Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-16-2008, 09:20 AM

61,288 posts, read 87,431,754 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NOTAM View Post
Texans are friendly, down-to-earth folks.
My impression of Californians-and yes I have been there before (in Hollywood/Beverly Hills/LA/San Diego/Miramar/Del Mar) is: superficial, liberal, plastic, fake, vain, rich, materialistic, snobby.
that is not true. btw did i tell you about my new 159 dollar coffee maker?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-16-2008, 09:25 AM

4,760 posts, read 13,828,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry3911948 View Post
that is not true. btw did i tell you about my new 159 dollar coffee maker?
My California friends just bought a $3500 espresso maker and had it plumbed into their kitchen. Yes, I was envious!

Old 12-16-2008, 01:30 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,431,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Topaz View Post
My California friends just bought a $3500 espresso maker and had it plumbed into their kitchen. Yes, I was envious!
i am humbled but of course i am only a fake californian, a U of H graduate.

Old 12-16-2008, 03:23 PM

340 posts, read 645,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOTAM View Post
Texans are friendly, down-to-earth folks.
My impression of Californians-and yes I have been there before (in Hollywood/Beverly Hills/LA/San Diego/Miramar/Del Mar) is: superficial, liberal, plastic, fake, vain, rich, materialistic, snobby.
My thoughts on Californians from that area are the same. But then again, some areas of Texas are like that; Southlake comes to mind, having recently been dubbed richest city (http://www.star-telegram.com/news/story/1084741.html - broken link) in terms of median household income. Not that I'm jealous or anything...

Old 12-17-2008, 09:31 AM

5,479 posts, read 12,266,813 times
OK, so provide some advice, pointers on not being labeled a Yankee or damn Yankee if I move from Chicago. I hope being polite, friendly, open to learning what's different about local culture & tradition and accepting it* (Vs. wanting to change it)and respecting others opinions will work. If I will be labeled just by the way I talk, walk or look then maybe I don't want to move. I went through that when I lived in Western GA. Because I only had the drawl after 5-6 beers, I heard the Yankee thing too often. Jeez, the Civil War (I'm sorry, the War Between the States) has been over for 150 years. AND besides, I'm a Midwesterner not from the NE. I am not a fri@*&# Yankee!

* Unless it's illegal or immoral

Old 12-17-2008, 09:40 AM

4,760 posts, read 13,828,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cubssoxfan View Post
OK, so provide some advice, pointers on not being labeled a Yankee or damn Yankee if I move from Chicago. I hope being polite, friendly, open to learning what's different about local culture & tradition and accepting it* (Vs. wanting to change it)and respecting others opinions will work. If I will be labeled just by the way I talk, walk or look then maybe I don't want to move. I went through that when I lived in Western GA. Because I only had the drawl after 5-6 beers, I heard the Yankee thing too often. Jeez, the Civil War (I'm sorry, the War Between the States) has been over for 150 years. AND besides, I'm a Midwesterner not from the NE. I am not a fri@*&# Yankee!

I don't know about the rest of Texas, but many people I meet in the Houston area aren't even from Texas. And I think people feel more free to be a bit rude with the "damn Yankee" talk when they are on an Internet relocation forum than they ever would be in person. I wouldn't worry about it too much as anyone who is "polite, friendly, open to learning what's different about local culture & tradition and accepting it" will do just fine.

Old 12-17-2008, 04:13 PM

5,406 posts, read 13,278,915 times
I just refer to people as damn fools when it's warranted. It doesn't matter if they're southern, northern, eastern, or western.

Old 12-18-2008, 11:19 AM

1,298 posts, read 4,287,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cubssoxfan View Post

You sound like a pretty decent and level-headed person in any Texan's book - or anyone else's book. You don't have anything to worry about!

Old 12-18-2008, 07:05 PM

322 posts, read 903,199 times
Having lived in a few states, I find this interesting. Currently, I reside in Alaska, which I hate because of the winter. I lived in Massachusetts as well. It is funny, but Alaska has some of the same independent streak that Texas does and is very Republican. Yet, I have never seen a place where as high of percentage of people work for the government or belong to a labor union. People move here to get away from "people" by which they mean society and the government - and then they go and work for it and join labor unions.

In Boston, everyone was very "liberal." This doesn't mean "open-minded" because if you disagreed with certain issues, they looked down on you. Strangers aren't as friendly to one another as they are in Texas, but I can say the climate has something to do with that because I see it in Alaska too, even though people like think Alaskans are friendly and help one another. Alaskans are not as "judgmental" as people in either the South or the Northeast coast as far as impressions go. They don't spend a lot of time talking about you behind your back - they just really don't care. I think southerners are more chattier and friendlier because harsh winters really make you just want to get away from everyone and hunker down and not really care about "small talk." Bostonions will talk about you behind your back if they don't like you, but they don't have any pretense about being your friend. Some people mistake Southern hospitality for friendship.

Old 12-18-2008, 07:52 PM

20,958 posts, read 45,410,702 times
And some people mistake friendliness for friendship, when it is merely the prelude to friendship, which develops over time after the initial contact is made, if all goes well.

I sometimes think Liz Carpenter might have been the epitomy of Texas friendliness. She was famous for her small, intimate parties, and at her parties, one might find both Lady Bird Johnson and the clerk at her favorite grocery who she invited while going through the checkout.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas