Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: If you could live in any of the four, with the same standard of living, which one would you live in?
Dallas 60 22.47%
Houston 86 32.21%
San Antonio 48 17.98%
Austin 59 22.10%
None of the above 14 5.24%
Voters: 267. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-06-2010, 10:07 AM

Location: from houstoner to bostoner to new yorker to new jerseyite ;)
4,084 posts, read 12,687,192 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by OmShahi View Post
Another thing is, I highly dislike protests, and Austin is the ONLY place in Texas that I've seen college kids band together and protest in front of government buildings for whatever reason, that's one thing that sets it back and places it behind Houston, IMHO because whether they like it or not, the outcome isn't in their hands, and protesting won't do anything to change that.
That happens in Houston, too. Not as visible as in Austin, though, because Austin has UT and is smaller and better planned with more public spaces. But there are protests and vigils in Houston that the mainstream media doesn't report on. One resource is Houston Independent Media Center.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-06-2010, 04:56 PM

2,930 posts, read 5,274,022 times
Quote:
I'm going to take it that it was the "best time of your life"?
Yep, it was!

Old 05-06-2010, 08:49 PM

25,157 posts, read 53,959,965 times
Don't even go there. A lot of major colleges profile minorities and monitor them. You do not want to be known as the potential terrorist that they have to keep a hawk eye on. And I promise you the big uni in Austin does it

Quote:
Originally Posted by atxcio View Post
Wow, a college student who dislikes protests? Don't knock it til you've tried it. Protests and civil disobedience have a long and rich history in America, and in Austin especially.

Thinking along the lines of "Well, I can't really change anything, so why voice my opinion?" is a very defeatist mentality that will not serve you well in life. Those people you see out on the lakes and parks actually getting out and doing active things? I'd wager those are the same types of personalities that will show up for a protest when it is an issue important to them.

If people stop protesting, we might as well be China.

Old 05-06-2010, 08:52 PM

I couldn't stand the bubble life of college. It's like being trapped in a bubble fish bowl with drunks, bigots, racists, homophobes, sexually confused jerks, religious weirdos, and know-it-alls. lol. The real world is so much funner. More people. More ideas. More communities. More friends. Less arrogance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by C2H (ComingtoHouston) View Post
Man this makes me miss being college age. I can't believe 6 years has already passed since i graduated college!

Old 05-06-2010, 09:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by artsyguy View Post
I couldn't stand the bubble life of college. It's like being trapped in a bubble fish bowl with drunks, bigots, racists, homophobes, sexually confused jerks, religious weirdos, and know-it-alls. lol. The real world is so much funner. More people. More ideas. More communities. More friends. Less arrogance.
Not for me! Most of my friends moved away after college. I moved to Houston right after. You internet guys are my only friends now

Old 05-06-2010, 10:43 PM

Ugh. Some friends. They didn't even bother keeping in touch or visiting you.

Quote:
Not for me! Most of my friends moved away after college. I moved to Houston right after. You internet guys are my only friends now

Old 05-07-2010, 12:29 AM

5,615 posts, read 14,797,306 times
I hear Houston has more midcentury architecture than D/FW and almost anywhere has more than SA. Austin... complete traffic nightmare (moreso that Houston). So H-town gets my vote. Besides, I have more miles with CO than anyone else and with IAH in my back yard it would be easy to get away.

Old 05-09-2010, 06:27 PM

10,138 posts, read 16,058,371 times
Quote:
Haha! Even with all the differences you have with the other internet posters?

Quote:
Originally Posted by scuba steve View Post
I hear Houston has more midcentury architecture than D/FW and almost anywhere has more than SA. Austin... complete traffic nightmare (moreso that Houston). So H-town gets my vote. Besides, I have more miles with CO than anyone else and with IAH in my back yard it would be easy to get away.
You mean United, right? Continental is no more now.

Old 05-09-2010, 06:32 PM

Quote:
Haha! Even with all the differences you have with the other internet posters?
I don't have differences with the other posters, just the dallasites!

Old 05-09-2010, 06:47 PM

1,445 posts, read 3,269,092 times
No artsyguy, we are both wrong. No other Texas city has lakes or areas that resemble hillbilly country. No other Texas city has a university, and no other Texas city has a liberal population. Only Austin has places to party like 6th city and only Austin is wierd!! OMG

Dallas is the total and complete star of Texas. It mops the floor with every other city. Ok, not Houston, but every other major city in the state.

Quote:
Originally Posted by artsyguy View Post
Well the last time I checked there are lakes and universities in other parts of Texas. lol. Depending on the day you will see college kids doing community activities. Other days you will see hundreds of people enjoying the lakes. It's not exclusive to the all-wonderful Austin,Texass.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas