Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Toledo
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-27-2009, 03:21 AM

78 posts, read 353,751 times

Advertisements

Is it really that bad? In my opinion, yes.

Being a lifelong native, its done nothing but gone downhill over the years.

Crime is 2-3 times the national average-- just check it out on the info part of this website. Having been a victim myself and seeing various things happen to other people, its pretty sad.

Its cheap to live here. Yes, that is if you can find a job, and a house in a good neighborhood where you wont have to constantly worry about your safety. There is a reason its cheap, this is not a desirable city.

Not much to do here either. That depends alot on the particular person, but its very flat, not too many attractions, and the ones that are here you can do once, and you get that "been there done that" feeling.

I have been trying to move out of here for some time, but Toledo's especially crappy economy along with the downturn in the rest of the country, has prevented it so far...but every day is a new day. Getting a job elsewhere is one thing, but that depends on your current situation, having the money to move out is another question, especially if its a considerable distance.

I wouldnt recommend this area to my worst enemy, in all honesty. It seems the job market has improved alittle, can remember seeing only 8 jobs listed in the Blade not too long ago. Today's Sunday paper was a bit better, but compared to many other areas, jobs are super scarce.

You cant even go to a nice restaurant here without some meathead OSU fan screaming at the TV....the length people will go to here to scream about OSU is amazing...never seen so many crazy people...just annoying for those of us who could care less about it. That said there is not much else to do besides devote your life to OSU along with the rest of Ohio.

Stores/restaurants here are big chains...Rite Aid and a Wahlgreens on every corner, how many sick people are there in this town to support that many pharmacies, must be tons!!! Not many small restaurants, nor small buisnesses for that matter....its been overtaken by Wal-Mart type outfits for the most part.

Crappy weather, long, cold winters, junk roads, goofball mayor, high crime, little to do, no jobs, welcome to Toledo!

Toledo lovers, flame me if you must...but this area is for the birds. On my way out ASAP, 3 years running!!

Last edited by Daytrepper; 07-27-2009 at 03:32 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2009, 07:13 AM

3,969 posts, read 8,504,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daytrepper View Post
You cant even go to a nice restaurant here without some meathead OSU fan screaming at the TV....
Nice restaurants have TVs????

Quote:
On my way out ASAP, 3 years running!!
If you really want out that bad, you can find a way. You might have to take a job in some other field for starters, but as an example, if you were to move to an area with a large number of retirees in condos, such as Florida, you could possibly find a job with a landscape company while you look for something in your field. It just depends on your priorities.

Old 07-27-2009, 07:38 AM

758 posts, read 2,889,700 times
Toledo has a ton of chain restaurants for sure...but if you think there are no smaller, local places then you really don't look very hard.

Toledo is full of awesome restaurants of all types of cuisine. There isn't a whole lot I miss about Toledo but the food is definitely one of them. Whenever I go home it's a rush to try and get in as much food from my favorite places as possible in the time I have.

Quote:

Old 07-27-2009, 07:47 AM

5,160 posts, read 9,173,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Traveler87 View Post
Toledo has a great mayor,
If it's still Finkwhiner, I disagree.

I am from Toledo. I moved away about two years ago. I can't really speak on it much because my friend who still lives there said it has changed a lot.

Old 07-27-2009, 09:09 AM

2,501 posts, read 7,765,677 times
"Nice restaurants have TVs????"

Love it!!! Great comeback!

Old 08-17-2009, 01:47 PM

26,142 posts, read 31,189,782 times
Toledoans have a very short attention span and entertainment places tend to last 3 months tops then they are deserted. I give the town credit for trying but its social endevours fall very short.

Old 08-21-2009, 08:37 PM

4,861 posts, read 9,311,760 times
Ya, it is pretty bad in most areas. STAY IN CINCY!!!!!

Old 08-25-2009, 05:42 AM

78 posts, read 353,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rrtechno View Post
Haha...I'll give that one to you ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrtechno
If you really want out that bad, you can find a way. You might have to take a job in some other field for starters, but as an example, if you were to move to an area with a large number of retirees in condos, such as Florida, you could possibly find a job with a landscape company while you look for something in your field. It just depends on your priorities.
I may do exactly that. I am looking in other areas out of state in a previous field that I was in for 8 years, for which the demand looks much better than the current field I am in (auto industry hehe). It wont necessarily be a step backward, more of a step sideways, as long as I can find a position that will match where i left off, if not better. Have some toys up for sale to fund the move, so hopefully things work out. They will eventually.

Old 09-07-2009, 07:59 AM

37 posts, read 87,527 times
Default Toledo

I am a newbie on this forum......and I have just finished browsing the posts on this particular thread. As a (mostly) life-long resident of NW Ohio (living in Toledo more half my 61 years) I feel compelled to add a few comments.

The Good Stuff (National Stage)
Toledo gets some decent press. Many of you have already mentioned the Art Museum (in the Top 10 by many ranking services), the Zoo (considered America's "most complete" zoo), Tony Packo's (famous a number of years ago due to numerous mentions on MASH), Fifth Third Field (rated as the "best minor league venue"), and Oak Openings Metropark (listed as one of the best natural areas in the states). These are the places that you would take your family if they came to visit. Toledo also regularly "claims" Cedar Point (world's leader in roller coasters!), even though Cleveland could, by virtue of mileage, make the same claim.

Toledo grabs national coverage for the number of solar energy companies that are operating.....and more are being considered. The largest automobile-related plants within the city limits get high reviews for productivity (GM Powertrain, on the oft-mentioned Alexis Road) and the huge Chrysler (Fiat) Assembly Plant, one of the world's newest and most-productive vehicle assembly facilities.

The Western Basin of Lake Erie is an incredible fishery and is a constant in the national press. The area is called "The Walleye Capitol Of The World"....and as a boat owner for years I will vouch for that. The lake is also filled with yellow perch (yum!) and the small-mouth bass fishing around the Lake Erie Islands is rated among the best.

The Bad Stuff (National Stage)
Crime statistics can tell a story.....but so can the perceptions, "gut feelings"......and the real deal of violence that hits home. There are some bad neighborhoods in Toledo. A few months ago one of my employees' was shot twice, in a central city gas station robbery. Earlier this year, the son of another employee was murdered in a gang-related shooting. An employee of a company my company has a relationship with was killed earlier this year......riding his bicycle to work work (during the high gasoline cost period).

Toledo's mayor has contributed to "national stage bad stuff". He is a fellow with immense pride in his community but his actions usually involve the words stumbling, bumbling, embarassing, yadda. Plant closing, layoffs.....Toledo is certainly one of the "national stage" locales. For years the city proclaimed that it was "the automobile parts capitol of the world". That is probably not the case now, as many smaller "feeder" companies have bit the dust.

Toledo's airport is a gem......if you like parking within a hundred yards of the terminal....and the terminal is about the size of a high school auditorium. It has never been a large airport, and in the days of cheap airline fares (and airlines that could make a profit!) there were many good flights out of Toledo Express Airport. Toledo's airport is no different than many smaller airports.....not enough passengers to fill a bigger (more efficient) airplane.

Toledo Express was mentioned in a national article. In addition to discussing the elimination of flights at numerous smaller airports the article mentioned Toledo's proximity to Metro Airport in suburban Detroit. That huge facility is less than an hour's motor away.

Side-note: The airport also hosts a huge BAX Global Distribution Center (Sort Hub), with over a thousand employees. At the other end of some of the longest runways in the states is a large Air National Guard facility, with more than 1000 employees.

Education
Metropolitan Toledo is (rightly so) proud of their two major universities, The University of Toledo and Bowling Green State University. Both schools continue to win acclaim (and awards of distinction) for specific focuses related to their missions. Ohio's largest community college, Owens, is in a suburb. Lourdes College (in another suburb) has gained a superb reputation for its' strong focus on building character.

Some of the suburban school districts have scored high marks in their education process. However, the Toledo Public Schools have many challenges. With solid state funding, TPS has built a number of new schools and (as viewed by this outsider) tried very hard to improve their lot in educational life.

TPS has a problem that is not mentioned often. It is called Washington Township. All that remains of this once very large suburban township are a couple small tracts of homes in the northern portion of the county (near Lake Erie). Because these small township tracts remain, the township was able to keep its' own school system.....Washington Local School District. This district (with flagship Whitmer High.....my school!) is one of the largest in the state. Almost all of the district is within the corporate boundaries of Toledo. If those households were in TPS, the numbers (because of the demographics of Washington LSD) would be quite different.....and probably better.

Toledo & The Suburbs
Only a few of the Top 100 USA Metropolitan Areas have as large a percentage of people living in the central core city as Toledo. What does that mean? The outer edges of the city (not the suburbs) all resemble suburbs. Most have a 1950s thru 1970s look and feel. IMO that is one of the reasons that Toledo ranks "better" in some of the statistical categories. These suburb-like neighborhoods have lower crime rates, are well-kept and generally clean, and have higher family incomes (especially in the disposable income category)

When you do cross-over into the suburbs, here's a taste of what you will find.....

Oregon - Working class near its' boundaries with the eastern neighborhoods of Toledo. Oil refineries, a mix of old and new industry, heavy sprawl (Navarre Avenue, Woodville Road). Also is the location of Woodville Mall, another shopping facility that is on death's door. The eastern half of Oregon is agricultural, and has a wonderful state park, Maumee Bay. Maumee Bay State Park is loaded with fun stuff to do, including a huge lodge, rental cottages, beaches, camping, hiking, birding.

Rossford - You can see downtown Toledo from Rossford. Nice little community, with a mix of demographics. The estate area (The Colony) along the Maumee River has some astounding homes (and views).

Perrysburg - One of the older communities, this once-sleepy burg has blossomed into one of Toledo's premier suburbs. The disposable income is high, numerous new shopping areas have sprung up, the central business district has retained its' charm......a nice place. Speaking of shopping areas......Levis Commons (in Perrysburg) has gained national stage attention as one of the best examples of the trend in "lifestyle centers".

Northwood - Geographically a long and skinny suburb. This community (with no real downtown) is filled with industry.....some old.....but mostly newer industry.

The above 'burbs are on the east side of the Maumee River. The new group is on the west side of the river.....

Maumee - Inner-ring suburb with a mixture of older pre-war homes and newer subdivisions. The city assisted in the creation of a large and very successful business park. The CBD is very nice, especially during the holidays. Good bar, too - Dale's.

Holland - Small village in the western portion of the metro. In the last twenty years this place has boomed (along with adjacent townships of Springfield and Monclova). Also the home of.....cough cough.....Joe The Plumber.

Sylvania & Sylvania Township - I mention both locales at the same time because there is a continuing attempt to merge the two, and eliminate over-lapping services and costs. Together, they would create one of the larger suburban communities in Ohio. Both have significant sprawl, a nice blend of demographics, some industry (primarily lighter variety). Sylvania Township is filled with newer subdivisions.

Side-note: Humorist P. J. O'Rourke (born and raised in Toledo) mentioned a Sylvania Township subdivision in one of his numerous essays.

Bedroom suburbs, just a few miles from the outer-ring suburbs, include Swanton, Waterville, and Whitehouse. And Toledo's largest suburb is not even part of the legally-defined metropolitan area. Bedford Township is in Michigan. If you stood on the roof of your house in Bedford Township you could see the sky towers of downtown Toledo. But that large area, filled with retail, commercial, industry and many subdivisions is statistically part of the Detroit Metro Area.

Exit, Stage Left
My son (now 39) and his family moved a couple years ago. They felt that the opportunities for them and their lifestyle (outdoorsy) were better attained in Portland, OR. Many young folks wander away from Toledo. Admittedly, there is not a big nightlife-type scene in Toledo. For many young'n's, the lights are much brighter in places like Chicago (a regular next stop for young Toledo residents), Columbus, Atlanta, and Denver.

So....What's The Answer?
As others have clearly mentioned.....Toledo has its' fair share of problems. It also has some good stuff, although digging through the garbage to find the diamond is demanding and tough. There are smaller cities that are much worse. There are larger cities that are doing much better than Toledo.

There is no right answer.

Bear

Old 09-08-2009, 12:48 AM

374 posts, read 1,124,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bear Up North View Post
I am a newbie on this forum......and I have just finished browsing the posts on this particular thread. As a (mostly) life-long resident of NW Ohio (living in Toledo more half my 61 years) I feel compelled to add a few comments.

The Good Stuff (National Stage)
Toledo gets some decent press. Many of you have already mentioned the Art Museum (in the Top 10 by many ranking services), the Zoo (considered America's "most complete" zoo), Tony Packo's (famous a number of years ago due to numerous mentions on MASH), Fifth Third Field (rated as the "best minor league venue"), and Oak Openings Metropark (listed as one of the best natural areas in the states). These are the places that you would take your family if they came to visit. Toledo also regularly "claims" Cedar Point (world's leader in roller coasters!), even though Cleveland could, by virtue of mileage, make the same claim.

Toledo grabs national coverage for the number of solar energy companies that are operating.....and more are being considered. The largest automobile-related plants within the city limits get high reviews for productivity (GM Powertrain, on the oft-mentioned Alexis Road) and the huge Chrysler (Fiat) Assembly Plant, one of the world's newest and most-productive vehicle assembly facilities.

The Western Basin of Lake Erie is an incredible fishery and is a constant in the national press. The area is called "The Walleye Capitol Of The World"....and as a boat owner for years I will vouch for that. The lake is also filled with yellow perch (yum!) and the small-mouth bass fishing around the Lake Erie Islands is rated among the best.

The Bad Stuff (National Stage)
Crime statistics can tell a story.....but so can the perceptions, "gut feelings"......and the real deal of violence that hits home. There are some bad neighborhoods in Toledo. A few months ago one of my employees' was shot twice, in a central city gas station robbery. Earlier this year, the son of another employee was murdered in a gang-related shooting. An employee of a company my company has a relationship with was killed earlier this year......riding his bicycle to work work (during the high gasoline cost period).

Toledo's mayor has contributed to "national stage bad stuff". He is a fellow with immense pride in his community but his actions usually involve the words stumbling, bumbling, embarassing, yadda. Plant closing, layoffs.....Toledo is certainly one of the "national stage" locales. For years the city proclaimed that it was "the automobile parts capitol of the world". That is probably not the case now, as many smaller "feeder" companies have bit the dust.

Toledo's airport is a gem......if you like parking within a hundred yards of the terminal....and the terminal is about the size of a high school auditorium. It has never been a large airport, and in the days of cheap airline fares (and airlines that could make a profit!) there were many good flights out of Toledo Express Airport. Toledo's airport is no different than many smaller airports.....not enough passengers to fill a bigger (more efficient) airplane.

Toledo Express was mentioned in a national article. In addition to discussing the elimination of flights at numerous smaller airports the article mentioned Toledo's proximity to Metro Airport in suburban Detroit. That huge facility is less than an hour's motor away.

Side-note: The airport also hosts a huge BAX Global Distribution Center (Sort Hub), with over a thousand employees. At the other end of some of the longest runways in the states is a large Air National Guard facility, with more than 1000 employees.

Education
Metropolitan Toledo is (rightly so) proud of their two major universities, The University of Toledo and Bowling Green State University. Both schools continue to win acclaim (and awards of distinction) for specific focuses related to their missions. Ohio's largest community college, Owens, is in a suburb. Lourdes College (in another suburb) has gained a superb reputation for its' strong focus on building character.

Some of the suburban school districts have scored high marks in their education process. However, the Toledo Public Schools have many challenges. With solid state funding, TPS has built a number of new schools and (as viewed by this outsider) tried very hard to improve their lot in educational life.

TPS has a problem that is not mentioned often. It is called Washington Township. All that remains of this once very large suburban township are a couple small tracts of homes in the northern portion of the county (near Lake Erie). Because these small township tracts remain, the township was able to keep its' own school system.....Washington Local School District. This district (with flagship Whitmer High.....my school!) is one of the largest in the state. Almost all of the district is within the corporate boundaries of Toledo. If those households were in TPS, the numbers (because of the demographics of Washington LSD) would be quite different.....and probably better.

Toledo & The Suburbs
Only a few of the Top 100 USA Metropolitan Areas have as large a percentage of people living in the central core city as Toledo. What does that mean? The outer edges of the city (not the suburbs) all resemble suburbs. Most have a 1950s thru 1970s look and feel. IMO that is one of the reasons that Toledo ranks "better" in some of the statistical categories. These suburb-like neighborhoods have lower crime rates, are well-kept and generally clean, and have higher family incomes (especially in the disposable income category)

When you do cross-over into the suburbs, here's a taste of what you will find.....

Oregon - Working class near its' boundaries with the eastern neighborhoods of Toledo. Oil refineries, a mix of old and new industry, heavy sprawl (Navarre Avenue, Woodville Road). Also is the location of Woodville Mall, another shopping facility that is on death's door. The eastern half of Oregon is agricultural, and has a wonderful state park, Maumee Bay. Maumee Bay State Park is loaded with fun stuff to do, including a huge lodge, rental cottages, beaches, camping, hiking, birding.

Rossford - You can see downtown Toledo from Rossford. Nice little community, with a mix of demographics. The estate area (The Colony) along the Maumee River has some astounding homes (and views).

Perrysburg - One of the older communities, this once-sleepy burg has blossomed into one of Toledo's premier suburbs. The disposable income is high, numerous new shopping areas have sprung up, the central business district has retained its' charm......a nice place. Speaking of shopping areas......Levis Commons (in Perrysburg) has gained national stage attention as one of the best examples of the trend in "lifestyle centers".

Northwood - Geographically a long and skinny suburb. This community (with no real downtown) is filled with industry.....some old.....but mostly newer industry.

The above 'burbs are on the east side of the Maumee River. The new group is on the west side of the river.....

Maumee - Inner-ring suburb with a mixture of older pre-war homes and newer subdivisions. The city assisted in the creation of a large and very successful business park. The CBD is very nice, especially during the holidays. Good bar, too - Dale's.

Holland - Small village in the western portion of the metro. In the last twenty years this place has boomed (along with adjacent townships of Springfield and Monclova). Also the home of.....cough cough.....Joe The Plumber.

Sylvania & Sylvania Township - I mention both locales at the same time because there is a continuing attempt to merge the two, and eliminate over-lapping services and costs. Together, they would create one of the larger suburban communities in Ohio. Both have significant sprawl, a nice blend of demographics, some industry (primarily lighter variety). Sylvania Township is filled with newer subdivisions.

Side-note: Humorist P. J. O'Rourke (born and raised in Toledo) mentioned a Sylvania Township subdivision in one of his numerous essays.

Bedroom suburbs, just a few miles from the outer-ring suburbs, include Swanton, Waterville, and Whitehouse. And Toledo's largest suburb is not even part of the legally-defined metropolitan area. Bedford Township is in Michigan. If you stood on the roof of your house in Bedford Township you could see the sky towers of downtown Toledo. But that large area, filled with retail, commercial, industry and many subdivisions is statistically part of the Detroit Metro Area.

Exit, Stage Left
My son (now 39) and his family moved a couple years ago. They felt that the opportunities for them and their lifestyle (outdoorsy) were better attained in Portland, OR. Many young folks wander away from Toledo. Admittedly, there is not a big nightlife-type scene in Toledo. For many young'n's, the lights are much brighter in places like Chicago (a regular next stop for young Toledo residents), Columbus, Atlanta, and Denver.

So....What's The Answer?
As others have clearly mentioned.....Toledo has its' fair share of problems. It also has some good stuff, although digging through the garbage to find the diamond is demanding and tough. There are smaller cities that are much worse. There are larger cities that are doing much better than Toledo.

There is no right answer.

Bear
Great post....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Toledo