Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-09-2008, 04:12 PM

8,376 posts, read 30,712,073 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CalGal953 View Post
So my experience-less boyfriend, who is 27 and can't get the right connections due to his Asperger's Syndrome, can forget about working here. Same with me, a 25-year-old Aspie also without work experience because no one wants to give us a chance.

Asperger Syndrome, well there ya go.

Wikipedia says:
The lack of demonstrated empathy is possibly the most dysfunctional aspect of Asperger syndrome.[2] Individuals with AS experience difficulties in basic elements of social interaction, which may include a failure to develop friendships or to seek shared enjoyments or achievements with others (for example, showing others objects of interest); a lack of social or emotional reciprocity; and impaired nonverbal behaviors in areas such as eye contact, facial expression, posture, and gesture.[1]

(article)

This could very well be the reason you're having these problems.

Something in academia may be more up your alley. But a lot of that is still ''who you know.'' I know firsthand that there are loopholes around the mandated hiring procedures.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-09-2008, 04:44 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,894,387 times
Everything shakeout eventually. But moist people have the wrong idea that Texas produces alot of crude;that peaked in the mid 60's. We now produce like 20% of usage from offshore which is the largest.We are a large producer of product from crude as well as other energy such as largest in electric wind production.There is one town near mine that has like 15 billion in projects that will take ten years. That is huge in a town of apox 50,000. Texas has long gone from a crude producer to alot of energy and other products since our down turn in the 70's.

Old 10-10-2008, 01:40 PM

303 posts, read 846,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KantLockeMeIn View Post
So if you're living beyond your means, you're taxed like crazy...but if you're living well below your means, you are rewarded. I like that incentive...
That's oversimplification, not accounting for differences in income. Having no state income tax makes the system highly regressive and punishes lower-income people. Groceries and gasoline take a much bigger bite out of their paychecks, and public services are underfunded. I am getting help with finding a job through DARS because of my Asperger's Syndrome, which has been taking 4 months so far because they are understaffed due to being woefully underfunded.

NOTE TO REPUBLICANS FROM AN EX-REPUBLICAN: Not everyone that needs government help is a lazy bum that wants to leech off of hard-working people. Some people actually do need a little extra help to become productive, tax-paying members of society. I want to be a hard-working, productive taxpayer too, and I am an extremely frugal person. And even if I was filthy rich, I would not at all mind paying more in income tax to help people less fortunate than me, as long as it helps them become hard-working, productive taxpayers also.

Old 10-10-2008, 01:51 PM

16,087 posts, read 41,175,792 times
Texas Cities Dominate Best:

Best And Worst Bang For The Buck Cities - Forbes.com

Old 10-10-2008, 07:15 PM

303 posts, read 846,512 times
Yeah, the economy here is so great, my bf's mom and stepdad had to relocate to Arkansas because they could not find any computer jobs here that would pay their bills, and they are on the frugal side also, and have a decent commute. My bf and I are considering relocating out of state soon also, if I don't find anything through DARS.

Old 10-11-2008, 07:17 AM

37,315 posts, read 59,903,112 times
retrenchment is the name of the game
TX and DFW were enjoying part of the entension of the boom from the housing/easy credit run-up but now that energy prices have started to soften and housing is soft even here where that was not the same type of crazy boom in prices that the coasts experienced, TX is going to feel the pinch...

I am just so surprised when I walk around my neighborhood that I still see McCain Palin signs in people's yards...some dreams really do die hard...

Old 10-13-2008, 10:04 AM

16,087 posts, read 41,175,792 times
FT.com / Video & Audio / Interactive graphics - The state of the US economy

Texas ranked best according to Financial Times

Old 10-13-2008, 10:43 AM

20,958 posts, read 45,423,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CalGal953 View Post
Yeah, the economy here is so great, my bf's mom and stepdad had to relocate to Arkansas because they could not find any computer jobs here that would pay their bills, and they are on the frugal side also, and have a decent commute. My bf and I are considering relocating out of state soon also, if I don't find anything through DARS.
How does this tie in with your theory that Texas is "stealing" jobs from California?

Old 10-13-2008, 11:01 AM

530 posts, read 2,037,633 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by autotech4dallas View Post
Why are property taxes so high, but cost of living is low, and the state of Texas exempted from state income taxes? I was just a little curious.
State income taxes are STATE income taxes. We don't have a state income tax. There's nothing to be "exempted" from. If you have state income taxes in your state, it's because your STATE decided to do so.

We pay property and sales taxes. Since it's possible to live in a fairly low-cost home, that makes the potential cost of living low. Now, if you choose to go out and spend 300k on a McMansion or a fancy townhouse in one of our big cities, then you made the choice to pay the city/county more in property taxes.... on the other hand, you can easly buy a home in nearly any part of Texas in the 90-135k range if you so choose. Those who say you can't are only looking at new construction. I work under the assumption that humans can dwell in something that wasn't built last week.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas