Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-01-2009, 11:42 AM

4 posts, read 6,482 times

Advertisements

My husband and I will both be retired with in 2-3 years and are considering the hill country as a retirement locale. We want at least .5 acres, one-story house, on a lake, river, or creek, about 2200-3000 sq feet of living space....Have read most of the forums, but having a hard time determining where to look...like everyone else, we want the solitude of rural life, but want to be close to amenities like concerts, plays, movies, music lessons, libraries, historical and genealogical societies...don't care about shopping as I do most of that online. Can anyone help me out?

Thanks, Overwhelmed in CA
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-01-2009, 12:58 PM

1,148 posts, read 2,780,143 times
Dripping Springs area is a reasonable drive into town and has homes on rural lots.

Old 11-02-2009, 05:56 PM

4,062 posts, read 5,644,222 times
Well, maybe you could move somewhere west of Austin. But be sure that there is a plentiful supply of water. Even if you live on or near water, that doesn't mean drought can't seriously affect the area. If there is water that comes from a well, that doesn't mean that the well won't go dry someday. We just went through the worst drought on record in my area. Also, many times developers buy up Hill Country ranches or land, then go in with bulldozers, destroy almost everything that made the area unique and beautiful, then divide it into lots that are much too small. Too much density can destroy a lot of worthwhile places. Water supplies inadequate for the future? Not their problem! Water supply not drinkable? Put in a small treatment plant, then dump the crappy effluent into a creek! Old narrow country roads not able to handle lots of cars? Not their problem! Sorry...one of those unethical developers wants to put 2600 houses on little bitty lots , plus a golf course, businesses and a hotel, etc. onto 1766 acres next to our area. I just hope that either pending lawsuits or the economy can keep them out of here! So try to find a place that isn't a big problem like that.

Old 11-02-2009, 10:03 PM

3,555 posts, read 7,848,653 times
I'd suggest you check out the Marble Falls/Horseshoe Bay area. Close to Austin but also has a great community theatre, and Harmony School For the Performing Arts in MF. MF High School also has a great music director that came on board a few years ago and reinvigorated that program. IIRC they went from about 15 kids in choir to about 130 in a year or two.

Be forewarned though about houses and other expenses in TX (one of the things that drove us out), prices looks relatively cheap compared to (priort to the crash) prices in CA but homeowner's insurance rates (not regulated by the state) are killer as are property taxes and electric and other utilities.

We enjoyed the time we spent in the hill country but traded UP to Colorado. More house for about the same money, property taxes are 1/3 and homeowner's insurance about 1/3 of TX. Our monthly combined bill for WATER, ELECTRICITY AND TRASH COLLECTION (all city in our town) here is LESS THAN our water bill was in TX.

golfgod

Old 11-03-2009, 04:29 PM

4 posts, read 6,482 times
Befriend: Thanks for the information. Not sure how much worse property taxes can be than where we live, but I will look into it. Ditto on the Water, elec., etc.

Old 11-04-2009, 11:49 AM

13,714 posts, read 31,169,560 times
There are several good places to consider.

Spicewood, Briarcliff, Marble Falls, Dripping Springs, Wimberly are just a few that may have some or all of what you are looking for. Other areas north of San Antonio could be options too.

Burnet is a bit further out and may not have enough of what you want but Lake Buchanan is nearby and it is a growing area.

Property taxes in most of these communities will be in the range of 2-2.5% of appraised value.

My home has well water and we had no water problems after the worst drought in many many years. Your mileage may vary. The good thing about this drought is that it tested many things. If you buy an existing property that held up water wise - that's a good proof point.

Old 11-04-2009, 11:51 AM

13,714 posts, read 31,169,560 times
You might use Google Earth or Virtual Earth to get a satellite view of the areas.

The lakes in the Hill Country include the Highland Lakes (Buchanan, Inks, Marble Falls, LBJ, Travis, Austin, Lady Bird ("Town Lake")), Canyon, Medina, and a few others.

Rivers include the Guadalupe, Pedernales, Llano, San Saba, Colorado, and I'm sure several more.

Old 11-05-2009, 07:54 AM
rwr

268 posts, read 612,021 times
Default Look @ Leakey/Camp Wood/Vanderpool area

My wife and I are building our retirement home/cabin off Ranch Road 337 between Leakey and Camp Wood. Land cost the farther you get from San Antonio and Austin is more reasonable, scenery is fantastic, wildlife everywhere, Nueces and Frio rivers to play in, solitude, approx. 2 hrs. from San Antonio, elevation 2200 ft., people are really friendly. If this interests you Google Leakey,Texas for more info. God Bless.

Old 11-05-2009, 08:57 AM

7,244 posts, read 21,806,338 times
You have not mentioned price range as that's going to dictate everything. Lake properties are very expensive, especially for 1 story at the size you're wanting. It takes more land to build out rather than up for the sqft.

Can you narrow down price, like up to $500k or under $1M or something?

Old 11-05-2009, 03:02 PM

52,687 posts, read 47,946,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boxercircle View Post
My husband and I will both be retired with in 2-3 years and are considering the hill country as a retirement locale. We want at least .5 acres, one-story house, on a lake, river, or creek, about 2200-3000 sq feet of living space....Have read most of the forums, but having a hard time determining where to look...like everyone else, we want the solitude of rural life, but want to be close to amenities like concerts, plays, movies, music lessons, libraries, historical and genealogical societies...don't care about shopping as I do most of that online. Can anyone help me out?

Thanks, Overwhelmed in CA

Amid all the responses, I think you're picking a good area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas