Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-23-2008, 11:38 AM

14,862 posts, read 42,882,290 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canine*Castle View Post
Duh, but I think I can safely say most of us don't read every word. Forgive me for ignoring your wisdom.

I never called Bush a native (one has to be born here to be a native), so forget that one. I said he was a Texan to me. If he's acting, fine. I believe you; let it rest. He's almost toast anyway and we can move on to the man who will fix what he ruined.

I apologized for offending you about Ann. I said I believed you when you said she did well for Texas. Are you not reading every single word? Shame on you.
I did read every single word.

Do yourself a favor. Read up on her and gain some wisdom. Don't just believe me, I don't need to be pandered to. Just taking my word for it does nothing. Find out for yourself. Gain some knowledge. If I believed everything that someone posted on a forum and did not research it to find out more it would be a pity.

Then again, I thrive on history and believe it plays a HUGE role in how we shape our future.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-23-2008, 11:39 AM

5,406 posts, read 13,278,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momof2dfw View Post
Oh puh-lease. Where on earth was I "downright hostile" and "terribley defensive". I gave out HISTORY of the state based on YOUR remarks. I'd say someone is a bit testy today. Maybe the cold cloud covered days are not as good to you as you may think
This one made me chuckle. I guess it's just the way you write that made me think that. Don't take it to heart. THL thought I was cranky with my writing.

Hey, quit putting down Texas' cold cloudy days. That is rude and if you don't like it, you should move. I'm just kidding, but that's what I get when I mention heat and humidity.You "yuck" the cloudy weather, I don't like the heat. Let's face it; we're all off our rockers a wee bit.

I think we should all get together and have lunch some place some day. We might find out we're all as fantastic as we all think we are. You might even really like this transplant because most people do and I'm sure the same can be said for you. Remember, my transplanted roots have been growing for 30 years in this soil but, don't say it, I know I'm not a Texan.

Last edited by Canine*Castle; 12-23-2008 at 12:00 PM..

Old 12-23-2008, 11:45 AM

Quote:
I did read every single word.

Do yourself a favor. Read up on her and gain some wisdom. Don't just believe me, I don't need to be pandered to. Just taking my word for it does nothing. Find out for yourself. Gain some knowledge. If I believed everything that someone posted on a forum and did not research it to find out more it would be a pity.

Then again, I thrive on history and believe it plays a HUGE role in how we shape our future.
I do read up on things that are of interest to me so that I may gain knowledge and don't believe all I read even on the internet (aside from CD), but I'm just not interested in what she did. History has always been one of my weaknesses anyway.

All of what I mentioned about Ann didn't have anything to do with what she did or didn't do for the state. I just mentioned I didn't like her demeanor.

Old 12-23-2008, 11:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasReb View Post
LOL But I...and a decided majority do! BUT...notice how I have "been good" about staying out of this one?
You know it's only because you're at work today, right? You can't cheat your company and post on CD. It would be unethical. But then again, maybe you're off for the holidays and really are being good.

Old 12-23-2008, 12:17 PM

3,309 posts, read 5,774,143 times
I do get what Momof2 is saying about the independence thing. LOL my ex husband is from IL and he was always making remarks about me being such a damn Texan. When asked what's that suppose to mean, it was always, you have to be so damn independent. I'm like what? just because I'm not going to take sh*t off of you or anyone else for that matter? LOL When I was a kid, I thought everyone was that way! My daddy raised us to think for ourselves and don't take crap off of no one! Now I'm not going to say this applies only to Texans because we all know it doesn't, LOL, it won't even apply to ALL Texans. But I will say, through the years and through the many people I've known (which Lord, this is only a small sampling in the scheme of things) I will say I believe it is the Texas spirit of independence that has managed to live on in the majority of us, enabling us to be the way we are. In saying this, I am not implying that we are each an island unto ourselves. I think there are times that each of us needs help in some manner or the other and it is good to know someone is out there is willing to help. I do think though that when someone offers the help with so many strings and unbearable conditions, most Texans will say shove it up your a**! we'll manage without! I am NOT saying this applies only to Texans, we all know it does not, but I will say I think it is an attitude that is prevalent among Texans.

Old 12-23-2008, 02:08 PM

20,958 posts, read 45,410,702 times
Quote:
Even though some of us did not live thru the Civil War (gosh, yes I have to bring that up as that is where the "independence" of most Texans comes from and our "Southern" roots)
I have to disagree with you on this one, momof2dfw. Texan independence far predates the War Between the States. We were a country in our own right (and fought for that) long before then. The people who came here THROUGH the South (occasionally stopping off there along the way) were the kind of people who were independent enough to keep going until they found the place that felt right to them, and to only stop then, and once they found it, they fought for it if need be.

The Alamo, Goliad, San Jacinto, and more - those are the symbols of the roots that our independence springs from. That, and those who came here about about the same time (and earlier) from Germany, Mexico, Spain - all way before the war you cite.

Old 12-23-2008, 02:33 PM

14,862 posts, read 42,882,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasHorseLady View Post
I have to disagree with you on this one, momof2dfw. Texan independence far predates the War Between the States. We were a country in our own right (and fought for that) long before then. The people who came here THROUGH the South (occasionally stopping off there along the way) were the kind of people who were independent enough to keep going until they found the place that felt right to them, and to only stop then, and once they found it, they fought for it if need be.

The Alamo, Goliad, San Jacinto, and more - those are the symbols of the roots that our independence springs from. That, and those who came here about about the same time (and earlier) from Germany, Mexico, Spain - all way before the war you cite.
True, it does predate that war. As a matter of fact a good number of Texans did make their way here thru the South. They were the MOSTLY the founders of the "New World". They came over before anything was here but the Native Indians. Fought in The Revolutionary War and every other war along the way to get this country where it is today. Funny thing as you mention it...... From tracing my own genealogy and my husbands here is what I found and it pretty well goes for a good number of Southern Families and families in Texas:
Both sides EVERY single family line was here on this soil by 1700. Some came on the Mayflower while others followed shortly afterwards. They settled new territory all along the East Coast. They were the ORIGINAL founders of much of New England and the original 13 Colonies. (Not just our families but all of those during these times ). With each war that was fought these independent souls were given land to settle in the newest territory of this "new country". They went to North Carolina, then another war and onto South Carolina, Tennessee and Kentucky. Another war and onto Georgia. Some of the independent souls then went onto explore Florida, Alabama, Mississippi and Louisiana. Some went to the midwest instead of the "Deep South". Along the way some family lines stayed put while others forged ahead always looking for the next and newest frontier to settle. HOWEVER, by the time many of these made it to Texas...... they found their Utopia. Previously with each new generation someone moved onto the next area but that did not happen in Texas. They stayed put. They settled and stayed here. Sure a few went off in different directions but overall they stayed put right here in Texas. They found their slice of Heaven on Earth.

The Germans and others you mention that also came to Texas first had the same spirit of independence in them. That is why Texas is SOOOO VAST and everyone is the way they are. We meshed together so well because of that independence. We were not afraid of the unknown and going to a place a half a world away were we knew no one and NO MAN HAD BEEN BEFORE! Well, at least that we could read about or study about back then or look up on C-D.

That independent streak of this line of famililes still runs thru the people that make up this great state as it is plainly evident even today. We are still bursting new frontiers but in different arenas be it technology, political (cough-cough ), enterprenuers, etc. Texans don't "settle" for less and don't just readily accept a "no" as an answer. We are brazen, tough, go-getters, don't let anyone run over us, don't like being taken advantage of but at the same time if we were ever in trouble we would want a Texan on our side anyday. We are there for our friends and family during a time of need without ever being asked to lend a hand........ we do. We are friendly, like to have fun, like to joke and carry on. There are many complex sides to a Texan. That is why a TRUE Texan can't be pigeon holed.

Old 12-23-2008, 02:59 PM

3,309 posts, read 5,774,143 times
Quote:
I lived in Highland Park for some years when I was a teenager. Me and my preacher's widow mother. Not a thing pretentious about us, and there were quite a few like us living there then. Just not what people see when they look at the surface of things.
Well, one of the state's best cafeterias (Highland Park Cafeteria) was there and now, thanks to a Mr. Jeff Snoyer, still is!

Old 12-23-2008, 04:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lonestar2007 View Post
I am NOT saying this applies only to Texans, we all know it does not, but I will say I think it is an attitude that is prevalent among Texans.
This is what mom meant about being independent. This is just about history to me which is great and good, but being independent in life covers a huge area. mom = The "independence" I'm referring to is how MOST Natives of Texas were raised by their families that came down thru the lines of the hard times they endured and how they ended up IN TEXAS!

I have your attitude, lonestar, as well. As a young adult, my dad used to say to me the very same thing, "You're so damn independent." I answered him back, "That's right. I believe that's how you raised me to be." I'm from CA, as we all know, so it definitely doesn't apply to any particular area. I know people in different states that are very independent and others that are very dependent on others. That goes for CA and TX as well as other areas of the country.

We obviously know when we see the welfare stats in different states that being dependent is rampant in this country. Being independent covers a very large area, not just that one wouldn't take crapola from another or something that was "made in history."

Old 12-23-2008, 04:09 PM

10,239 posts, read 19,610,755 times
Quote:
TexReb, I have yet to see any verifiably unbiased evidence that a "decided majority" does, or does not, consider Texas to be part of the South (as opposed to having some Southern influence along with all the rest of the influences).
Hi THL! To cut the rind to the melon, there is nothing that you will consider "verifiable" evidence that a majority of Texans consider themselves to live in the South and be Southerners.

As an aside here, I really don't want to fight about this...especially during the Christmas/Holiday season. BUT...since you went there, (and I mean this in a spirit of good will and fun, I hope you know), I will be brief. I have posted the data before. (good lord knows how I have). Seven years of surveys from the Center For The Studies of the American South.

Percent who say their community is in the South (percentage base in parentheses)

Alabama 98 (717) South Carolina 98 (553) Louisiana 97 (606) Mississippi 97 (431) Georgia 97 (1017) Tennessee 97 (838) North Carolina 93 (1292) Arkansas 92 (400) Florida 90 (1792) Texas 84 (2050) Virginia 82 (1014) Kentucky 79 (582) Oklahoma 69 (411)

West Virginia 45 (82) Maryland 40 (173) Missouri 23 (177) Delaware 14 (21) D.C. 7 (15)

Percent who say they are Southerners (percentage base in parentheses)

Mississippi 90 (432) Louisiana 89 (606) Alabama 88 (716) Tennessee 84 (838) South Carolina 82 (553) Arkansas 81 (399) Georgia 81 (1017) North Carolina 80 (1290) Texas 68 (2053) Kentucky 68 (584) Virginia 60 (1012) Oklahoma 53 (410) Florida 51 (1791)

Center for the Study of the American South

Another: From the Annals of the Association of American Geographers, In Vol. 7, Number 3 of this journal (September 1987), in the article Changing Usage of Four American Regional Labels, Professor James R. Shortridge (Department of Geography, University of Kansas) seeks, through a statistically random analysis of identification cards sent out with a product, to identify contemporary trends of regional self-identification in terms of the four labels “East”, “West”, “South”, and “Midwest.” Here is a ranked list in terms of percentage of people who chose “South” as their primary regional identification.

More than 75%: 1. Louisiana – 194/199 – 97.49% 2. Mississippi – 72/75 – 96% 3. Alabama – 122/130 – 93.85% 4. Florida – 244/277 – 88.09% 5. Georgia – 147/168 – 87.5% 6. Tennessee – 156/190 – 82.11%

More than 50%: 1. Arkansas – 56/77 – 72.73% 2. South Carolina – 66/91 – 72.53% 3. Texas – 526/739 – 71.18% 4. North Carolina – 87/145 – 60%

But no matter what is presented, you will just consider it "biased." And there is simply no way to argue with, nor dispute, that type of logic/dismisal. Never mind that you present nothing of your own to "(dis) prove" otherwise, nor address why the studies (not one, but several over many years) are flawed in application or methodology.

Bottom line is that you seem much more adamant that Texas in not part of the South than I am that it is. Your case always, really, comes to down that "Texas is not Southern" because I say it isn't. And that that settles the matter. That my (i.e. "your) own experience and observations ought to be good enough. Thus, if one disagrees with your own take? Then the one taking an opposing viewpoint are just not as well travelled nor astute...

Too, why does your position always have to be predicated on that those who disagree with you are by extension dismissing/disparaging the influence of other cultures? Why?

The main influence on Texas is -- historically and culturally --that of the historical South. That there were/are others is simply to note and be proud of part of Texas' unique and colorful history. Same as the French Cajun is in Louisiana. The Colonial in South Carolina. The proud and stubborn independence of the "Moutain South" of Tennessee. BUT..the migrating Southern influence is by far the dominant one in Texas. And is reflected in everything from the dialect to eating the black-eyed peas on New Years Day. Texas evolved into its own self (and I am proud of that) over time...but there are very few influences on Texas history/culture that not "Southern" in origin and roots.

Last edited by TexasReb; 12-23-2008 at 04:43 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas