Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-21-2023, 09:28 PM

5,673 posts, read 7,454,419 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by atadytic19 View Post
Yes, but you failed to mention that loop 12 is much bigger than 610.

Yes you showed the boundaries, but failed to mention they were not the same radius.

The attempt earned 2 Pinocchios lol
Or...That's equivalent to Dallas whining saying..."Nah you gotta add all of the suburbs surrounding Dallas until it equal 600 square miles like Houston before you can actually say who has the biggest population in the city limits"........
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-22-2023, 01:29 AM

5,614 posts, read 4,943,769 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atadytic19 View Post
There y'all go again trying to equate a few tiny strips in Dallas to represent the city
[Mod cut: personal]
Houston has an overall larger and more vibrant core than Dallas. And a better Downtown.

But the fact that Dallas still has legacy truly walkable - relatively safely walkable - districts outside Downtown, and Houston really doesn't, is still significant and something they have over Houston. Now, that aspect of Dallas doesn't "represent the city." We can all agree that Dallas is represented mostly by faux-glitzy but ultimately meaningless blandness (D-boi, you know that's true, don't deny it.) Houston has its share of blandness, but the blandness doesn't dominate the city like it does in Dallas.

And sorry, you don't get to ignore safety when you talk about walkability. Not safe to walk = not walkable. Regardless of how you say you walk in Houston.

Last edited by elnina; 09-22-2023 at 11:32 AM.. Reason: Discuss the topic, not other members.

Old 09-22-2023, 09:32 AM

835 posts, read 454,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LocalPlanner View Post
Houston has an overall larger and more vibrant core than Dallas. And a better Downtown.

But the fact that Dallas still has legacy truly walkable - relatively safely walkable - districts outside Downtown, and Houston really doesn't, is still significant and something they have over Houston. Now, that aspect of Dallas doesn't "represent the city." We can all agree that Dallas is represented mostly by faux-glitzy but ultimately meaningless blandness (D-boi, you know that's true, don't deny it.) Houston has its share of blandness, but the blandness doesn't dominate the city like it does in Dallas.

And sorry, you don't get to ignore safety when you talk about walkability. Not safe to walk = not walkable. Regardless of how you say you walk in Houston.
Id say Houston does still have relatively safe walkable districts/areas outside of Downtown but I do agree the pedestrian infrastructure is not as good as Dallas’ in these few areas. I felt perfectly safe walking in places like the Heights, Montrose, Midtown, EaDo in their best walkable parts but I think Dallas’s infrastructure is slightly better, making the experience in their equivalents like Uptown, the Deep Ellum, Lower Greenville, and Bishop Arts slightly more pedestrian friendly.

I agree with your post for the most part though.

Last edited by elnina; 09-22-2023 at 11:31 AM..

Old 09-22-2023, 10:50 AM

4,435 posts, read 6,306,275 times
Quote:

Houston has a lot more strip shopping centers scattered around the core of the city that you don't see nearly as much of in Central Dallas.

Last edited by elnina; 09-22-2023 at 11:30 AM..

Old 09-22-2023, 11:52 AM

4,344 posts, read 2,810,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by R1070 View Post
Houston has a lot more strip shopping centers scattered around the core of the city that you don't see nearly as much of in Central Dallas.
True, but it also has more business districts in the core than Dallas.

Strip malls are not ideal, but they are very convenient.
I would rather have strip malls on every main road than no retail at all.

To be the difference between urban and suburban is businesses vs residential. Major streets that are all residential are suburban. Major urban streets have some sort of retail regularly along its length.

Further strip centers in Houston's core are a dying breed. Unless you are considering the entire inner city (the loop) to be the core

Old 09-22-2023, 12:08 PM

9,895 posts, read 6,602,126 times
Quote:
That’s the thing. Dallas is considered even more bland than Houston by most despite that Houston is already pretty bland.

Furthermore, america in itself is known as a bland country. Texas is bland even by American standards. What states have Texas beat? Ohio? Oklahoma?

Old 09-22-2023, 12:35 PM

Quote:

...Nice try!!!

Which of the two has better/urban downtown? Dallas or Houston?
https://www.reddit.com/r/texas/comme...wntown_dallas/

first comment: From a Houstonian

Quote:
I’m usually Team Houston but let’s be real, for being the 4th largest city Houston’s DT is incredibly disappointing
...From a NYer that moved here...

Quote:
Dallas - over the past decade Dallas has gone from a cool walkable neighborhood with a couple different districts in Uptown to a series of interconnected walkable neighborhoods in an even more vibrant Uptown, then Victory Park, the Arts District into Downtown and Deep Ellum is far more connected with its push to the highway and the emerging East Quarter of downtown.

It’s really emerging as a quality downtown urban core - amazing museums, Klyde Warren park is a great well programmed small urban oasis, other nice parks like Griggs and the new Carpenter Park… there are so many new residential buildings to bring around the clock life. Dallas is really underrated as a walkable downtown area.
11 Differences Between Houston and Dallas That Always Cause Arguments
https://matadornetwork.com/read/11-d...ns%20of%20dogs.

Quote:
#9. Downtown Houston vs Downtown Dallas
Downtown Houston is a force to be reckoned with — as in any major downtown city, watch your back while you walk alone, and you can easily get lost. Downtown Dallas on the other hand is a great walking area, with rows of beautiful hotels, gorgeous parks, and tons of dogs. Downtown Dallas has the original Neimans and the beautiful Joule hotel where everyone is welcome. The bars in Downtown Dallas I used to frequent like the One Eyed Penguin were known for their regulars and how close they were to the many historic buildings turned apartments.
Quote:
#10. Memorial Park Vs Katy Trail?
Memorial Park is THE place to jog in Houston, it has a great central location, lots of dogs, ample parking around the park, and the trail is gravel so you will be feeling muscles the next day you never knew you had. I have been lapped by very intense runners on Memorial park trail, as it is a circle and you know exactly where you are based on land marks along the loop. Katy trail in Dallas is more of a social scene. It’s not circular, and many a female social butterfly (like the one I mentioned in the bar bathroom above) may find herself on Katy trail scoping out the Dallas men or walking to a bar right off the trail. Yes, this trail has bars, why run or walk for exercise when you can walk to the Katy Trail Icehouse for schooners or burgers, and watch for a shirtless Troy Aikman jogging the trail? If you are looking for a workout with just you, your headphones, and your dog, I vote Memorial Park. If you are wanting to wear your new lululemon gear and people watch, Katy Trail is perfect.
Quote:
11. Which city is friendlier?
This one I struggle with, because my time in downtown Dallas was so much fun and I made many friends for life. When you venture out into the uptown area of Dallas however, the only friend you will make is the mechanical bull at The Trophy Room or the boy who just puked all over it. Houston has many more group activities and ways to feel included, but you have to get out there and search for them. Seems as though everyone in Houston has unique interests and probably a secret hang-out or two up their sleeve, so make sure to ask the locals where to go and what to do. Dallas is much more showy, you can navigate without a local easily, and make new friends while you are doing it.

Just for fun:

People knew this way back in 1978

Dallas is better than Houston...Texas Monthly...A STATE Magazine that I thought Hated Dallas
https://www.texasmonthly.com/being-t...-than-houston/

Quote:
Houston is an example of what can happen when architecture catches a venereal disease.

—Frank Lloyd Wright
Damn..... Frank????!!!!

Difference between Dallas and Houston
https://propertyclub.nyc/article/dal...20and%20modern.

Quote:
Houston has a distinctly Southern flair with friendly neighbors, great food, and unique community events like rodeos. Dallas is glitzier in comparison and offers a more upscale way of life that many describe as “nouveau riche.” Houston is grittier and more laidback, while Dallas is more sophisticated and modern.
...Make sure to look at the results..

Dallas vs. Houston: What's the difference?

https://www.reddit.com/r/Dallas/comm...he_difference/
Quote:

Another Houstonian

level 1
sashammie

I grew up in Houston (inner Loop) and moved to Dallas 5 years ago. For what it’s worth, some differences: Houston has a very claustrophobic feeling, it is much more condensed in the inner city compared to Dallas. 3 miles takes like 30 minutes because of stop lights and traffic. Overall, Houston traffic is much worse to me because there are less major highways compared to Dallas. Dallas has traffic but it’s more dispersed because there are a ton of alternate routes. Public transportation isn’t great in either city but is slightly better in Dallas and gets you more places.

Culturally, Houston gets a lot of international folks because of the oil and gas industry so it’s more of a melting pot imo and dare I say has better food. Dallas is more spread out and there are a lot more parks/green space/lakes/etc. Dallas has better upkeep and feels nicer, Houston is a little more grungey. I also think Dallas has a better economy (more diverse companies, less oil/gas than Houston) and can manage economic downturns better. Every time oil is in a crisis like half my friends get laid off in Houston. Housing options are more diverse in Dallas as well and generally more affordable (don’t quote me on this). Houston is a swamp land and humid 24/7 but your skin will be beautiful when you’re old. Dallas actually has seasons. I think Dallas has a better quality of life overall. I’m never moving back to the H.

Dallas vs Houston: Which City Should You Visit?
https://www.lonestartravelguide.com/dallas-vs-houston/

Quote:
Dallas vs Houston: The Final Decision
Most people in Texas rep their city hard. I am no exception. Despite the beauties of both cities I definitely prefer Dallas more as a vacation spot and as a place to set down roots!

Dallas has so many cool events happening and because several of them aren’t as mainstream yet you don’t get swallowed by a crowd. The smaller festivals and attractions are more digestible because there aren’t huge lines and photo ops everywhere. You can simply enjoy it and feel like you’re a part of the larger community.

You’ll definitely find Houston fans everywhere (it is the land of Beyoncé after all!).

Whichever city you choose to visit, or even if you choose both, you’ll have a great time! Have a good time…deep in the heart of Texas!….. (clap, clap, clap).

Old 09-22-2023, 02:15 PM

835 posts, read 454,358 times
Quote:
Dallas still has a ton of strip malls in its core. The reason people might say Dallas is blander is probably not tied to built form but rather the amenities that both cores offer. IMO central Houston just offers more in terms of amenities like cultural institutions (museums, symphony, opera, theater, the arts, diversity), culinary experiences, urban parks, sports stadiums, corporate employment, etc. Dallas has all of this stuff don’t get me wrong but Houston’s core does a better job offering these amenities than Dallas’ does because of the way the metros are set up. All of greater Houston reviled around central Houston, thus all of these amenities are in the core itself. Dallas isn’t the same way. Thus while Dallas’ core has slightly better pedestrian infrastructure (and I really do mean slightly), it’s not enough to overcome the amenity gap between it and Houston’s core, thus potentially coming off as “blander” to some.

Old 09-22-2023, 02:27 PM

....the end!!!

Old 09-22-2023, 03:22 PM

1,729 posts, read 1,026,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dallasboi View Post
....the end!!!
I see you’ve taken a break from your tenny-shoe venture to resume your Dallas cheerleading activities!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas