Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-03-2012, 10:16 PM

13,384 posts, read 25,751,740 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYer75 View Post
OK...so we have a 3k difference according to the US Census. That's a .02% difference. That's doesn't qualify Dallas as more diverse than Houston (South Asians).

So in addition to a diverse South Asian community (tied with Dallas), Houston has a higher Eastern Asian community than the Dallas/Metro area.
Which Dallas should have more of since the Dallas Metro area is bigger than Houston. Because as you say, the Asians are mostly out in the Burbs.

Which proves my point...Houston is more diverse than Dallas.

Let's not even get into the Latino community.

While the Latino community in Dallas is mainly Mexican, and Central American...Houston has a substantial Colombian, Cuban, Dominican, Puerto Rican, Venezuelan population in addition to the typical Mexican/Central American Latino.
I don't disagree with you. My point was not that Dallas is more diverse than Houston because it isn't. But you said Dallas wasn't diverse and it deffinately is.

Old 03-03-2012, 10:17 PM

4,775 posts, read 8,843,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
Huh at your 2nd to last sentence. How do you come to the conclusion that DFW black population is poised to pass Houston black pooulation?
The last two decades DFW black population has out grew Houston. Look at the data. I am just going by current trends. Houston got a big boost in its black number last decade from hurricane Katrina. Look at the link you can see how the gap is fairly small. Its not something that is too far fetch. Quitely DFW has been getting a lot of blacks from West Coast and Midwest. I've met some of them and most of them are well educated.

Look at the data

US2010

Old 03-03-2012, 10:17 PM

2,239 posts, read 3,230,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nairobi View Post
Actually, East Texas is often considered to be westernmost extension of the Deep South.

Deep South - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

It's debatable (though, not right now), but I've always considered Houston to be a gateway to the Deep South.

I don't agree, but I'd be interested in hearing your explanation for this.
I don't see Houston as anything Deep South, except for the occasional Cajun restaurant that you can find in Dallas, too.

Old 03-03-2012, 10:18 PM

20,516 posts, read 33,551,374 times
Quote:
Actually, East Texas is often considered to be westernmost extension of the Deep South.

Deep South - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

It's debatable (though, not right now), but I've always considered Houston to be a gateway to the Deep South.

I don't agree, but I'd be interested in hearing your explanation for this.
You can be a gateway and not actually be part of it or entirely in it. St. Louis is the gateway to the West. It is not in it. In Houstons case, only the northeastern burbs reminds me of deep south. Houston lies in the crossroads of several regions.

Old 03-03-2012, 10:18 PM

12,498 posts, read 26,998,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justme02 View Post
I think your confusing segregation and diversity. Spending time in Uptown Dallas, you arent going to see any diversity. The demographics of the city of Dallas vs. the city of Houston are almost identical. Both cities are 42-44% Hispanic, about 1/4 black and 25-30% white. The biggest difference is that DFW's Asian community is almost entirely suburban. Houston has more Asians in the city. Houston has no zoning which forces things closer together.

As far as Asians go, Houston has a lot more East Asians (Chinese, Filipinos, etc), but DFW has a bit more South Asians (Indians, Sri Lankan, etc.). To me the charts FairladyZ posted are most telling. The only really big difference between DFW and Houston is the Hispanic and White communities. Houston is 7% more Hispanic and 10% less white. The black and Asian difference are much smaller whereas Houston is 1.8% more black and 1.1% more Asian which is not really significant. Another thing to remember is that Houston's geographic position in South Texas makes it more prime for non-whites. It sits kind of at a cross roads between South Texas (Hispanic) and the deep South (African American). DFW on the other hand is in the middle of the prairie which is mostly white outside the urban areas.

I also agree with the person who said DFW is about 10 years behind Houston. What Houston looks like now is what DFW will be in 10 years.
Hey, not so fast, you're missing something important here...

D/FW anchors the I-35 Corridor of Texas, which is a pretty darn dense stretch of interstate by Texas standards from Denton on down to San Antonio.

Houston sits all by its lonesome along the Texas Gulf Coast (except for the Golden Triangle), yet it is a lot closer to Austin & San Antonio than Dallas is. There is practically nothing at all between Houston & Austin/San Antonio just woodlands & prairie with rural towns along the way. Even I-45 between Houston & Dallas is not that developed.

Last edited by Metro Matt; 03-03-2012 at 10:32 PM..

Old 03-03-2012, 10:19 PM

2,239 posts, read 3,230,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justme02 View Post
I don't disagree with you. My point was not that Dallas is more diverse than Houston because it isn't. But you said Dallas wasn't diverse and it deffinately is.
OK. I agree.

Old 03-03-2012, 10:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdogg817 View Post
The last two decades DFW black population has out grew Houston. Look at the data. I am just going by current trends. Houston got a big boost in its black number last decade from hurricane Katrina. Look at the link you can see how the gap is fairly small. Its not something that is too far fetch. Quitely DFW has been getting a lot of blacks from West Coast and Midwest. I've met some of them and most of them are well educated.

Look at the data

US2010
I knew you were going off that. In that link, it says Houston has 1.029 milion blacks. But look here.

HoustonInBlack.com: Houston's African American Middle Class Population
It has Houston nearing 1.1.milliin blacks. Who to believe.

Old 03-03-2012, 10:24 PM

Quote:
In order for that to happen, DFW's black growth would have to remain steady while Houston's slowed waaaaaay down. There are no signs of that happening, so it's a pipe dream for now.
The gap is less than 47,000 now. They can still both grow at a pretty good clip and DFW still could pass Houston up in black numbers.

Old 03-03-2012, 10:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
I knew you were going off that. In that link, it says Houston has 1.029 milion blacks. But look here.

HoustonInBlack.com: Houston's African American Middle Class Population
It has Houston nearing 1.1.milliin blacks. Who to believe.

Acutually that 1.1 million is what Houston is pushing towards as of 2012 according to Houstoninblack.com. But the census data 2010 had the population at 1.029

Old 03-03-2012, 10:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYer75 View Post
I don't see Houston as anything Deep South, except for the occasional Cajun restaurant that you can find in Dallas, too.
The thing is that Houston (and Dallas) black population will agree that they are Southern. But the rest if the different groups are quick to say they are Texan or w/e than they are Southern. I am not talking about transplants and /or illegal immigrants. Im talking about born and raised Texans. Everybody in Mississippi, Alabama, Georgia to an extent, and Louisuana (though that varies) will agree that they are Southern and holds those concentrated values dearly. You arent going to get that outside East Texas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas