Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-16-2007, 05:09 PM

19 posts, read 70,261 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakewooder View Post
If so why does Dallas have a Federal Reserve Bank which rules Houston (which has no such bank) and the entire region.
Oh, gimme a break. That federal bank system was set up 100+ years ago. Then, Dallas was bigger than Houston. I would dare say that if the system were being set up today, each would have a branch.

Old 10-16-2007, 06:38 PM

Well, I have just spent the last 3 hours reading these 59 pages of argument. The rivalry has always been extant between the two cities and probably always will be.

I will add a few things that I can't recall anyone mentioning:

Dallas has Neiman-Marcus--but,
Houston's NM sells more haute couture than does Dallas?

In the 1970's, when IAH was a few years old and DFW was barely open, DFW had twice the air passengers as IAH. (30,000,000 to 15,000,000). Not that way any longer.

Houston is still the "best dressed" business city in the country.
Houston is the 2nd politest city, after Nashville, in the country.
Houstonians eat out more than those of any other US city--Dallas is second.
Houston has 3 law schools and 2 medical schools. Dallas doesn't.

Dallas had the fortune of being able to add Fort Worth stats to its MSA while Houston has to stand pretty much on its own. Take away Ft. Worth, and there's absolutely no comparison.

IAH Bush and Hobby are in Houston as are the Astros, Rockets, Dynamo, and Texans. Dallas has one airport (Love) and two sports teams.

Dallas has the bigger airport, but Emirates, City Star, Air India are coming to Houston--not Dallas.

CO is far better than American--smaller, niche based and far nicer to fly than American.

By the way, Houston and Dallas tied for announcing Heathrow service from BA.

As far as the arts are concerned, Houston far more recognized on a global scale than is Dallas. I don't remember MOMA and the Met sending their treasures to Dallas and Berlin. It was Houston and Berlin. And, Lucy is in Houston, not Dallas.

Houston's museums more renowned that Dallas'. The MFAH received 1/2 billion dollars from Caroline "Weiss" Law that puts it on par with the world's great museums--or will be.

It's Houston's symphony, ballet, opera, theater and galleries that are written about in magazines around the world--not Dallas'.

Dallas has Harry Winston, but Houston has DeBeers. And HW has to get it's diamonds from DeBeers.

And, no Bergdorf's is not opening in Dallas. Would not make sense. I will admit that Dallas has about as many upscale stores that Houston does not have as Houston has that Dallas does not have. If Dallas has Market, why is Houston so equal in high-end fashion?

As for hotels and tourism, Houston is the 9th most visited city and Dallas #10.
Houston hotel rooms sold (2005)--14.5 million
Dallas hotel rooms sold (2005)--15.9 million (Dallas wins one!)

No. of visitors to Houston (2005)--31 million
No. of visitors to Dallas (2005)--22.3 million.

Wealthy Mexicans spend almost twice as much money in Houston jewelry and clothing store than Dallas and Ft. Worth, combined.

Houston's DT has as many cranes as does Dallas, if not more.

And, finally, Houston is the "givingest" city per capita in the country. Houstonians will bend over backwards to help Tsunami, hurricane, and earthquake victims than any other populace in the country. More money is raised for charity and fine arts and education in Houston in one year than probably 2 in Dallas.

And, Houston proper should be larger than Chicago by 2020.

On my last visit to Houston in May, I drove in through what is called Chinatown-West. It really should be Little Asia with so many occidental populations represented. I don't see that in Dallas. Houston truly is more culturally diverse with more 82 or 83 foreign consulates. Over 90 languages are spoken in Houston and I can't even begin to count the great international-based restaurants in Houston. Dining is really primo. Dallas is good, too, just not as good.

OH, well, I have now had my say.

Old 10-16-2007, 07:39 PM

6,202 posts, read 11,456,246 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by houstonianatheart View Post
Oh, gimme a break. That federal bank system was set up 100+ years ago. Then, Dallas was bigger than Houston. I would dare say that if the system were being set up today, each would have a branch.
Why does L.A. not host a Federal Reserve Bank? Apparently San Francisco is more important.

Dallas was selected after the delegate was able to secure alone time with the decider. New Orleans was supposed to be the winner but Dallas stole it.

Old 10-16-2007, 08:54 PM

4,472 posts, read 17,702,751 times
Quote:
Where are you getting these stats?

Quote:
In the 1970's, when IAH was a few years old and DFW was barely open, DFW had twice the air passengers as IAH. (30,000,000 to 15,000,000). Not that way any longer.
DFW still has 60+ million passengers compared to 42 million for IAH. Quite a bit of difference there.

Quote:
IAH Bush and Hobby are in Houston as are the Astros, Rockets, Dynamo, and Texans. Dallas has one airport (Love) and two sports teams.
Dallas has the Cowboys (5-1 right now), Mavericks, and Rangers. Houston Dynamo is SOCCER, it really isn't one of the big 3 sports (NFL, NBA, MLB).

Quote:
CO is far better than American--smaller, niche based and far nicer to fly than American.
I much prefer American over CO.

Quote:
Houston's museums more renowned that Dallas'. The MFAH received 1/2 billion dollars from Caroline "Weiss" Law that puts it on par with the world's great museums--or will be.
What about Dallas Museum of Art? Dallas Arborteum?

Quote:
It's Houston's symphony, ballet, opera, theater and galleries that are written about in magazines around the world--not Dallas'.
Really? Would you care to point out some?

Quote:
Wealthy Mexicans spend almost twice as much money in Houston jewelry and clothing store than Dallas and Ft. Worth, combined.
And you know this how?

Old 10-17-2007, 07:23 AM

20,516 posts, read 33,556,399 times
Quote:
These are what you call useless and worthless facts of the day. Best dressed business city in the country? LOL. Where did you get this comedy from?

Old 10-17-2007, 07:54 AM

8,376 posts, read 30,707,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
These are what you call useless and worthless facts of the day. Best dressed business city in the country? LOL. Where did you get this comedy from?

No kidding. This is probably one of the most business-casual dressed cities in the US.

And as far as non-business dress, we look like rags compared to the people in DFW. Works for me, though.

Old 10-17-2007, 11:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeedyAZ View Post
Where are you getting these stats?

Various newspapers year after year--NY Times, Dallas MN, Houston C., WS Journal and USA Today.

DFW still has 60+ million passengers compared to 42 million for IAH. Quite a bit of difference there.

True, but it's no longer twice as large as it was in the 1970's. The gap has closed quite a bit.

Dallas has the Cowboys (5-1 right now), Mavericks, and Rangers. Houston Dynamo is SOCCER, it really isn't one of the big 3 sports (NFL, NBA, MLB).

Dallas does not have the Cowboys--they play in Irving. That was my point-- as the Rangers are in Arlington.

What about Dallas Museum of Art? Dallas Arborteum?
They are fine instutions and places but Houston's MFAH, for example, is now the 3rd largest in the country. The Children's Museum is now the second largest and rated second best, but after the doubling expansion, will be the largest. The Museum of Natural History is the third largest of its type in the US--by numbers of visitors.

Really? Would you care to point out some? Ratings are from many sources of information that concentrates on fine arts, newspapers, national magazines. You just have to read them to be knowledgeable.

And you know this how?
It comes from statistics gathered from various sales sources. I also read it in a Mexico City publication when I was last there.

I would suggest that you read more finitely. You would know these things just as I do. Nothing comes from my opinion--all from reported sources.

Old 10-17-2007, 11:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tstone View Post
No kidding. This is probably one of the most business-casual dressed cities in the US.

And as far as non-business dress, we look like rags compared to the people in DFW. Works for me, though.
Rags? Come on. Both cities populations, who care enough, dress well. But, from Dress for Success, Houston's business (DT, Galleria, Medical Center, GP, etc.) dress more "respectfully" than in Dallas. Not my opinion, just from what I have read. Also, Playboy magazine has had this annual poll and Houston has bested Dallas several years running. And, it came as a surprise simply because the country looks upon Texans as cowboys in jeans.

Old 10-17-2007, 11:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrkool View Post
Houston vs. Dallas --- SMACKDOWN ???

Well, I think they both pretty much suck.
Both have probelms that far exceed their good points.
There... I just smacked both of 'em down!
It comes with being big cities. So do NYC, Chi, Philly, LA, Boston, etc. But Houston and Dallas have far more good things to offer than many older, declining cities.

Old 10-17-2007, 11:24 AM

In my personal opinion, this type of rivalry is healthy for both cities. Texas has the luxury of having two megacities/metropolises that compete for many things such as Olympics, conventions, international airlines, etc. Atlanta, for example, when it wanted the Olympics had support not just from all of Georgia, but basically all of SE US. No other city in that geographic area could have competed.

In California, SF and LA are so drastically different and have not much in common so there is very little competition as in Texas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas