imo, it comes from its night lighting and large-scale quality developments. Houston's comes more from it's neighborhoods of the two - many are very eclectic and have more of a buzz because in general, a typical Houston neighborhood is going to have more commercial development than its typical Dallas counterpart. Many Dallas neighborhoods are very sleepy (which many there like, cherish, and will do anything to preserve btw). Houston neighborhoods are generally just "busier".

Now, the sports stadiums is a place I disagree with you. There's 81 Astros home games a year. That's almost a quarter of the year the stadium is in use and that doesn't even count any concerts or other events in the off-season. I think having Minute Maid Park downtown is a tremendous asset and its frankly been responsible for most of the development on the east side of downtown in the last 20 years. It was a huge coup at the time and I'm really glad it's where it is. I couldn't imagine it being in west Houston somewhere or even worse, a suburb. I've been to Globe Life and the suburban experience just isn't the same (even though Texas Live is fun and I'm looking forward to the Astros upcoming entertainment district).

The soccer stadium is a part of the neighborhood and even though there's a lot less games, its small enough that it doesn't really disrupt anything (other than the street grid). It's obviously not as big of a draw but the businesses nearby do very well on game days. The only real issue I have is that the entire area gets rather gridlocked those rare times that there's an event at both stadiums because they share parking lots.

Now the football stadium? That thing can go to Katy for all I care. Y'all got that one right.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-22-2023, 04:56 PM

836 posts, read 456,018 times
Quote:
And Houston lacks in neighborhood cores like you find around parts of Dallas. Dallas neighborhoods have variety and a scene for everyone. The “bland” comments are typically folks who don’t venture out to see what Dallas is all about. Central Houston has a lot more derelict housing as well. I think the grit of the city gives it a particular vibe whether that’s viewed as a good thing or not is in the eye of the beholder. Having sports stadiums all around the core is nice, but that just isn’t feasible for many cities including Dallas. I’d rather have land downtown available for mixed use development than used for a stadium for baseball or soccer that’s only used so many times a year then sits empty. A lot of the business clusters in the loop of Houston are still very auto-oriented, so that may look impressive from a highway, from the street it’s just ‘meh’. There’s certain pros to what Dallas has to offer and same for Houston. The things that Houston may have over Dallas isn’t anything of interest to me, I prefer the pros Dallas has to offer for my lifestyle.
You miss the point and you try and rephrase my post as only “sports stadiums.” Bottom line there’s a greater amount of amenities in Houston’s core than Dallas’, from museums to the arts to restaurants to parks to universities and so forth. That makes Houston feel more energetic. And there are neighborhood cores in Houston’s neighborhoods too. Where I agree with you is that the ones in Dallas have a slightly better pedestrian experience but to say those cores don’t exist in Houston at all is just false. And also baseball stadiums absolutely can liven up an area. There is definitely a noticeable amount of foot traffic in Downtown and EaDo as a result of Astros games and the stadium is leading to the construction of a mixed use ballpark district in the area.

My point was never about urbanity. Both are pretty similar when it comes to the pedestrian realm, with a slight lead to Dallas. The thing is no matter how you see it, Central Houston outright offers more than Central Dallas and whatever slight lead Dallas has when it comes to pedestrianization is not enough to make up for that difference. That’s why Houston feels more energetic to some and why Dallas can be seen as “blander” to others.

Again this is solely because of the way the metros are laid out. Central Houston is the center of its metro and it shows. Dallas doesn’t operate this way and while DFW has everything I pointed out, not all of it is in the city core the same way that it is in Houston.

Old 09-22-2023, 09:28 PM

4,435 posts, read 6,307,587 times
I can’t imagine where Dallas would even fit a baseball stadium in the core. They would have to completely destroy an area to make room for it and that’s not what I’d prefer.

I’m also curious what Dallas neighborhoods are “sleepy” compared to what neighborhoods that are more lively.

Old 09-22-2023, 09:52 PM

5,673 posts, read 7,455,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaBears02 View Post
Dallas still has a ton of strip malls in its core. The reason people might say Dallas is blander is probably not tied to built form but rather the amenities that both cores offer. IMO central Houston just offers more in terms of amenities like cultural institutions (museums, symphony, opera, theater, the arts, diversity), culinary experiences, urban parks, sports stadiums, corporate employment, etc. Dallas has all of this stuff don’t get me wrong but Houston’s core does a better job offering these amenities than Dallas’ does because of the way the metros are set up. All of greater Houston reviled around central Houston, thus all of these amenities are in the core itself. Dallas isn’t the same way. Thus while Dallas’ core has slightly better pedestrian infrastructure (and I really do mean slightly), it’s not enough to overcome the amenity gap between it and Houston’s core, thus potentially coming off as “blander” to some.
.....hmmm...I wonder why nobody knows this....OrSTILL prefer the core of Dallas to Houston?

Because Dallas is underrated to the world and Houston is OVERRATED.......ONLY BY HOUSTONIANS!!!

Old 09-23-2023, 12:38 AM

ULTIMATELY my goal is to make everybody happy!!....(VIRGO character)Houston is a great place and everyone should LOVE where they live.....DALLAS IS NOWHERE NEAR PERFECT.

Here you go Houstonians!!!....This one is on me!!

https://matadornetwork.com/life/10-s...k-home-dallas/

Old 09-23-2023, 05:39 AM

325 posts, read 205,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ParaguaneroSwag View Post
By Dallas widening the gap as in getting further behind, I agree. Downtown Dallas is growing and improving, but it’s not the only one to do so. It’s not the growing the fastest. And as a matter of a fact, I believe it’s growing slower than Houston and Austin. Austin by far has the most momentum. Their downtown today compared to 10 years ago is unbelievable and it’s continuing for now. Austin is the one widening the gap.

I know little of what San Antonio has in the pipeline so someone else would have to comment on that one.
A ton of residential going up in Downtown SA and by the Pearl. A lot of new restaurants + bars too. Off the top of my head...

- 32 story apartment tower just topped out a few months ago.
- 17 story bougie apartment tower along the riverwalk with an automated parking garage is almost finished
- Kimpton hotel just topped out
- 16/17 floor apartment tower by UTSA data science campus U/C
- 30 something story residential + 17 story Hilton hotel going to Hemisfair
- Thompson hotel/condos was a couple years ago. Has a solid rooftop bar.
- Tower Life Building is being converted to residential
- Grayson street is turning into a Rainey Street type of thing
- At least 5 run of the mill midrise apt buildings going up by the Pearl
- A few new bank HQs on lower broadway
- not sure what the status of the W hotel is, but that was 20 stories by the Pearl
- A few older midrises downtown being converted to residential/hotels

On the thread topic though, they feel about the same to me. Houston maybe has a slight edge just because of the random skyscrapers in every which way. Downtown vs downtown street energy they feel the same to me.

Old 09-23-2023, 11:39 AM

4,344 posts, read 2,813,808 times
When I lived in SA the Pearl District was just coming together and the Riverwalk extensions were just being completed. The chances in those areas have been huge. It's one of the better new urban districts in Texas

Old 09-23-2023, 12:32 PM

5,452 posts, read 7,746,787 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yadigggski View Post
A ton of residential going up in Downtown SA and by the Pearl. A lot of new restaurants + bars too. Off the top of my head...

- 32 story apartment tower just topped out a few months ago.
- 17 story bougie apartment tower along the riverwalk with an automated parking garage is almost finished
- Kimpton hotel just topped out
- 16/17 floor apartment tower by UTSA data science campus U/C
- 30 something story residential + 17 story Hilton hotel going to Hemisfair
- Thompson hotel/condos was a couple years ago. Has a solid rooftop bar.
- Tower Life Building is being converted to residential
- Grayson street is turning into a Rainey Street type of thing
- At least 5 run of the mill midrise apt buildings going up by the Pearl
- A few new bank HQs on lower broadway
- not sure what the status of the W hotel is, but that was 20 stories by the Pearl
- A few older midrises downtown being converted to residential/hotels

On the thread topic though, they feel about the same to me. Houston maybe has a slight edge just because of the random skyscrapers in every which way. Downtown vs downtown street energy they feel the same to me.
Or for that matter Fort Worth which is in some ways is more appealing than Dallas. Not just downtown but areas like West 7th.

If I was relocating back to Texas I'd probably pick either San Antonio or Fort Worth above any of the other big metro areas for urban amenities and quality of life.

Old 09-23-2023, 02:22 PM

Quote:
I can’t imagine where Dallas would even fit a baseball stadium in the core. They would have to completely destroy an area to make room for it and that’s not what I’d prefer.

I’m also curious what Dallas neighborhoods are “sleepy” compared to what neighborhoods that are more lively.
They planned a minor league baseball stadium in the Reunion District where Reunion Arena was....But that fizzled out....They're about to build 5 buildings there.

Old 09-23-2023, 02:32 PM

679 posts, read 275,501 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dallasboi View Post
They planned a minor league baseball stadium in the Reunion District where Reunion Arena was....But that fizzled out....They're about to build 5 buildings there.
LOL Okay, I'll bite. Who is planning to build 5 buildings there? And what buildings are they planning?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas