Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-22-2008, 08:51 AM

16,087 posts, read 41,147,800 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eastender67 View Post
Dallas = MUCH hotter and stinks to high Hell

Um kind of funny hearing from someone in Houston (refineries anyone?) that Dallas stinks...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2008, 08:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tstone View Post
Uptown Houston is definitely walkable if you don't mind crossing/jaywalking over 10 busy lanes of city street. I've done it regularly but you gotta stay vigilant.

Agreed... However the similarity is that that both feel uber-pretentious. Though Dallas' vibe is more laid back while Houston's is probably the most uptight place in the entire metro.

The women in Houston's Uptown walk very fast in fear, clutching their extra large Starbucks in one hand and keys/mace in the other. (They let you know what will happen to your eyes and nuts.) The women in Dallas' Uptown may be dressed to kill @ 2am Wednesday walking their dogs, and ask you if you want to go back to their apartment to hit the bong. All you have to do is hang out on your apartment balcony.

Dallas' has 40k millionaires living in it, while Houston's has true millionaires.

Another thing is petty car crime seems to be very high in both areas.
I seriously doubt that a 40K millionaire could afford a place at the Ritz-Carlton, W, Stoneleigh or Azure.

But if you want to talk billionaires I believe Dallas has more!

Old 07-22-2008, 09:22 AM

8,376 posts, read 30,691,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakewooder View Post
I seriously doubt that a 40K millionaire could afford a place at the Ritz-Carlton, W, Stoneleigh or Azure.

No but in many other apartments around, they team up with roommates.

Regardless of that, Uptown Dallas is a hell of a lot better place for a 20 something with a decent job to live than Uptown Houston.

Old 07-22-2008, 09:40 AM

5,429 posts, read 14,836,889 times
Quote:
Um kind of funny hearing from someone in Houston (refineries anyone?) that Dallas stinks...
Exactly how close are the refineries to Uptown? Why do you always bring them up? It gets old after awhile, don't you think? Especially considering that all the refineries are way over in the industrial east side suburbs... and it's not like Dallas doesn't have factories or industry nearby...

Old 07-22-2008, 09:51 AM

The areas are totally different.

Houston's Uptown is 5-6 miles west of the central business district. With the Galleria, Waterwall, etc. some may say it's a tourist trap in parts. There are a few large companies in the area though. Several good restaurants, lots of upscale shopping.

It's really an entirely different business district (from the central one) in itself.

Lots of high-rises for the wealthy there and more going up. Turnberry is one of the latest (have locations in Las Vegas, Miami, Atlanta... I think this is their first Texas location.)

That being said, more of the young hip crowd lives in Montrose, Midtown, the Heights. Uptown is more for older millionaires and out-of-towners.

Old 07-22-2008, 10:18 AM

808 posts, read 3,646,717 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by houstoner View Post
Dallas ain't no wonderland. It's polluted, too. City Mayors: The most polluted US cities
I know that Dallas is polluted, but for someone from Houston to suggest that that's a reason why Houston is better than Dallas is laughable at best.

Old 07-22-2008, 10:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by houstoner View Post
Dallas ain't no wonderland. It's polluted, too. City Mayors: The most polluted US cities
Quote:
Originally Posted by awecelot View Post
I know that Dallas is polluted, but for someone from Houston to suggest that that's a reason why Houston is better than Dallas is laughable at best.
I don't remember anyone saying that. Unless I missed it.

I thought the link was brought up to show that although Houston was #5 in ozone air pollution, Dallas was #7. Which isn't much better. There are a few people from Dallas on here who are always knocking Houston on the pollution and bringing up the refineries way over in Baytown, Channelview, Pasadena.

Old 07-22-2008, 10:52 AM

Cities Of The Billionaires - Forbes.com

Old 07-22-2008, 10:56 AM

1,198 posts, read 1,529,716 times
Uptown Dallas is okay (very walkable and such), but the people there are kind of "hoity-toity" (if you know what I mean).

Where as Uptown Houston, the people are a little more nicer and such, but walking there is so dangerous nowadays.

Old 07-22-2008, 10:57 AM

1,198 posts, read 1,529,716 times
Quote:
I grew up not too far from Houston (about 1 hour east of it) and I have to say the Houston stinks to High Heaven (as we say it back home). Dallas is much cleaner than Houston.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas