Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Toledo
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-24-2012, 09:33 AM

180 posts, read 341,610 times

Advertisements

Metropark plans advance downtown - Toledo Blade

Yet another new plan for downtown! They don't specify a whole lot about its boundaries, other than the river, the bridge, and the rail yards. That side of the High Level bridge has long been sort of the forgotten area of downtown Toledo, so I'm very happy to see something like this going on there. And as they mention in the article, Toledo has done a very poor job of utilizing our riverfront, and this is yet another great stride forward to go along with the others we've seen lately. (Marina District, Promenade Park, Steam Plant being others)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2012, 08:53 PM

896 posts, read 1,853,830 times
Im excited for this. This will boost the desirability of living in this very underdeveloped area (Warehouse District, across Swan Creek). It seems to me like theres big potential for this particular area. It feels extra gritty over there. I wouldnt expect it to take off for awhile, but theres already key assets in place, like the creek itself, the train station, and the Oliver House. This park will give future residents of this area access to the waterfront and to green space. Hopefully the park will spur development more in the neighborhood. I also think they should connect the park with Promenade Park, if possible (not sure if thats part of the plan).

Old 05-06-2012, 06:08 PM

911 posts, read 2,599,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johio83 View Post
ace, no, this wouldn't be "low income" housing, so to speak. Well, not in that way, anyway. I think you're referring to Section 8 housing, where they basically subsidize the rent for low income tenants who wouldn't normally be able to afford it. This, however, would be cheap stuff for people that can afford to pay their own way. While I have no problem with the idea behind Section 8, as everyone has needed a helping hand at some point in their life, I hate that it exists in the center of a downtown that is trying to get back on its feet. The only way to get downtown rolling again is to have it filled with people who can help drive it economically, not people who can't support themselves. Again, no problem with Section 8, but it shouldn't be in the heart of downtown.

And as for the Berdan Building, looks like things won't be going anywhere with the current proposal, which I'm fine with. It wasn't a good plan. Toledo has stuck its neck out several times before on high-risk plans like this in the past and gotten burned on a few of them. We're still paying millions a year to cover those failures that we were stuck with the bill with when the plan went south and the developers bailed. This looked like a good candidate to be another one of those. The Fiberglas Tower project is a good example of one that works - they are covering about a third of the investment on their own. For a project like this, that's a huge amount of equity, and a very good sign that they are committed to this and won't be backing out if things begin to look less than rosey.

technically im low rent since im paying for them to live for next to nothing. and then if i go downtown and apply for the lasalle's or the perry apartments.....i dont make enough...... just really odd i have a job and sometimes i cant qualify for things

Old 05-07-2012, 10:21 AM

There's a new coffee shop opening. Bleak House Coffee. It's in the Spitzer Bldg on Madison St. Im happy about this. Just hope they have decent hours.

Old 05-10-2012, 02:47 AM

4,692 posts, read 9,036,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tobias C View Post
There's a new coffee shop opening. Bleak House Coffee. It's in the Spitzer Bldg on Madison St. Im happy about this. Just hope they have decent hours.
Me too. Downtown needs a coffee shop that is open until evening hours (8-10pm would be great, although it is wishful thinking).

Old 05-10-2012, 07:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alleghenyangel View Post
Me too. Downtown needs a coffee shop that is open until evening hours (8-10pm would be great, although it is wishful thinking).

Starbucks at Westgate used to stay open til 1am on Friday and Saturday and would still be full of people at 1. It would be great to have a local place open really late. The only place I know of is The Oasis by UT, and its open til 3am, but full of dumb drunk kids. Maxwells is open til 11 or midnight, and they have to kick people out. They have a patio for hookahs, and live music often.

I think what I really want is a place thats comfortable to hang out at late at night, where you don't have to be drinking to enjoy yourself. I might be weird, but I like the idea of going somewhere and playing board games and drinking coffee late at night.

Old 05-10-2012, 11:25 AM

6,601 posts, read 8,982,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tobias C View Post
Starbucks at Westgate used to stay open til 1am on Friday and Saturday and would still be full of people at 1. It would be great to have a local place open really late. The only place I know of is The Oasis by UT, and its open til 3am, but full of dumb drunk kids. Maxwells is open til 11 or midnight, and they have to kick people out. They have a patio for hookahs, and live music often.

I think what I really want is a place thats comfortable to hang out at late at night, where you don't have to be drinking to enjoy yourself. I might be weird, but I like the idea of going somewhere and playing board games and drinking coffee late at night.
Toledo is extremely lacking in late night entertainment if you don't want to drink or be around drinking. Sometimes it feels like Big Boy, Waffle House, Wal*Mart, and Meijer are the only options.

Heck, even if you do want to drink it's somewhat lacking since it feels like designated/drunk driving is your only option for most places.

Old 05-11-2012, 07:50 AM

Ceremony at Middlegrounds points to inspired future for riverfront | Toledo Newspaper

Great article from the Free Press about the metropark. Sheds some light on a few elements the park will have (observation deck, pier, pavilion, etc), and recaps the positive things going on in downtown along the waterfront.

Old 05-11-2012, 04:07 PM

Hearing not-so-good rumors... When I kept saying that you don't look a gift horse in the mouth, and when somebody offers you a lot of money to develop land nobody else was touching, you say "thank you, how can we help?"...

Old 05-15-2012, 06:45 AM

http://www.13abc.com/story/18385132/...t-construction

Alright, my source was a little more negative than this article, so hopefully he was just in a doom-and-gloom kind of mood. Hopefully this article is more on-point. His message was more along the lines of Dashing Pacific having a change of heart after not being able to secure tenants, and now second guessing whether a project like this is feasible in Toledo, Ohio.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Toledo