Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-08-2012, 10:09 PM

8,928 posts, read 14,339,761 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dallasboi View Post
[/b]
Its because your not used to areas like that.....Houston has nothing like em.
Meh...I lived in Atlanta, which has twice the streetscape eye candy as Dallas. Imagine Knox-Henderson with far more trees, more brick, winding roads and hills. Like I said before, Atlanta is the only city that does Dallas better than Dallas, yet there's far more character out there.

Old 04-08-2012, 10:18 PM

5,673 posts, read 7,452,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nairobi View Post
Meh...I lived in Atlanta, which has twice the streetscape eye candy as Dallas. Like I said before, Atlanta is the only city that does Dallas better than Dallas, yet there's far more character out there.
And im perfectly fine with that(feelings still intact) becsuse thats YOUR opinion in which you are entitled to have.

Old 04-08-2012, 10:37 PM

8,928 posts, read 14,339,761 times
Quote:
And im perfectly fine with that(feelings still intact) becsuse thats YOUR opinion in which you are entitled to have.
So we're all cool here, right? No one's going to try to throw me off of the Margaret Hill bridge?

Old 04-08-2012, 11:19 PM

2,930 posts, read 5,272,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nairobi View Post
So we're all cool here, right? No one's going to try to throw me off of the Margaret Hill bridge?
LOL. God forbid, no!

That will be a long ,long scary fall in to that puddle of water. Wouldn't want you to drown!

stoneclaw/C2H (ComingtoHouston)

Old 04-08-2012, 11:39 PM

5,673 posts, read 7,452,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stoneclaw View Post
LOL. God forbid, no!

That will be a long ,long scary fall in to that puddle of water. Wouldn't want you to drown!

Anybody can drown in a 40 ft deep puddle of water

Old 04-08-2012, 11:54 PM

2,930 posts, read 5,272,017 times
Quote:
Anybody can drown in a 40 ft deep puddle of water
i thought it was 2 ft.

Old 04-09-2012, 12:05 AM

405 posts, read 822,956 times
Something else I notice from outside looking in on these boards AND in real life, is that for all Houston's talk of being "friendly" instead of "snobbish" like they claim Dallas is, Houston people sure go out of their way to put Dallas down a lot.

I don't notice this as much from Dallasites, because it seems like they are too busy loving and enjoying Dallas to worry about Houston.

You can ask a Houstonian about Dallas, and they immediately laugh and/or get worked into a frenzy, going out of their way to insult Dallas and try to convince you (and perhaps themselves as well) why Houston is sooooo much better than Dallas in so many different ways.

On the other hand, if you ask the average Dallasite about Houston, they're either indifferent or will tell you that Houston is a nice city, too. Rarely ever will they try to put Houston down to make Dallas look better. There are even quite a few Houstonians on these boards that go out of their way to try to endlessly, shamelessly and ridiculously promote Houston while straight up BASHING Dallas in order to do so. And they REALLY get mad whenever someone points out an area where Dallas clearly has the advantage over Houston.

If Houston people act that childish, mean, and petty about their city, then it's hard to see why they call folks from DFW the snobs.

Maybe Houstonians do that because they feel insecure and threatened by the fact that Houston is not the clear front runner for best city in Texas like they'd like to think it is? Because really, neither Dallas nor Houston are better or worse than the other; they're both very nice, large, diverse, progressive and fun cities that have plenty of opportunities and options for a wide variety of people. It really all just depends on what a person is looking for an what their preferences are.

As someone from the outside looking in who was trying to decide whether to relocate to Houston or Dallas, after much heavy thought, I chose Dallas. But I will also say that as someone from the outside looking in, all the hate, animosity, and jealousy that many Houstonians go out of their way to hurl at Dallas only serves to make Dallas seem that much more appealing than Houston to me.

Old 04-09-2012, 12:32 AM

343 posts, read 805,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShaunJuan View Post
Something else I notice from outside looking in on these boards AND in real life, is that for all Houston's talk of being "friendly" instead of "snobbish" like they claim Dallas is, Houston people sure go out of their way to put Dallas down a lot.

I don't notice this as much from Dallasites, because it seems like they are too busy loving and enjoying Dallas to worry about Houston.

You can ask a Houstonian about Dallas, and they immediately laugh and/or get worked into a frenzy, going out of their way to insult Dallas and try to convince you (and perhaps themselves as well) why Houston is sooooo much better than Dallas in so many different ways.

On the other hand, if you ask the average Dallasite about Houston, they're either indifferent or will tell you that Houston is a nice city, too. Rarely ever will they try to put Houston down to make Dallas look better. There are even quite a few Houstonians on these boards that go out of their way to try to endlessly, shamelessly and ridiculously promote Houston while straight up BASHING Dallas in order to do so. And they REALLY get mad whenever someone points out an area where Dallas clearly has the advantage over Houston.

If Houston people act that childish, mean, and petty about their city, then it's hard to see why they call folks from DFW the snobs.

Maybe Houstonians do that because they feel insecure and threatened by the fact that Houston is not the clear front runner for best city in Texas like they'd like to think it is? Because really, neither Dallas nor Houston are better or worse than the other; they're both very nice, large, diverse, progressive and fun cities that have plenty of opportunities and options for a wide variety of people. It really all just depends on what a person is looking for an what their preferences are.

As someone from the outside looking in who was trying to decide whether to relocate to Houston or Dallas, after much heavy thought, I chose Dallas. But I will also say that as someone from the outside looking in, all the hate, animosity, and jealousy that many Houstonians go out of their way to hurl at Dallas only serves to make Dallas seem that much more appealing than Houston to me.
I would tend to agree with this. I think this is because, on a national level, Dallas gets more recognition than Houston despite the many amazing things Houston has going for it. Houston has a great economy, a robust job market, and has contributed lots to America but rarely gets much national spotlight (whereas Dallas enjoys plenty).

Although I can see some of the Houstonians actions as justifiable, I do agree that it appalls me sometimes at the level of bashing that occurs. Sure, it happens from both sides but it tends to be much more rampant coming from Houstonians at least on these boards. I do not know what people in Houston think of Dallas, but generally in Dallas people are either indifferent towards Houston, or maybe simply "prefer Dallas"

I am the first to admit that I LOVE Houston although I am a native and current Dallasite. Houston is an awesome city with a lot going for it. Although I defend Dallas on certain fronts, I do not think there is any reason to do it at the expense of Houston

Old 04-09-2012, 01:39 AM

3,197 posts, read 5,376,095 times
Quote:

^ I agree with most or these comments.

I've noticed that generally the DFW posters are complimentary of many developments in Houston. Where it goes so wrong is the incessant need by a few Houston posters to slant everything as 'this is bigger or better or larger or taller or more important than what your city has' mentality.

Thankfully, in the real world I'm good friends with several native Houstonians. They act nothing like some of the posters on C-D towards Dallas.

It's difficult at times, but I try to separate what I see posted on these threads from what I know in reality.

Old 04-09-2012, 06:16 AM

8,030 posts, read 9,052,833 times
Quote:

I don't notice this in real life at all. CityData (especially threads like these) is a poor indicator of what actually happens in reality.

And there are documented cases of the reverse.... 2012 Olympic contest anyone? And news bloggers from all the major cites rip into the other cities on occasion. I see Austin bloggers do it a lot lately.

You're not really an outsider looking in anymore, you said you chose Dallas. And with remarks like these, you are participating in the trash talk as well, pulling the old inferiority complex card. Just sayin'.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas