Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Toronto
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-25-2013, 06:16 AM

2,801 posts, read 3,860,502 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by botticelli View Post
The BD line is hardly that crowded. the purpose of the DRL is to relieve pressure from Yonge line

exactly what I mean - those people are from the suburbs, aren't they? Which means the DRL serves the suburbs more than downtown.
Downtowners don't need the DRL to travel within downtown. We either walk or the streetcars works fine.

Again, you are talking about suburban people.

I am not against the DRL, don't get me wrong. It should be at the front of the line from day one, before Eglinton, extension of Spadina line or Yonge line. What I am saying is it is stupid for people to think the construction of this line is for the benefit of downtown residents and therefore the political obstacles. The fact that it goes from the suburbs right through the core doesn't mean it is more helpful for downtowners. It mostly serves the purpose of providing an alternative for the suburbs to get downtown without taking the Yonge line.

As to downtowners, we probably take it once in a while, but who the hell will take it from downtown to some suburbs on a regular basis.

The Downtown relief line is mislableld. It should be called the "rapid suburban commute line" (RSCL) to be more accurate.
Oh yes, I forgot you consider the suburbs to be anywhere west of Bathurst, or east of what? Jarvis? River? If that's the case, seems like the good ole YUS Line should serve your needs quite well.

You're talking out your u know what...again. Apply your standards to, say, Chicago (I know how much you like it there) and only the area in and around the Loop would be considered downtown, and all the other urban neighbourhoods around it that make up the majority of the city would also be considered....suburbs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2013, 07:51 AM

10,839 posts, read 14,731,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TOkidd View Post
Oh yes, I forgot you consider the suburbs to be anywhere west of Bathurst, or east of what? Jarvis? River? If that's the case, seems like the good ole YUS Line should serve your needs quite well.

You're talking out your u know what...again. Apply your standards to, say, Chicago (I know how much you like it there) and only the area in and around the Loop would be considered downtown, and all the other urban neighbourhoods around it that make up the majority of the city would also be considered....suburbs.

IMO, neighbourhoods such as East York, Leslieville, the Beaches, Forest Hill, Rosedale, Leaside are unambiguously the suburbs. You live in a friggin detached or semi, and drive to strip malls to buy simple stuff such as toilet paper or cereal. 100% suburban.

On the other hand, downtown, little Italy, Trinity Bellwoods, St Lawrence Market, Yorkville are urban. You have countless stores, restaurants and cafes steps away, with retails on both main and side streets. That is NOT suburban.

Geographically, roughly in the Toronto, the non-suburban areas are
South of Queen st: between Dufferin and Parliament,
between Queen and Bloor: between Ossington and Parliament
between Bloor and Roselawn/Erskine: between Avenue road and Mt Pleasant

Old 04-25-2013, 12:35 PM

1,635 posts, read 2,714,253 times
Quote:
IMO, neighbourhoods such as East York, Leslieville, the Beaches, Forest Hill, Rosedale, Leaside are unambiguously the suburbs. You live in a friggin detached or semi, and drive to strip malls to buy simple stuff such as toilet paper or cereal. 100% suburban.

On the other hand, downtown, little Italy, Trinity Bellwoods, St Lawrence Market, Yorkville are urban. You have countless stores, restaurants and cafes steps away, with retails on both main and side streets. That is NOT suburban.

Geographically, roughly in the Toronto, the non-suburban areas are
South of Queen st: between Dufferin and Parliament,
between Queen and Bloor: between Ossington and Parliament
between Bloor and Roselawn/Erskine: between Avenue road and Mt Pleasant
Now this, I dont agree with, you just sound crazy lol. Toronto's suburbs are: Mississuaga, Brampton, Ajax, Pickering, Richmond Hill etc. The outher ring areas with the "L" postal code.

Leaside, Rosedale etc. are all hoods located in the city of Toronto (hence the word "city"). Toronto boroughs consist of Etobicoke, North York, East York, Scarborough, York, and "Old Toronto" All these boroughts make up what is the city of the Toronto, so if someone lives in any of these places they live in Toronto. Thats why all these places share the same "M" postal code.

Thats like saying Bedford-Stuvesant is (which is located in one of New York City's boroughs, Brooklyn), is a suburb, which is also ridiculuous.

And you just contracted yourself. you say: "On the other hand, downtown, little Italy, Trinity Bellwoods, St Lawrence Market, Yorkville are urban. You have countless stores, restaurants and cafes steps away, with retails on both main and side streets. That is NOT suburban."

...but before that you said East York is a surburb (lol) yet when you walk along Pape Ave, north of Danfoth Ave you see "countless stores, restaurants and cafes steps away, with retails on both main and side streets." This area is located in...you guess it.... East York.

So which one is it?

Overall, as I stated, The city of Toronto has 6 boroughs and these are all within the city, share the same "M" postal code, has 416 area code (plus 437, and 647) , the Toronto Transit Commission runs its subway system through all these boroughs in the city, and so on. Suburbs are the immediate cities and towns just outside the M postal code. Just because a main street doesn't have cafes and restaurants lined up on both sides doenst make them a suburb. It's the actual location and physically that defines what's a suburb and what is not.

Old 04-25-2013, 12:59 PM

^ you are basically saying anything within the 416 under Mayor Ford is the "city" and not the suburbs. So I guess if Vaughan is politically annexed to Toronto tomorrow, it magically transforms from a suburb to the "city" overnight?

Take a look at Finch/Warden or Eglinton/Jane and tell me they are the "city" instead of the suburbs.

Plus, I don't think Toronto has "boroughs" to speak of. Actually East York was Canada's only "borough" before 1998. So I don't know where your so-called boroughs come from. We are not in New York City.

I don't know where you see retails on both main st and side steets near Danforth and Pape. Show me? Almost all retail is on the Danforth. On Pape, about 200M north of Danforth, it is all residential, not to mention any retail on side streets. If there were retail on streets like Gough Ave, Eaton Ave, Selkirk st, Muriel Ave, Browning Ave, Carlaw ave, I will gladly apologize and admit East York is not just a suburb, but unfortunately, all those streets have nothing but resiential houses.

I would love to see East York being more like St Lawrence Market of King/Queen West between University and Bathurst. But they are not, not even remotely close.

Old 04-25-2013, 01:51 PM

3,083 posts, read 4,878,492 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrjun18 View Post
Just because a main street doesn't have cafes and restaurants lined up on both sides doenst make them a suburb. It's the actual location and physically that defines what's a suburb and what is not.
I think he knows that East York is a part of Toronto, his argument is about the look and feel of those type of places i.e to him it doesn't feel urban where as Little Italy does feel urban. Many cities have these types of different feels, or looks if you will. The outer boroughs of London, UK can look and feel suburban in comparison to the central inner boroughs etc etc. North York seems a lot more urban than Mississauga??..just because of the TTC and 416 area code? Don't get me wrong North York is more urban seeming than Mississauga but not by a whole lot.

Old 04-25-2013, 02:07 PM

Quote:
^ you are basically saying anything within the 416 under Mayor Ford is the "city" and not the suburbs. So I guess if Vaughan is politically annexed to Toronto tomorrow, it magically transforms from a suburb to the "city" overnight?

Take a look at Finch/Warden or Eglinton/Jane and tell me they are the "city" instead of the suburbs.

Plus, I don't think Toronto has "boroughs" to speak of. Actually East York was Canada's only "borough" before 1998. So I don't know where your so-called boroughs come from. We are not in New York City.

I don't know where you see retails on both main st and side streets near Danforth and Pape. Show me? Almost all retail is on the Danforth. On Pape, about 200M north of Danforth, it is all residential, not to mention any retail on side streets. If there were retail on streets like Gough Ave, Eaton Ave, Selkirk st, Muriel Ave, Browning Ave, Carlaw ave, I will gladly apologize and admit East York is not just a suburb, but unfortunately, all those streets have nothing but residential houses.

I would love to see East York being more like St Lawrence Market of King/Queen West between University and Bathurst. But they are not, not even remotely close.
Im basically saying anything that is located in the "city of Toronto" is the city. Though some areas looks very suburban, they are still in the city.

Borough, district etc. Whatever you wanna call it. It basically the same thing and you know what I mean. Along Pape, north of Danforth there are pockets of different types of establishments. Barbers/salons, eateries, retail etc. If you are not familiar with that area you should take a look.

The fort york neighbourhood downtown doesn't have retail, restaurants etc on both sides, neither does cityplace..... Is this also suburbs to you? You can say an area "looks" suburban but it doenst exactly mean it is, just by its appearance.

Last edited by mrjun18; 04-25-2013 at 02:19 PM..

Old 04-25-2013, 02:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by darrensmooth View Post
I think he knows that East York is a part of Toronto, his argument is about the look and feel of those type of places i.e to him it doesn't feel urban where as Little Italy does feel urban. Many cities have these types of different feels, or looks if you will. The outer boroughs of London, UK can look and feel suburban in comparison to the central inner boroughs etc etc. North York seems a lot more urban than Mississauga??..just because of the TTC and 416 area code? Don't get me wrong North York is more urban seeming than Mississauga but not by a whole lot.
Thats understandable. The "look and feel" and actually "being" suburbs are two completely different things is what I'm saying.

Old 04-25-2013, 02:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrjun18 View Post
Thats understandable. The "look and feel" and actually "being" suburbs are two completely different things is what I'm saying.
your claim makes no sense.
What does it mean you are "being" in the suburbs? some magical area code or postal code, irrespective of what the area/lifestyle is really like?

So in your mind, on the south side of Steeles ave, it is the city while on the north side 20 meters away, it is suddenly the suburb because the postal code starts with a M?

Old 04-25-2013, 02:45 PM

3,083 posts, read 4,878,492 times
Quote:
What does it mean you are "being" in the suburbs? some magical area code or postal code, irrespective of what the area/lifestyle is really like?

So in your mind, on the south side of Steeles ave, it is the city while on the north side 20 meters away, it is suddenly the suburb because the postal code starts with a M?
I think that is EXACTLY what he is saying, although he will have to confirm. I think when we think of what we prefer to live like in terms of area we decide whether we want 1) urban 2) suburban 3) small town 4) rural town or 5) middle of nowhere with neighbors sometimes miles away. If one were to choose 1) urban then living on the south side of Steele Avenue would not really qualify just because it technically is part of the city, like you said the look and feel is absolutely no different than the North side which is suburban.

Old 04-25-2013, 03:12 PM

Quote:

Same as if you are 20 metres outside little Italy (or any of those neighborhoods you mentioned) ... Are you in the suburbs?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Toronto