Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-01-2015, 12:28 AM

5,673 posts, read 7,477,098 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Lance View Post
I didn't post or imply anything stating that you posted anything about zoning. I posted about zoning in another thread in reply to another poster so please pay attention. OK Oil & Gas are big in Houston so what ? You clearly implied that Houston was an outlier in Texas in terms of economic segregation or "gap" as you put it. I clearly disproved that, regardless of the diversity of the economy or lack there of, so that, is that.
Why do Houstonians feel scammed when people prefer Dallas....ugh!!!

Old 06-01-2015, 12:50 AM

394 posts, read 436,834 times
Quote:
I didn't post or imply anything stating that you posted anything about zoning. I posted about zoning in another thread in reply to another poster so please pay attention. OK Oil & Gas are big in Houston so what ? You clearly implied that Houston was an outlier in Texas in terms of economic segregation or "gap" as you put it. I clearly disproved that, regardless of the diversity of the economy or lack there of, so that, is that.
Lmao

No man you read it wrong, this is the problem with message boards sometimes

Houston is NOT a "gap" economically I would put DFW and Houston as EASILY 1a and 1b economically

My point is there are NOTICEABLE differences IN SES withIN suburbs/cities of Houston. I stayed near the midtown area when I lived in Houston(great area btw) but that area is EXPected to be like that!

I have friends note ably from the Spring/woodlands area, Katy area and Sugarland area...

While I agree that those types of areas in Houston aren't SES "segregated" like DFW.. You will have a mix of different incomes in those areas that CAN be apparent.. I once roomed with two different guys FROM the woodlands area and on ENTIRELY different SES backgrounds.. They both had their share of their story but, I can only go off what I heard, that NOT everyone in an area like that WILL be of the same economic status (not that it matters) and there can be a "gap" of SES withIN communities in Houston(I use that as an example).

Perhaps Houston is not as economically "segregated " as DFW, and again there really isn't a wrong or right answer here , but a "gap" within the communities can be apparent .. And I base this off what they told me and others (of different areas, not the Woodlands, but I use that as an example) and they descended a similar situation growing up.

Let's compare that to DFWs premier city Highland Park.. I can guarantee you (lol) go drive in their for 5 minutes and you can tell that it will be 99.9% affluent lol

I'm just saying in COMPARISON with DFW it WILL be noticeable

Now... Is that true of certain areas in DFW? Absolutely!!! Plano?(lmao)

But I just heard and "saw" that more in Houston... It isn't an "offensive" thing I'm just being honesr and blunt about it

Old 06-01-2015, 01:19 AM

6,301 posts, read 7,531,644 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Man74 View Post
Lmao

No man you read it wrong, this is the problem with message boards sometimes

Houston is NOT a "gap" economically I would put DFW and Houston as EASILY 1a and 1b economically

My point is there are NOTICEABLE differences IN SES withIN suburbs/cities of Houston. I stayed near the midtown area when I lived in Houston(great area btw) but that area is EXPected to be like that!

I have friends note ably from the Spring/woodlands area, Katy area and Sugarland area...

While I agree that those types of areas in Houston aren't SES "segregated" like DFW.. You will have a mix of different incomes in those areas that CAN be apparent.. I once roomed with two different guys FROM the woodlands area and on ENTIRELY different SES backgrounds.. They both had their share of their story but, I can only go off what I heard, that NOT everyone in an area like that WILL be of the same economic status (not that it matters) and there can be a "gap" of SES withIN communities in Houston(I use that as an example).

Perhaps Houston is not as economically "segregated " as DFW, and again there really isn't a wrong or right answer here , but a "gap" within the communities can be apparent .. And I base this off what they told me and others (of different areas, not the Woodlands, but I use that as an example) and they descended a similar situation growing up.

Let's compare that to DFWs premier city Highland Park.. I can guarantee you (lol) go drive in their for 5 minutes and you can tell that it will be 99.9% affluent lol

I'm just saying in COMPARISON with DFW it WILL be noticeable

Now... Is that true of certain areas in DFW? Absolutely!!! Plano?(lmao)

But I just heard and "saw" that more in Houston... It isn't an "offensive" thing I'm just being honesr and blunt about it
So you are saying Houston is not as economically segregated as DFW ? OK whats wrong with that ?

There are many neighborhoods in Houston that are easily as affluent as Highland park, West University comes immediately to mind.

BTW Houston is the 1a economy in this state so if that's the way you see it too then we are in total agreement and all is well....

Old 06-01-2015, 01:33 AM

6,301 posts, read 7,531,644 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas32 View Post
It seems like Houston has more bars after doing more research. Is that right?
If you are talking about neighborhood or "dive" bars then I would say yes...

Old 06-01-2015, 08:17 AM

8,030 posts, read 9,071,642 times
Quote:
I think its time to clear up some of these Urban Myths concerning zoning in Houston. True Houston does not have a Zoning code per se, but it does have building codes which in many cases act as zoning ordinances and Houston does have laws against building any business that serves or sells alcohol within 1500 feet of a church or school. Yes there are some businesses that are grandfathered into the law and if the establishment that serve's or sells alcohol was there first it can remain. But these people who try to give the impression that every church or school in Houston is located next to a strip club are hyperbolic in their descriptions.
True. They have city ordinances that largely take the place of land zoning.

As to the OP, I don't think the differences are huge. Dallas has colder winters. Houston is more lush with taller trees and more greenery.

Old 06-01-2015, 09:37 AM

Quote:
So you are saying Houston is not as economically segregated as DFW ? OK whats wrong with that ?

There are many neighborhoods in Houston that are easily as affluent as Highland park, West University comes immediately to mind.

BTW Houston is the 1a economy in this state so if that's the way you see it too then we are in total agreement and all is well....
Yes I agree with you

You have to remember this is a VERSUS or COMPARISON thread so I was merely COMPARING the DIFFERENCES of the two... Doesn't mean either is "better" or not as that is subjective as well

I would still say 1a and 1b economically between Houston and DFW is a toss up again... There isn't a clear "better" one again.

However I ONCE was in the medical field and I can admit that I am a big fan of TMC

But I still love DFW and pick that, if I have to pick, all day

Old 06-01-2015, 09:37 AM

47 posts, read 53,174 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy1953 View Post
Houston has boomed in the recent past when the price of oil was high. DFW, Austin, San Antonio, others are booming as they have multiple strong industries and don't rely on oil. If Houston does not have high oil prices to support it's economy it immediately starts tanking.

Houston's economy slowing faster than expected - Houston Chronicle

The article says "Half of Houston jobs are still tied to the energy industry, he said"
Quote:
BEA releases its 2015 estimates in September 2016 reflecting the drop in oil prices of the recent past. You are not going to like your per capita numbers so much.
Quote:
Houston is it's own worst enemy becoming a good much less a great city.
Quote:
Time will tell. I bet on DFW,
It's always interesting that people think that DFW will pass Houston economically during this oil downturn. It won't, for two main reasons.

The first is that as much as some folks are loathe to admit it, DFW has its hand pretty deep in the O&G cookie jar as well. Negative effects of a poor O&G economy hits DFW during these downturns as well, albeit at a lower level. The DFW area has carved out quite a niche in business support services for Houston O&G companies, as well as serving as the HQ of quite a few smaller companies.

The second reason is that prices aren't that low from a historical perspective - they are similar to what they were in 2005, and Houston was growing strongly through that period. The reality is that we are still in a time period of generally high oil prices and unless they were to tank for an extended period of time, it's only going to be a blip in the growth of the region. Though I expect GDP and personal income numbers to sag a bit in Houston in 2014, DFW won't be passing it unless we get into a long stretch of sub-$50 oil prices, and the broader U.S. economy is simultaneously doing well. DFW has been the smaller of the two metros on a per capita basis (whether we're talking GDP or personal income) for the last 15 years, after generally being the slightly larger metro from that perspective for the majority of the previous 30 years. Times have changed in Texas.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dallasboi View Post
Why do Houstonians feel scammed when people prefer Dallas....ugh!!!
What makes you think that? I've lived in both and they are both great areas. But they have a different feel. In my opinion, Dallas is more of a starched, buttoned down, orderly, fairly predictable city. The suburbs are generally very uniform, clean, and laid out well and the city itself is one of the better planned cities I've seen. In Dallas, order is king.

Houston, on the other hand (imo), is a wilder, quirkier, and inherently more interesting city. The culture is different and more laid back and its easy to end up somewhere you never expected to be when finding fun things to do. Hidden gems, if you will. It just has a different feel and for some people (like me) it's more my speed. For others, its downright terrifying (and having lived in "calmer" metros I can understand that). To each his own.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Man74 View Post
No doubt about that - DFW is the poster child for income segregation in the state if you ask me. I think a lot of that has to do with the fact that many of the "newer" areas (ie suburbs) that now make up DFW were previously nothing but farmland. People could create new communities using a clean canvas. In Houston, a lot of these new communities are intermingled with much older towns that in most cases were also poorer. Therefore, you get more SES mixes as you pointed out.

With that said, there's not THAT many areas of the city itself (suburbs are different) I'd say are that economically integrated in Houston. There are a few, but those who want to live amongst similar income levels generally can do so within the city if they so choose.

Old 06-01-2015, 09:53 AM

47 posts, read 53,174 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas32 View Post
It seems like Houston has more bars after doing more research. Is that right?
Subjectively, I'd say yes, but that's only using the eye test...

Overall, to an outsider, they won't be all that different. They are laid out slightly differently and Dallas is signficantly more orderly, but other than that they offer essentially identical amenities and such. If you're a city person, you can find an area of either city you'd enjoy, and if you're a suburban person they both have plenty to choose from in that regard.

Very good idea to at least spend a couple of days in both before deciding though.

Old 06-01-2015, 10:28 AM

Thebeard,

I don't feel like quoting but you make some excellent points... I've lived in both as well and prefer DFW all day but still have love for Houston..

I would say the cities are more so just different "personalities" bc you can get arguably the SAME in both cities
The O&G comment you made is true but it doesn't matter it IS still the "dominant" force in Houston outside of TMC

Correct me if I'm wrong, but a lot of the IB in Houston is based off that as well

The "orderly" comment about dfw is very true. I would say for more "structure" you will get that in both, I prefer that btw... Having something more ordered/structured and predictable

BOTH have OUTSTANDING nightlife so that is really a toss up... And we are not talking about the overrated/overcrowded (good when you're 21-22 or a college undergrad) nightlife in ATX.. DFW and Houston boasts some of the best nightlife in the country I think

And as far as economic integration within communities, I don't prefer that(honestly), there's nothing wrong with that and I think that that is a reflection of Houston diversity itself.. Altho BOTH are very diverse, I would give the slight edge to Houston in terms of diversity

Old 06-01-2015, 11:39 AM

5,673 posts, read 7,477,098 times
http://cw33.com/2015/05/30/tallywack...-for-business/
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas