Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-17-2008, 08:47 PM

804 posts, read 1,965,560 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tstone View Post
Asperger Syndrome, well there ya go.

This could very well be the reason you're having these problems.
Hogwash. I've worked with quite a few people who lack empathy or respect for others, and they didn't have Asperger's.

Last edited by nomore07; 10-17-2008 at 09:30 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-17-2008, 09:14 PM

804 posts, read 1,965,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KantLockeMeIn View Post
Like it or not you have to be able to interview well or know someone no matter where you live. I work in a high tech company and have worked with plenty of people with asperger's and the only way they got in was knowing someone.

I'd suggest charity work and networking groups... and at the groups the motto is fake it till ya make it.
There are plenty of areas that don't require "knowing someone" in order to get a job. Do folks in DFW marry their coworkers? Is it too much work to screen and interview candidates?

Guess who designs the equipment you're using to post on this forum? Employees with Asperger's can be very productive. Perhaps that's too scary for the slackers and socialites

Aspergians can be great employees - The Herald Dispatch

Last edited by nomore07; 10-17-2008 at 09:51 PM..

Old 02-15-2009, 11:29 AM

3 posts, read 6,170 times
The areas of Texas that may have to be dealing with a very poor economy are pretty isolated. Houston, most of the Gulf Coast, Austin/SA, all of the big areas are still doing pretty well. We live in Central Texas and building is still booming. Even with the currently depressed oil price, the oil companies can't get enough people. And, you are right, Texas leads the nation in Wind Power. Texas has high grocery prices - HA. For the last 11 years we have gone north during the summer - we are retired - to get a bit of relief from the heat. We have been in N Carolina, TN, CO, NE, SD, WY, AZ, NM, ID - and we have ALWAYS been so happy to get back to our local HEB and good grocery prices.
Yes, there have been companies that have reduced their workforce, people that haven't received a raise in a while, people who have lost benefits, etc, etc, etc, but there are jobs to be had.
So, yes, I would say, that at least for the time being, Texas generally has a better economy than most parts of the country.
When we go visiting family in other parts of the state, a lot of the RV parks we stay at have quite a few long term folks in them because of local area work going on. A couple of them we now have to call beforehand to be sure we will have a spot.

Old 02-15-2009, 05:17 PM

492 posts, read 962,453 times
Is Texas economy really that good, or is Texas a bit overrated?

I clicked on the link for ycor's posting here but got directed to the first post in the thread. I kept reading and big J's for Jesus, I thought someone was droning on about the pending economic crash. Turns out the date on the posts were from last summer. Yee Gawds... if things were that bad back then I'm gonna start recommending The Grapes of Wrath as a planning guide for the pending doom.

Like ycor says, things don't seem that bad in central Texas. I drove to Austin a coupla times last week and saw some green popping up by the hundreds of acres.

I am waiting for the banks to foreclose on some used car dealers so I can do some used car shopping but it's gonna be a while. Or maybe I can get 'Bama to loan me one since he's gonna own everything starting next week some time.

But from the sound of things we (residents of Texas) might need to stop advertising about how things are around here. Seems like lots of folks around the country are looking to pile their belongings and grandma on top of that old Model T and head out for greener pastures and I don't think we want to turn into another Kali4neeya. Just my thoughts.

Old 02-18-2009, 08:45 AM

2 posts, read 2,932 times
Maybe it doesn't seem as affected because we have huge industries here in oil/gas and wind energy farms. They are building those turbine farms like crazy here. Oh, and no tax on groceries like some states. That can really add up those food costs.

Old 02-18-2009, 08:27 PM

2,966 posts, read 3,534,336 times
Anyone who says that Texas is overrated in anyway shall be considered an enemy of the state and punished accordingly in my humble opinion.

Old 03-26-2009, 11:41 PM

196 posts, read 640,821 times
No taxes on food uh? Ok. Run some numbers. The taxes on food like some states no where near equal the amount of extra taxes on property and housing in TX.

I have a houses in TX and other places and yes in other states I pay about an extra $400 bucks a year on food due to taxes. In TX though I pay an extra $1500 a year in taxes on the house. So basically there are many places much cheaper to live in then in TX.

My houses in many other places are also 1/2 the price then TX and the pay is about 25% MORE.

Old 03-27-2009, 12:38 AM

398 posts, read 1,417,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lutarian View Post
No taxes on food uh? Ok. Run some numbers. The taxes on food like some states no where near equal the amount of extra taxes on property and housing in TX.

I have a houses in TX and other places and yes in other states I pay about an extra $400 bucks a year on food due to taxes. In TX though I pay an extra $1500 a year in taxes on the house. So basically there are many places much cheaper to live in then in TX.

My houses in many other places are also 1/2 the price then TX and the pay is about 25% MORE.

only problem with other places is that theyre NOT Texas

Old 03-27-2009, 11:52 AM

25,157 posts, read 53,963,301 times
lol so very true and they tend to be administration or supervisors, right? ha ha

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomore07 View Post
Hogwash. I've worked with quite a few people who lack empathy or respect for others, and they didn't have Asperger's.

Old 03-27-2009, 09:20 PM

1,227 posts, read 3,013,811 times
No, it's overrated!! Please don't come here, we Texans like keepin' it to ourselves!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas