Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-27-2017, 10:00 AM

4,716 posts, read 8,581,384 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivory Lee Spurlock View Post
Amarillo has better songs written about it than Lubbock does.
"Amarillo" is the first song on Emmylou Harris's 2nd album "Elite Hotel". I believe that album won a Grammy for best country album in 1976. https://youtu.be/l6uCsgmB1H4

George Strait had a hit record with "Amarillo By Morning".

The only song I can think of that's about Lubbock is the Mac Davis song from the late 70's, "I thought Happiness was Lubbock, Texas In My Rear-View Mirror".

I always thought that Lubbock should have one of the best music scenes in Texas, considering it has a large university and it's been home to Roy Orbison, Buddy Holly, Waylon Jennings, Jimmy Dale Gilmore, Joe Ely, Butch Hancock, they all came from around Lubbock.
I believe the story goes that Buddy Holly was planning to open up a record label in Lubbock before he died. It's fascinating to me to think where Lubbock would be and what American music would be like if that had happened. Because of the cheap cost of living and large young population, Lubbock does have a much better music and arts scene than you'd expect for its size.

As for the thread topic, definitely Lubbock. Cleaner, bigger, more culture, better schools, better hospitals, isn't down-wind from feed lots, doesn't look and feel like the world's biggest truck stop.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas