Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-26-2013, 11:42 PM

5,673 posts, read 7,454,419 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasTallest View Post
im not sure what berter is, but assuming you mean better.. yes, its nice to be able to explain your opinion. dont know what the "dang" was all about though. i was barely even taking a shot at Dallas with the exception of maybe one line.
yeah the "berter" was a typo....and no I wasn't implying that you was taking shots at Dallas ..I was sayin "dang" because I can just picture you running out of breath saying all that at once..lol...naw but its fun playing with you.

Old 07-26-2013, 11:43 PM

3,231 posts, read 4,565,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dallasboi View Post
yeah the "berter" was a typo....and no I wasn't implying that you was taking shots at Dallas ..I was sayin "dang" because I can just picture you running out of breath saying all that at once..lol...naw but its fun playing with you.
lol, sorry i type a lot when i feel like i have to explain myself. just come down to Houston again some weekend and venture into downtown.. its really quite different from when you lived here.

Old 07-26-2013, 11:48 PM

Quote:
lol, sorry i type a lot when i feel like i have to explain myself. just come down to Houston again some weekend and venture into downtown.. its really quite different from when you lived here.
I go to Houston often..I was just there a couple of months ago.

Old 07-26-2013, 11:50 PM

Quote:
I go to Houston often..I was just there a couple of months ago.
and were you out around any of the popular downtown destinations at night on the weekend? if you were you should have noticed its changed quite a bit.

Old 07-27-2013, 01:04 AM

Quote:
and were you out around any of the popular downtown destinations at night on the weekend? if you were you should have noticed its changed quite a bit.
We drove around quite a bit...we did drive through downtown but it was in the morning on the way back to Dallas on a Sunday . I wanted to see discovery green in person.

Old 07-27-2013, 01:35 AM

6,695 posts, read 9,950,228 times
Quote:
how does Houston having so much office space demand downtown that we have to build new residential buildings instead of renovating old ones prove your point about vibrancy and pedestrian activity? if anything it shows that downtown Dallas is so crappy that the corporations are moving out to the suburbs. like weve been saying.. wait till the 3 new light rail lines open over the next year and the thousands of new residential units open up and are moved into... not to mention all of the new bars and restaurants coming downtown.. downtown will be a completely different place in a couple years. its already a completely different place than it was just a few years ago. you may not of been here to see it, but its certainly changing for the better, especially compared to when you lived in Houston.
as for underground tunnels, most major cities have them. the difference between Houston and those other cities is that the other cities have subways running through them instead of walkways. were working on bringing the tunnels up to street level, just as the subway station entrances/exits do when they come up to street level. and as many people have pointed out the tunnels close after business hours, so the real street pedestrian activity happens at night, which is when most of the activities outside of work are happening anyways.
im with JKA, could we stop talking about pedestrian activity in a skyline thread? because Dallas is severely behind Houston in skyline, Dallasites are jumping to new topics that Dallas may or may not be better at. its really quite pathetic. just admit Houston is better and move on. you can start your own "fluff" threads about other stuff, like pretentiousness and colorful bright lights.
That has nothing to do with Downtown being crappy. Companies like suburban style campuses. A lot of the major companies in America have them. If I could build a state of the art campus style HQ, I would too.

ExxonMobil is a prime example

Even when we are talking in the Houston vs Dallas thread the Houston skyline always comes up. Houston has no answer to Uptown Dallas' vibrancy and walkablity.

Old 07-27-2013, 04:45 AM

9,221 posts, read 15,958,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dallaz View Post
That has nothing to do with Downtown being crappy. Companies like suburban style campuses. A lot of the major companies in America have them. If I could build a state of the art campus style HQ, I would too.

ExxonMobil is a prime example

Even when we are talking in the Houston vs Dallas thread the Houston skyline always comes up. Houston has no answer to Uptown Dallas' vibrancy and walkablity.
No, suburban style campuses are becoming out of style, like what Exxon built.. Exxon is just going against the trend. Companies nowadays seem to be coming back to the core areas. Yuppies don't want to live in The Woodlands or some other far flung suburb. Many companies are now leaving their suburban campuses. And Uptown Dallas is so tiny, it won't be long before Midtown, Upper Kirby, etc. match it. If I could build a state of the art suburban style hq, I wouldn't. Give me the 800+ footer that Chevron, or the new tower Apache is building over some secluded campus.

Old 07-27-2013, 08:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trae713 View Post
No, suburban style campuses are becoming out of style, like what Exxon built.. Exxon is just going against the trend. Companies nowadays seem to be coming back to the core areas. Yuppies don't want to live in The Woodlands or some other far flung suburb. Many companies are now leaving their suburban campuses. And Uptown Dallas is so tiny, it won't be long before Midtown, Upper Kirby, etc. match it. If I could build a state of the art suburban style hq, I wouldn't. Give me the 800+ footer that Chevron, or the new tower Apache is building over some secluded campus.
I couldn't of said it better myself.
Uptown Dallas is tiny compared to most places in Houston, and that is your only walkable district. Houston was voted the most walkable city (overall) in Texas. I would rather have the most walkable city than one couple square mile walkable district. If the proposed east end streetcar gets built that area will be very walkable, extending the "last mile" range around the light rail lines.

Old 07-27-2013, 09:34 AM

12,498 posts, read 26,998,067 times
Uptown Dallas is smaller than the Texas Medical Center. Both are about as dense.

Last edited by Metro Matt; 07-27-2013 at 09:56 AM..

Old 07-27-2013, 10:51 AM

2,930 posts, read 5,272,792 times
Quote:
Its more vibrant than houstons tho...Look houston is the bigger city with more buildings and Taller ones at that...But Im sorry DTDallas is more vibrant..And I know your not gonna admit to it but it just is....
The only big thing that Dallas may "seem" more vibrant than downtown Houston is the bright glitzy, colorful lighting they use as opposed to Houston's calmer and subtle lighting. But the pedestrian activity is really the same.

Unless you're including Uptown Dallas in your claim, then i can agree with you. But the notch can go up too when including Midtown Houston.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas