Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-18-2008, 03:12 PM

3,555 posts, read 7,847,785 times

Advertisements

austinnetex wrote;
Quote:
low-tax state with strong tort-reform
No! TX is a state with NO PERSONAL INCOME TAX, it's not a low tax state. But people who listen to much to politicians believe that.

Remember, TX electrical rates are not regulated so decide up front if you want to live in SA (city owned and very cheap electrical rates) or HOU or DAL, deregulated and very expensive.

Homeowner's insurance is NOT REGULATED. For a $300K house in TX, with 3% deductible (which means we're not filing a claim short of a complete burn down) we paid about $2K in Houston and about $1300 once we moved to a small market-Marble Falls. In CO for a comparable house we pay about $300/year-$500 deductible.

Property taxes are going to be close to 3% of market value in the bigger cities and towns, lower in some smaller markets but the schools may not be as good.

I know plenty of (not rich) people in TX paying over $6K for property tax, $2K for homeowner's insurance, $300/month for electricity and over $100/month for water.

Check out ALL expenses before leaping.

golfgod
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2008, 10:17 PM

15,268 posts, read 35,624,789 times
Quote:
how good life is in Texas in the pocket book.
Depends on your particulars...if you are (or planning to be) a two-income family and live in a reasonable house, the no income tax can be a great benefit and the property tax will not kill you. If you are planning on buying a big house and having a one-income familly, the property tax will hurt and the no-income tax will not save you near as much.

Living in Austin, we pay around $200/month in utilities (averaged year-round - garbage/sewage/water/electricity/misc. fees) and around $90/month for insurance on the house (deducts are 500/1000, I think). Taxes on the 2400 sq ft house are right around $5400 year (appraisal is ~$240,000). Auto insurance is about $50/month per vehicle. No idea on how much more or less they are other places, but maybe it helps?

Old 07-19-2008, 05:50 AM

3,264 posts, read 5,630,222 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ministers View Post
Wow!!! These responses are awesome!!!! I currently live in Wisconsin, and I really want to relocate to Texas in the near future. Thanks for all your responses, I guess the hype is true. Everything is big in Texas!!! LOL
Lotsa sinnin' going on here so the market for ministers should be good!

Old 07-19-2008, 06:58 AM

37,315 posts, read 59,844,229 times
small article in today's FTW star telegram about the business bankruptcies--
says that they are increasing and the govt is reluctant to turn over accurate info because of how depressing it would be
article also said that bankruptcies are increasing in TX--that for every one reported there are 2-3 other business that just go out of business w/o that step

I am sure the increase in the fed min wage will have a serious effect on smaller businesses that have been hurt by rising commodity prices--energy and food--and done wht they can to NOT pass prices to customers to hold their market share--
this next step probably means that some marginal businesses might close...

also story about company in Mineral Wells or Wichita Falls--forget which one now-- that is division of company whose home office is out of state--this company makes the drone planes that army uses for forward observation where troops can't go
the division is being bought by a foreign company but the parent co is closing the TX location and relocating it to FL before the sale takes place
I am sure there are tax advantages to doing that the parent does not want to lose before the sale is completed--they are getting a good price for the company...
employees are losing their jobs--not being offered relocation to FL--and the city actually owns one of the plant's bldgs so it will lose the rental directly...

Old 07-19-2008, 07:37 AM

59 posts, read 72,293 times
What is the average salay in Texas ?

Old 07-27-2008, 08:50 PM

420 posts, read 1,236,404 times
Where are the best places to live in Texas? How are the suburbs of Dallas? I just hope people are friendly to individuals that are not from the south. I have heard some really great things about Texas.

Old 07-27-2008, 09:37 PM

384 posts, read 1,580,818 times
Quote:
I hear everyone talking from coast to coast about how good life is in Texas in the pocket book. Is this true,?
Well, I know that my brother had to look for a job last year (engineering), and he looked from coast to coast, but found the best opportunity in Texas and it wasn't close. He had never even visited central TX before the job interview, but now he plans to stay there a long, long time.
So far, utility costs have been low and we haven't seen any crime.

I heartily recommend the greater San Marcos-New Braunfels-Wimberley area to anyone.

Old 07-27-2008, 10:42 PM

37,315 posts, read 59,844,229 times
average salary is just a number--the avg temp has a lot more uniform relativity from one part of the state to ther other and one texan to the other
avg salary had no individual meaning if your job skills and educational background and age and location don't bring you to that level...

someone making 24K a and another person making 240K a year--that avg is 132K

Old 07-27-2008, 11:13 PM

196 posts, read 640,507 times
Wow. What a discussion. The places that many are listing that have good job growth in TX also are ranked in the top 10 worst cities is the USA for crime.

TX has high utilities, lots of illegals, massive amounts of drug related crime, decent housing, high taxes on housing, not very nice scenery compared to most states and nice scenery compared to a few states and lots of jobs.

I guess the question is this. What do you want? Do you want to live in a large city thinking that is the only place there are things to do? Do you want to live in an area that is smaller, more family related and safer? Are you all about the supposed high paying job even when things are more expensive?

I have houses in 3 states including TX. TX only because wifes family lives here and we need to come and visit them. South TX is HORRIBLE. Highest teen pregnancy rate in the USA, highest repeat pregnancy rate in the USA, top 5 area with the highest rape rate in the USA, top 3 area with the worst drug problem in the USA, of the top 10 cities in the entire USA with the worst crime...TX has three of them... I could go on and on.

If you MUST live in TX. Fredericksburg, TX is a VERY nice place to live BUT you would have to work somewhere else such as SA.

Old 07-28-2008, 11:59 AM

1,992 posts, read 4,145,931 times
This morning, my wife and I did some shopping in Abilene. There are help wanted signs on stores and restaurants all over the city. I know these are low paying jobs, but even McDonalds (on Judge Ely Blvd.) is advertising salaries of up to $9.75/hour to start. I know that is not lots of money. While driving, we heard on the radio an advertisement for a manufacturing plant on the east side of town needing welders and factory workers. It seems that there are more jobs here than people needing work. Or, maybe the skill sets don't match the job market. Housing is still fairly cheap here, and the mortgage crunch has not hit us yet.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas