Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-04-2008, 07:48 PM

4 posts, read 15,699 times

Advertisements

Husband is taking a job at VA in Big Spring. I've researched Big Spring and it doesn't sound too wonderful. We will need to rent a condo/house and wonder if we are going to find something decent in the $1200 range in the Midland area....or will we have more success finding a rental in Big Spring?? Also, when does it usually snow...January?? and how much snow? Any info that will perk my spirits up about this move will be greatly appreciated!

Last edited by Bo; 12-05-2008 at 08:50 AM.. Reason: Moved from El Paso forum.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-04-2008, 09:21 PM

1,506 posts, read 4,279,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuZQ View Post
Husband is taking a job at VA in Big Spring. I've researched Big Spring and it doesn't sound too wonderful. We will need to rent a condo/house and wonder if we are going to find something decent in the $1200 range in the Midland area....or will we have more success finding a rental in Big Spring?? Also, when does it usually snow...January?? and how much snow? Any info that will perk my spirits up about this move will be greatly appreciated!
My info may be a little out of date but I think $1200 a month will probably be what you could expect to pay for an average apartment in Midland. It would probably be much easier to find a place in Big Spring. Recently a large number of people went to Big Spring to rebuild the refinery after and explosion there. Now they are done and most have left so housing should be readily available.

The commute from Big Spring to Midland is long but not congested. If I had a job in Big Spring I would consider buying a lake house at Colorado City Lake. Its only about 30 miles from Big Spring and is right off the interstate.

I can snow anytime from about November to February but snow is infrequent. You might see and inch or two in good snowstorm but usually the snow melts away quickly.

Old 12-05-2008, 12:28 PM

3,028 posts, read 5,082,273 times
You can ask on here and get all kinds of information or you can go directly to city-data.com and under the states look up Texas then chose Midland. More information on there than anyone could even dream up to ask. Median rent is $684 per month.

Old 12-08-2008, 08:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark-Tyler is Special View Post
You can ask on here and get all kinds of information or you can go directly to city-data.com and under the states look up Texas then chose Midland. More information on there than anyone could even dream up to ask. Median rent is $684 per month.
Hi....guess I'm not doing something right.....I cannot find "Midland" under the heading of Texas.....can you guide me to the location? much thanks......

Old 12-08-2008, 09:21 AM

9,191 posts, read 21,871,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuZQ View Post
Hi....guess I'm not doing something right.....I cannot find "Midland" under the heading of Texas.....can you guide me to the location? much thanks......

http://www.city-data.com/city/Midland-Texas.html

Old 12-09-2008, 12:34 PM

1,506 posts, read 4,279,341 times
Sure enough the median rent is $684.00. I guess I spend to much time hanging out with the spendy crowd.

Old 12-14-2008, 06:36 AM

3 posts, read 10,249 times
Default Moving to Big Spring too

I'm also moving to Big Spring too next month and haven't found a place to live. I'm a little worried about the lack of rental information for that area.

Any insider tips on which places are great for rentals and any areas that I need to be wary of in walking my dogs?

Is Big Spring considered as a "pet friendly" town?

Thanks!

Old 12-16-2008, 09:17 PM

Default rentals in Big Spring

I have spoken to a couple of realtors in Big Spring and apparently rentals are extremely scarce. I think when we arrive in late January or early February, we'll focus on Midland and let the hubby commute to work at VA. We too have a dog and want to be able to walk the dog in safe, friendly areas.

Old 12-17-2008, 05:51 AM

189 posts, read 418,034 times
I lived in Big Spring in the 80's. I think if I had to go back, I'd commute from Midland. The rental options are limited and I doubt there's been much new built. There are nice parts of town that you could walk your dog in etc, but may not be many rentals there. Probably a lot of contractors in town due to the refinery rebuild. Midland has so much more shopping, dining etc. I remember taking dates all the way to MIdland to eat someplace different. The commute across on the interstate isn't too bad, boring, but you can drive 70. At leat gas isn't $4 anymore.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
View detailed profiles of: