Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-17-2009, 03:57 PM

3,028 posts, read 5,085,037 times

Advertisements

After months of not commenting on the "Hate other cities" or Hate Houston theme, here goes. I moved to Houston from beautiful Tyler and spent 20 years in Houston. I have a Tyler comparison and NEVER thought of Houston as an "arm pit" or "chemical dump". I NEVER lived around the chemical areas - hardly knew they existed. I stayed Central City/Galleria area with trees, that reminded me of Dallas, that I like. Then lived in the Northern 1960 area with huge pine trees that reminded somewhat of Tyler and finally the nearer Western area up to Katy with trees and beautiful homes. All the areas were nice - Houston has almost any and everything most people could want to enjoy. Yeah, no snow, mountains. but I said almost everything - and for the most part the people were friendly, just my 2 1/2 cents worth.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2009, 04:00 PM

20,958 posts, read 45,404,950 times
What little there is in off-forum life (and there is a little) isn't so much hatred as more akin to sibling rivalry. Which explains why we can be so proud of our State and yet still give each other heck (but let anyone from elsewhere try it and see what they get!).

Old 08-17-2009, 04:00 PM

5,429 posts, read 14,844,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LAnative10 View Post
I still contend that Dallas and Houston are more alike than not.
Aside from their geographical location, most will probably agree.
It's really only a handful of people on city-data doing it... not like it's that widespread from what I've seen...

Old 08-17-2009, 04:07 PM

9,418 posts, read 13,497,989 times
Quote:
Thats the funny thing. Ever since Ive been here in Dallas, I have asked people about their opinions of Houston, Austin, and San Antonio. Ironically the only negative comments Ive heard are about Austin. Ive never heard anyone say anything bad about Houston or San Antonio.

I still contend that Dallas and Houston are more alike than not. Yet, Ive seen arguements where people get so worked up about which city has more trees and which one is more flat, etc. As if that matters.

Then that makes me wonder, why is it this way in City Data?
It's not just City Data, just the internet, as other's have said. I can't think of one place in Texas I "hate." Hate is such a strong word. As someone else mentioned, there are places where I'd rather not live for a variety of reasons...the northern suburbs of Dallas in my case, for instance, but I don't "hate" them.

Old 08-17-2009, 04:09 PM

13,384 posts, read 25,747,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AK123 View Post
Aside from their geographical location, most will probably agree.
It's really only a handful of people on city-data doing it... not like it's that widespread from what I've seen...
Even the population trends are the same. Both have almost exactly the same land area and populations that are very similar (MSA and CSA). Both are very international and diverse.

But its those similarities that people want to split hairs over. Houstonians want to split hairs just because the Metroplex has more people and Dallasites want to split hairs because Houston is more international etc.

Maybe in this case what people are afriad of is what it takes away from their city (credit). For example even though the DFW metroplex is bigger and growing slightly faster, the Houston MSA is still very big and is growing almost as fast. Also, even though Houston is more international and more diverse, Dallas is still an extremely international and diverse city.

Just because one is slightly more than another in any given catagory, doesnt mean the other isnt right up there with it even though its not quite all the way there.

Old 08-17-2009, 04:13 PM

5,429 posts, read 14,844,510 times
Quote:
Even the population trends are the same. Both have almost exactly the same land area and populations that are very similar (MSA and CSA). Both are very international and diverse.

But its those similarities that people want to split hairs over. Houstonians want to split hairs just because the Metroplex has more people and Dallasites want to split hairs because Houston is more international etc.

Maybe in this case what people are afriad of is what it takes away from their city (credit). For example even though the DFW metroplex is bigger and growing slightly faster, the Houston MSA is still very big and is growing almost as fast. Also, even though Houston is more international and more diverse, Dallas is still an extremely international and diverse city.

Just because one is slightly more than another in any given catagory, doesnt mean the other isnt right up there with it even though its not quite all the way there.
I know, and honestly, I am not one of those who really care.

The biggest difference is Houston is near the coast and Dallas is not.

Everything else is minor as far as I'm concerned.

Old 08-17-2009, 04:55 PM

1,506 posts, read 4,280,755 times
I think it is because we Texans are a passionate people, especially about our state.

Love and hate are similar in that they are both passions. The opposite of love is not hate, but rather apathy. So when comparing the cities of Texas opinions will usually manifest as love or as hate but rarely as apathy. This I believe is why there is an abundance of boosterism and bashing concerning the cities of Texas is this forum.

Old 08-17-2009, 06:02 PM

4,726 posts, read 11,979,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AK123 View Post
If you didn't visit somewhere, how can you know if you will/won't like it enough to want to visit? Just curious...

To answer that, in the case of Houston it's because I have been there and through there a few times, moving, travelling to other destinations, for a job interview, and years ago to go to a Dylan concert when he first started touring again; oh yeah, and years ago I had a couple of friends who lived there, so did get to see some nice areas, like around Rice University. However, Houston's size and its freeways are not for me (I don't much care for its flatness and humidity, either), so for many years now I've been totally disinterested in going back there for any reason.

Let's see, other places I haven't been to but wouldn't care to visit. How about Midland? I've lived in Lubbock, been through Amarillo many times, visited San Angelo. Why the hell would I want to visit Midland. I've a pretty good idea of what's there already. One could give many similar examples.

Old 08-17-2009, 07:50 PM

12,498 posts, read 26,994,162 times
Quote:
Most people Ive actually met in Dallas have little to say about anywhere South of Waco or East of Tyler.
Maybe because most Dallasites, such as yourself are transplants from the West Coast, Midwest, or Northeast & never venture beyond their own boundaries, or maybe its because there's no culture east of Dallas in Tyler. Which is it?

Old 08-17-2009, 09:35 PM

13,384 posts, read 25,747,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metro Matt View Post
Maybe because most Dallasites, such as yourself are transplants from the West Coast, Midwest, or Northeast & never venture beyond their own boundaries, or maybe its because there's no culture east of Dallas in Tyler. Which is it?
So my problem is that I wasnt from Texas to begin with?

And what I was trying to say is that the people Ive talked to havent said anything bad or good about the area that far outside of Dallas. So no one has come out and trashed anything.

Who said anything about there being no culture in Tyler? East Texas has its own culutre thats unique in its own right.

Whats wrong with being a transplant from the West Coast? Just because Im not going to become a Texan in my mentality? I dont have nearly as much pride for California as you guys do for Texas. Not a whole lot of Californians do. We love our state and are very proud of it, but stop short of pride.

Yes Dallas is full of transplants from other states. So are Houston, Austin, San Antonio, and other places here.

What, are we making Texas more diluted and ruining the way things are? If we didnt "venture beyond our boundries" do you think for one moment I would be in a place thats the complete opposite of everything I knew for most of my life (save 2 years)?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas