Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-23-2007, 12:10 PM

47 posts, read 250,079 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KerrTown View Post
None of DFW's 'burbs made it to the top 10. The highest ranking, often lauded, Plano couldn't even make it into the top 10! (it was #11) It was beaten to the #10 spot by Eden Prarie, MN, a suburb of M/S-P!
So? I never even showed remote concern for that fact, as my point is elsewhere.

Like i said...basing a city on one suburb that made it in the top ten is an inaccurate way of determining suburbian life in that city area.

Old 06-24-2007, 09:45 AM

2,703 posts, read 3,415,192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by metroplex2003 View Post
I do think it's unfair to compare Woodlands to Mesquite.

If you're going to compare an upscale neighborhood to a middle income neighborhood, that's a bit unfair. A more fair comparison would be something like Southlake to Woodlands, or Plano/Allen to Woodlands, or Mansfield to Woodlands, but Mesquite????
Mansfield! Hell no! Mansfield is like a Pearland. Some upscale homes here and there, but nothing special at all.

Old 06-24-2007, 10:21 AM

Quote:
Again, it's unfair to compare Mesquite, TX to Woodlands, TX. IT's not a fair argument to prop up Houston area by saying Woodlands is superior to Mesquite. I think there should be more fairer comparisons made...such as Plano to Woodlands, or Southlake to Woodlands.
Ahh Southlake! Where the streets are paved in gold.

Quote:
Overall, DFW has some of the largest cities in Texas, and has several suburbs listed among the top cities in Texas. What makes this a great place to live is all of the options you have. If you want a little western flavor, Ft. Worth can offer up some western culture, if you want more chic, upscale, Dallas comes through with a booming trendy restaurant scene, boutiques, and upscale shopping.
The reason is Dallas did not annex land around the city while it could. This lead to the suburbs having large populations, and making the place feel lke one region, instead of a large collective city. I like driving down I-10 in Houston and thinking "oh man, Houston is big". Driving down I-20, it is more like "man, Arlington is kind of big, wait I'm in Grand Prairie now, nope back in Dallas, now Duncanville, then Dallas again, then Lancaster".

Quote:
Sports, very important in American culture, is big in the DFW area with DFW being only a handful of MSA's that offer all major league sports (not just some of them).
Okay, Houston just lacks an NHL team. That is it. We have NFL, NBA, MLB, MLS, hell even WNBA. Those teams are all located in the central city as well, not spread out. I was watching the Dynamo kill Chivas USA on ESPN on Wednesday I believe (they won 4-0 and just behind Dallas, they also didn't have four starters), and an announcer said stadium deals will be done by July 15th. The site will be on some parking lots near MMP in Downtown.

Quote:
If you want upscale suburbs with some of the largest sq. footage in the nation, again, DFW comes through again. It has something to offer for several demographics. And though our international population may not be as high as Houston's, it's not small by any means or as some would try to diminish its significance. DFW has a large TAiwanese population, Cantonese population, Korean Population, Vietnamese population, and of course Hispanic. WE have a korean district, several chinese districts, and a few vietnamese districts.
No man, no. Houston has all of those. Korea Town is near Spring Branch (north of I-10 along Gessner). Your districts in the region combined don't mess with Houston's. Read this: Houston Architecture Info Forum - HAIF® -> International Houston . Houston will always be international Texas. Houston has far more consular offices, more international traffic, huge port.

Quote:
So yes, Houston has more of these ethnic populations in absolute numbers and relative numbers overall, but I dont think you can diminish the asian cultures here on that fact...the culture is very strong here among the asian american communities. Several suburbs have close to 20% asian populations, which with the exception of california, Chicago, and NYC proper, does outpace the nation.
Yes, in raw numbers, Houston is more than DFW, even with 500,000 less people. DFW is more white than Houston.

Quote:
Houston does have great suburbs in Sugarland, Woodlands, but DFW has great suburbs in Southlake, Colleyville, Plano, Allen McKinney, Mansfield, Coppell, etc.
Okay... Houston has Katy, Cypress, Atascotia, League City, Humble, Pearland, Conroe, etc.

Quote:
Houston does have great restaurants, but so does DFW.
Houston has lots of retail opportunities at their Galleria, and their village in Uptown, but so does DFW in multiple spots.
Yes, both are the same.

Quote:
Houston does have great airport access, and their secondary airport Hobby is completely unrestricted unlike our secondary airport Love, but then again, DFW INt'l is the 2nd largest in the US, 3rd largest in the world, 3rd busiest in the US, 6th busiest in the world, and home to the world's largest carrier American.
I have always thought Love was landlocked. Didn't know Hobby was. There are some expansion plans for it. Regardless, Hobby does recieve more traffic and has more airlines. Congratulations on being the 2nd largest U.S. airport. Hasn't DFW traffic actually declined in the past few years? I know IAH in Houston is one of the fastest growing airports in America, along with Continental Airlines. American also handles more traffic out of O'Hare than DFW.

Quote:
Houston has great freeways, probably better designed b/c it has more access roads and HOV lanes overall, but DFW"s is great too...and traffic flow for having 500,000 more people is overall better in DFW.
Now, I think Houston's radial system has good flow. DFW has bad traffic...all the time. I was going down 360 today from the airport, and it was packed. I-20 has so much volume. The Grapevine Funnel is a pain in the ass.

Quote:
Houston has cheap real estate, DFW loses on the Dallas side, wins on the Ft. Worth side, but overall more expensive than HOuston.
Yes, Houston is cheaper

Quote:
Overall, depends on the person, 6,000,000 people have chosen DFW, 5.5 million have chosen Houston. Both sides have chosen either DFW or Houston to live in over San Antonio, Austin, El Paso, Corpus Christi.

The debate will rage on indefinitely!
Yes, both sides are pretty good. Houston is picking up the pace a bit more than DFW in raw numbers since 2000 and is closing the gap, b ut they both are about the same. You can't tell the difference between two though. Both are sprawling monsters. To me though, Houston's core (say Downtown on south to Reliant and west to Uptown) fells a lot more like a city and urban than Dallas or Fort Worth.

Old 06-24-2007, 02:28 PM

609 posts, read 2,921,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guerilla View Post
Ahh Southlake! Where the streets are paved in gold.

The reason is Dallas did not annex land around the city while it could. This lead to the suburbs having large populations, and making the place feel lke one region, instead of a large collective city. I like driving down I-10 in Houston and thinking "oh man, Houston is big". Driving down I-20, it is more like "man, Arlington is kind of big, wait I'm in Grand Prairie now, nope back in Dallas, now Duncanville, then Dallas again, then Lancaster".

Okay, Houston just lacks an NHL team. That is it. We have NFL, NBA, MLB, MLS, hell even WNBA. Those teams are all located in the central city as well, not spread out. I was watching the Dynamo kill Chivas USA on ESPN on Wednesday I believe (they won 4-0 and just behind Dallas, they also didn't have four starters), and an announcer said stadium deals will be done by July 15th. The site will be on some parking lots near MMP in Downtown.

No man, no. Houston has all of those. Korea Town is near Spring Branch (north of I-10 along Gessner). Your districts in the region combined don't mess with Houston's. Read this: Houston Architecture Info Forum - HAIF® -> International Houston . Houston will always be international Texas. Houston has far more consular offices, more international traffic, huge port.

Yes, in raw numbers, Houston is more than DFW, even with 500,000 less people. DFW is more white than Houston.

Okay... Houston has Katy, Cypress, Atascotia, League City, Humble, Pearland, Conroe, etc.

Yes, both are the same.

I have always thought Love was landlocked. Didn't know Hobby was. There are some expansion plans for it. Regardless, Hobby does recieve more traffic and has more airlines. Congratulations on being the 2nd largest U.S. airport. Hasn't DFW traffic actually declined in the past few years? I know IAH in Houston is one of the fastest growing airports in America, along with Continental Airlines. American also handles more traffic out of O'Hare than DFW.

Now, I think Houston's radial system has good flow. DFW has bad traffic...all the time. I was going down 360 today from the airport, and it was packed. I-20 has so much volume. The Grapevine Funnel is a pain in the ass.

Yes, Houston is cheaper

Yes, both sides are pretty good. Houston is picking up the pace a bit more than DFW in raw numbers since 2000 and is closing the gap, b ut they both are about the same. You can't tell the difference between two though. Both are sprawling monsters. To me though, Houston's core (say Downtown on south to Reliant and west to Uptown) fells a lot more like a city and urban than Dallas or Fort Worth.
I never said Houston didnt have a Korean district.
If you read my post, I admitted Houston has more international people than DFW, but to say that DFW is no culturally diverse is not correct..and that's what I was trying to say in my post. Yes Houston is diverse. Yes Houston has more international influences. But to say DFW relative to other US cities is not diverse, I think that's just plainly wrong. Lots of the pro-Houston (not you though) will say DFW is not diverse at all...but the numbers I run prove otherwise.
So as for Korean district,
I was just saying DFW did have one with no mention of Houston having one or not having one.
As for airports: Dallas Love Field will be growing in flights when the WrightAmendment, which is only partially repealed, will be fully repealed starting in 2014. Southwest's headquarters is at Love Field and looking at their plans, they're going to ramp up quickly once those limits are fully lifted.

As for DFW, the declining numbers are due to the loss of Delta's hub. DFW was at one point one of a few airports in the country with two major airline hubs. Unfortunately, Delta shut down their hub, causing the loss of flights. Those flights are slowly being replaced. DFW after Virgin America's initial EAst West Coast flights has named DFW as its first potential Texas target. American has its increased its flights since Delta shut down their hub. And overall, despite losing Delta, DFW still maintains its position as the 2nd largest airport in the US, 3rd largest in the world, 3rd busiest in the US, 6th busiest in the world.

Both IAH and DFW are vying for international service. Houston got Emirites recently. DFW maybe getting Qantas soon with the 787 and American's connections with the One World Alliance. American, which has its headquarters and largest hub at DFW, would provide Australians with seamless connections to the East Coast. Currently most Australians use American Airlines for their connections b/c of American's code shares with Qantas.

DFW's International Terminal D is clearly superior to IAH's Int'l terminal. In fact, Terminal D along with Skylink has made DFW the best airport in the US by JD Power and also the Best Connecting hUB in the US by Forbes Magazine. The International Terminal D is A380 compatible, and is America's newest recent terminal in a major airport.

As for traffic, Houston's traffic stats equates to longer commute times than Dallas. I know you're traveling 360...and you must be traveling 360 North during your AM commute and 360 south during your PM commute...but overall, DFW's average commute time is less than that of Houston. My hypothesis is that hub and spoke freeway system that houston has. All of Houston's major business districts are located within that inner loop: The downtown, the uptown district, and the medical center. And all major freeways flow into that center. And you're right, as a result, you get that dense feel within the inner loop, but you get traffic nightmares as well with bottlenecking.

DFW's: The Tollway district, Richardson Telecom Cooridor are located outside the LBJ. Downtown/Uptown Dallas, Las Colinas are located within the LBJ. And downtown Ft. Worth draws traffic from the mid cities and Arlington. But like you said, DFW is much more spread out...so it would make more sense why Houston has overall worse traffic patterns.

Old 06-24-2007, 10:45 PM

6,202 posts, read 11,447,133 times
Quote:
But like you said, DFW is much more spread out...
so it would make more sense why the Metroplex doesn't have much of a skyline. (Think L.A.)

Old 06-25-2007, 06:33 AM

609 posts, read 2,921,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KerrTown View Post
so it would make more sense why the Metroplex doesn't have much of a skyline. (Think L.A.)
Well, that depends on what stat you use. Everything is all relative. If you're saying that anyone below the top 5 largest skylines does not have much of a skyline, then no, but otherwise, I would say Dallas does have a significant skyline.

Dallas, using the Emporis forumula, has the 6th largest skyline in the US.

NYC #1, Chicago #2 (obviously) followed by Houston #3, Honolulu #4, LA #5, and then Dallas #6.

Dallas is also adding a/b 25 new high rises currently and in the process of approving another 25. Though I do not believe despite all this construction that the rankings will change.

Old 06-25-2007, 09:44 AM

2,930 posts, read 5,270,124 times
Who cares about who's traffic is worse between Dallas/Houston. Both cities are bad with traffic. Both cities are in the top 10, who cares about commute times and stuff like that. I was driving through Dallas on my way to Colorado on a Thursday afternoon and was sitting up in traffic for more than a hour! So don't act like Dallas is some walk in the park.

Old 06-25-2007, 10:23 AM

It really isn't. The last ranking I saw for traffic, Houston was 5th in the U.S., Dallas was 6th.

Old 06-25-2007, 12:00 PM

4,472 posts, read 17,694,054 times
Quote:
so it would make more sense why the Metroplex doesn't have much of a skyline.
Wow have you ever even been to Dallas? It has a very nice skyline, nothing like L.A.

Old 06-25-2007, 12:54 PM

LA has a beautiful skyline:

Downtown Los Angeles on Flickr - Photo Sharing! (http://www.flickr.com/photos/43952263@N00/460886149/in/photostream/ - broken link)

Downtown Los Angeles Skyline on Flickr - Photo Sharing! (http://www.flickr.com/photos/43952263@N00/460885691/ - broken link)

Downtown Los Angeles on Flickr - Photo Sharing! (http://www.flickr.com/photos/43952263@N00/460879388/in/photostream/ - broken link)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas