Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-29-2013, 02:58 PM

581 posts, read 924,690 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasTallest View Post
There have been plenty of posts recently about the activity around downtown, especially market square, after 9pm.. Kids running around playing in the park and bars/restaurants hoppin.. I just figured most of the assumed to be office workers that were out today would of been using the tunnel system.
What's with all your weak shots at Houston today Binkyman? Just another pretentious Dallasite?
There ain't nothing vibrant in Texas outside of beds in motels that cost a quarter. So, it ain't weak shots just about Houston. Whoever invented the word vibrant should be shot, buried, dug back up, and burned.

Old 07-29-2013, 03:02 PM

581 posts, read 924,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JaySwelly View Post
I'm not sure how I feel about Houston skyline. It just seems bland and stretches on for far too long. But I will say that overall it is better than Dallas. I do like the variety of buildings in Dallas' skyline, but Houston wins for strength and size.
I have heard that girth is more preferable than length. Concerning width, the Dallas skyline doesn't quit and just as soon as a few of those forty to fifty story towers get built in Uptown as planned, it will look even more impressive.

Old 07-29-2013, 03:08 PM

3,231 posts, read 4,565,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by binkyman View Post
Regarding perception, it doesn't matter how tall the skyscrapers are. Downtown looks twice as big as downtown Houston. it isn't really twice as big though. It is twice as wide however. And there are over seven thousand hotel rooms in downtown Dallas. Even more hotels in Uptown and out along the Stemmons Corridor. Just the hotels alone would create a sizable downtown.

It really is surprising that a massive high rise development would be built like that north of downtown Houston in the middle of a large ghetto. But then I saw all those massive walls built up along the sides of it to protect the inner inhabitants. Could you print the name of that development again but this time in Spanish?

Gracias.
LOLOL, downtown Dallas looks twice as big as downtown Houston, and is twice as wide? What have you been smoking? You have a few more hotels.. Congrats. One could make the claim that Houston's downtown would still be larger than Dallas' if Houston's downtown were only offices.. Whoopie...

There you go again with the weak shots..

Old 07-29-2013, 03:17 PM

16,508 posts, read 26,319,530 times
Quote:
There ain't nothing vibrant in Texas outside of beds in motels that cost a quarter. So, it ain't weak shots just about Houston. Whoever invented the word vibrant should be shot, buried, dug back up, and burned.
Vibrant isn't the best word to describe Texas, especially Houston.

Old 07-29-2013, 05:43 PM

1,807 posts, read 2,970,576 times
Downtown Houston and Dallas are ghost towns compared to San Antonio and Austin. Both are quite pathetic after 5pm. Gotta love your urban sprawl! Such spectacular cities!

Old 07-29-2013, 06:01 PM

6,697 posts, read 9,950,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXEX06 View Post
Downtown Houston and Dallas are ghost towns compared to San Antonio and Austin. Both are quite pathetic after 5pm. Gotta love your urban sprawl! Such spectacular cities!
Your urban sprawl?? San Antonio has tourists and Austin is a college town, that has a lot to do with the vibrancy. BTW Houston's and Dallas' Downtown are larger than Austin's and San Antonio's Downtown. BTW San Antonio and Austin are not even as urban like Dallas and Houston. Dallas County alone has a larger population than the Metro population of Austin and San Antonio.

Last edited by Dallaz; 07-29-2013 at 06:10 PM..

Old 07-29-2013, 06:05 PM

3,231 posts, read 4,565,614 times
Quote:
I have heard that girth is more preferable than length. Concerning width, the Dallas skyline doesn't quit and just as soon as a few of those forty to fifty story towers get built in Uptown as planned, it will look even more impressive.
I keep hearing about 40 and 50 story towers in Dallas but nothing has happened, unlike Houston where we continue to build more 40 and 50 story buildings..

Old 07-29-2013, 06:10 PM

6,697 posts, read 9,950,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasTallest View Post
I keep hearing about 40 and 50 story towers in Dallas but nothing has happened, unlike Houston where we continue to build more 40 and 50 story buildings..
That's nice....we don't need thoses type of buildings. We need to continue the density that's going on in Uptown with the many high-rises that are planned/under construction.

Old 07-29-2013, 06:22 PM

1,807 posts, read 2,970,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dallaz View Post
Your urban sprawl?? San Antonio has tourists and Austin is a college town, that has a lot to do with the vibrancy. BTW Houston's and Dallas' Downtown are larger than Austin's and San Antonio's Downtown.
San Antonio and Austin are both full of urban sprawl, just like every Texas city. Texas has so much land, why not just bulldoze it and put up strip malls and tract houses right?

Austin and San Antonio are doing good jobs of attracting locals to live in the downtown area. Also, both cities attract locals from the burbs to visit downtown. My wifes family lives in the Heights of Houston and haven't been downtown in years. Just my observations though. But, you can visit either downtown tonight and see for yourself. Time to drink cocktails at Ocho with my neighbors!

Old 07-29-2013, 06:36 PM

9,221 posts, read 15,958,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXEX06 View Post
San Antonio and Austin are both full of urban sprawl, just like every Texas city. Texas has so much land, why not just bulldoze it and put up strip malls and tract houses right?

Austin and San Antonio are doing good jobs of attracting locals to live in the downtown area. Also, both cities attract locals from the burbs to visit downtown. My wifes family lives in the Heights of Houston and haven't been downtown in years. Just my observations though. But, you can visit either downtown tonight and see for yourself. Time to drink cocktails at Ocho with my neighbors!
No doubt Austin and SA have done a better job of having people downtown, but Houston and Dallas have changed a lot in the past 15 years. Besides, Houston and Dallas have much larger cores than Austin and sa. There are more places to go than downtown.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas