Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-26-2008, 08:20 AM

4 posts, read 33,986 times

Advertisements

Hello All,
I am moving to Texas and know nothing about the area so am having trouble deciding between Lubbock and Amarillo. My partner lives right outside Lubbock but was offered a job in Amarillo so I was told to decide where I want to live.
Like I said I know NOTHING about anything in Texas, I have only visited and am a life long New Mexican so I really need advice. What is a better area to raise a family? I have a twelve yr old daughter (middle school) and a 8 yr old son with high functioning autism.
I am very interested in the crime rate, school systems, special education services, ect....
If you could even point me in the right direction I would appreciate it.
I have found out already that Texans are alot friendlier then I have ever seen before so I am excited about the move. I just want to move someplace where my children will get a good education and be safe.

Thanks so much for the advice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2008, 12:50 PM

52,681 posts, read 47,932,189 times
Of the two cities, I prefer Lubbock personally, but you also need to be close to where your job is. If it's Amarillo, then you need consider staying in Amarillo because the cities are 124 miles apart. Is there any way that you and your significant other can try to reach some sort of a compromise?

Old 07-26-2008, 02:53 PM

1,992 posts, read 4,145,451 times
Amarillo and Lubbock are both equally good towns with similar school systems, values, politics, people. Amarillo is colder in the winter. Lubbock is dustier in the spring and fall. Really, pick the one that is best for you and your partner's job, and you will be fine.

Old 08-05-2008, 02:25 PM

2 posts, read 19,307 times
I think JamesAbilene got it right. I have lived in both towns and they are both good towns. You have to decide what works best for your situation.

Moderator cut: Realtor advertising~screen name is the same as the company~not allowed

Last edited by Jammie; 08-07-2008 at 07:05 AM..

Old 08-05-2008, 02:32 PM

658 posts, read 830,426 times
Good idea for a thread, as I am contemplating both cities for their values. I know almost nothing about North Texas, so I will be watching.

Old 08-09-2008, 11:10 AM

4,716 posts, read 8,572,305 times
I don't think you can go wrong with either city, but here are some of the differences I've seen:

Lubbock is Texas Tech and cotton; Amarillo is I-40 and cattle for the most part. Amarillo is older and past its prime, but that doesn't mean it's not growing. Lubbock has yet to reach its prime, and they are trying very hard to reach their full potential. Both cities have great elementary and middle schools, but I would say that Lubbock has better high schools because they are bigger and have more opportunities.(i.e. Lubbock High has one of the best magnet programs in the state.) I think it would be in your best interest to visit both cities before you make your desision, though.

Old 09-13-2008, 01:17 AM

2 posts, read 23,897 times
Well regardless of what the pop signs tell Amarillo metro Is bigger than lubbock but even as a life long amarillo resident And police officer here in amarillo I would pick lubbock based just on the crime rate

Old 09-13-2008, 05:05 AM

1,488 posts, read 5,235,972 times
I've lived both places......I felt safer in Lubbock and found there were more family things to do there.

Old 10-22-2008, 12:09 PM

10 posts, read 46,228 times
Lubbock is the better choice of the two it's growing faster and just the other day they were talking about Lubbock on CNN as having the 2nd strongest housing market in the nation and I also heard on the news here in Odessa the other day that Lubbock is one of the top 20 cities to weather out the recession.Besides that Lubbock has Texas Tech and is the medical hub of the area.It's a city thats constantly growing and theres alot more places to shop the mall is bigger than Amarillo's.The schools are good and the crime isn't bad but like most city's theres parts of town where the crime is higher.Like you mentioned people in Lubbock overall are very friendly it's a mid sized city but the people have that small town friendliness.Something I took for granted until I moved to Odessa which is 2 hours from Lubbock and the people here are rude and have no manners.I miss walking into a restraunt or a store and being greeted with a hello or atleast a smile or getting friendly service anywhere in general.That's why I can't wait to move back to Lubbock.Hope this helped some.

Old 03-16-2009, 10:05 AM

3 posts, read 20,909 times
Default City info of all kinds

Quote:
Originally Posted by momof2busybees View Post
I am very interested in the crime rate, school systems, special education services, ect....
If you could even point me in the right direction I would appreciate it.
You can find information on crime, schools, housing, climate, etc. at [URL="http://www.citi-data.com"]www.citi-data.com[/URL] . Oh! That is the sight where this forum link is. You are already here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas