Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-28-2009, 04:58 PM

2,964 posts, read 3,531,482 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TX_AGGIE13 View Post
No, it's overrated!! Please don't come here, we Texans like keepin' it to ourselves!

good point
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2009, 08:41 PM

5,406 posts, read 13,277,589 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lutarian View Post
No taxes on food uh? Ok. Run some numbers. The taxes on food like some states no where near equal the amount of extra taxes on property and housing in TX.

I have a houses in TX and other places and yes in other states I pay about an extra $400 bucks a year on food due to taxes. In TX though I pay an extra $1500 a year in taxes on the house. So basically there are many places much cheaper to live in then in TX.

My houses in many other places are also 1/2 the price then TX and the pay is about 25% MORE.
Don't forget that Texas has the highest homeowner's insurance rates of ANY state in the country. But then again, who cares. Texas is great in many ways and falters in others.

Old 03-30-2009, 09:09 PM

2,964 posts, read 3,531,482 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canine*Castle View Post
Don't forget that Texas has the highest homeowner's insurance rates of ANY state in the country. But then again, who cares. Texas is great in many ways and falters in others.
I would assume that Florida had higher homeowners insurance rates because of the hurricane threat

Old 03-30-2009, 10:08 PM

398 posts, read 1,416,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by D-Towner View Post
I would assume that Florida had higher homeowners insurance rates because of the hurricane threat

also have to pay alligator insurance.

Old 04-02-2009, 05:30 PM

5,406 posts, read 13,277,589 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by D-Towner View Post
Florida is second in line and very close to the Texas' premium. I think the mold really hurt us tremendously.

AUSTIN – Texas homeowners still have the dubious distinction of paying the highest insurance rates in the nation – despite measures designed to lower rates and much worse weather losses in other states.

Texans still pay highest insurance rates for homeowner policies | News for Dallas, Texas | Dallas Morning News | Latest News (http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcontent/dws/dn/latestnews/stories/030309dntexinsurance.3cf2ee2.html - broken link)

Old 04-03-2009, 10:58 AM

17,440 posts, read 9,268,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lutarian View Post
No taxes on food uh? Ok. Run some numbers. The taxes on food like some states no where near equal the amount of extra taxes on property and housing in TX.

I have a houses in TX and other places and yes in other states I pay about an extra $400 bucks a year on food due to taxes. In TX though I pay an extra $1500 a year in taxes on the house. So basically there are many places much cheaper to live in then in TX.

My houses in many other places are also 1/2 the price then TX and the pay is about 25% MORE.
Texas has high property taxes but we don't have a state income tax. That's the basic trade-off. We also have high property insurance, partly because of the insurance lobby in Texas and partly because of the property damage due to occasional flooding rivers, hurricanes and tornadoes and hail storms. Keep in mind that Texas is a very big state so our overall stats can be compared to between 3-5 other states lumped together. The property tax problem is a real one that the legislature has never successfully been able to tackle. It boils down to school taxes. We need a way to fully fund education in rural areas (smaller population = smaller tax) and well as we do in urban areas with a larger tax base. The lottery was supposed to do that - it didn't, due to the politicians and their "special funds". The "Robin Hood" plan worked pretty well until the courts overturned it. We need to seriously solve this problem in Texas AND do it without a state income tax.

As to Lutarian - he is a California native to hates south Texas. He (supposedly ) owns all these expensive homes around the country but spends a lot of time on the boards trying to find a place to rent in other states.

Arkansas, Oregon, Utah, New Hampshire, Arizona, Virginia, Kentucky - and the "winner" appears to be Tennessee. Good Luck Tennessee.

Top "hates" - Texas pride, illegal aliens, drugs/crime, alligators/snakes/ticks and rude people.

Only thing about Texas he likes is Fredricksburg and beer. Like I said before, Texas is not for everyone. There is no such thing as a "perfect" state - especially a place with ZERO crime.

good luck with your coming move Lutarian, I hope you and your family will settle in and be happy.

Old 11-27-2010, 06:00 PM

2 posts, read 4,437 times
Hi,
Looking to relocate to Texas.
These seem to be older posts, how is the economy now?
Looking for good schools, safe area, good jobs!

Old 11-27-2010, 07:29 PM

1,534 posts, read 2,772,002 times
TX is not a rich state - the 11th poorest in the U.S. by many metrics and now a $25 billion budget shortfall for a low tax low service state - there ain't much to cut! Looks "all hat and no cattle" to me!

Old 11-28-2010, 09:32 PM

1,148 posts, read 2,780,650 times
The insurance rates are so high because the State of Texas gets a cut of that revenue in the form of taxes that go straight into the general fund.

Aka good old fashioned Texas style corruption. I'm sure if someone in the media bothered to trace donations to Good Hair they'd find insurance companies near the top of the list also. But the media in Texas for the most part seems to be asleep at the wheel or is happy with the scraps it gets from the political/corporate table.

Old 11-29-2010, 10:48 AM

3,491 posts, read 6,974,972 times
Texas has the nations best economy
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas