Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Toronto
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-25-2013, 03:18 PM

10,564 posts, read 12,824,295 times

Advertisements

The transit system is just fine. I have yet to meet a person who could not get to where they are going via the TTC. I rarely use it because I am poor- 6 dollars a round trip. That is a pack of cheap smokes...It's either go somewhere or stay and home and smoke. If I can not walk to where I am going or borrow a family members bus pass I stay static. Far as poor pitiful me....I don't care about the better way and attempting to make it better.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2013, 03:37 PM

10,839 posts, read 14,731,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrjun18 View Post
Same as if you are 20 metres outside little Italy (or any of those neighborhoods you mentioned) ... Are you in the suburbs?
again, you are making no sense.

Unlike a city, a neighbourhood doesn't have a official/fixed boundaries. The neighbourhood effect usually gradually subsides as you move further away from its centre.

Ask Torontonians what is Little Italy and 10 people will give you 8 difference answers. Yorkville used to be exclusively north of Bloor and west of Bay, now many claim Charles St W and E, and even part of Yonge st are part of Yorkville.

On the other hand, you can never stretch any street north of Steeles to be part of Toronto - they pay different property tax, subject to different municipality laws etc.

Old 04-25-2013, 03:42 PM

1,635 posts, read 2,714,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by botticelli View Post
again, you are making no sense.

Unlike a city, a neighbourhood doesn't have a official/fixed boundaries. The neighbourhood effect usually gradually subsides as you move further away from its centre.

Ask Torontonians what is Little Italy and 10 people will give you 8 difference answers. Yorkville used to be exclusively north of Bloor and west of Bay, now many claim Charles St W and E, and even part of Yonge st are part of Yorkville.

On the other hand, you can never stretch any street north of Steeles to be part of Toronto - they pay different property tax, subject to different municipality laws etc.
Exactly. Because north of toronto are toronto suburbs. My point exactly.

Old 04-25-2013, 03:49 PM

Quote:
Exactly. Because north of toronto are toronto suburbs. My point exactly.
sure. I am sure everyone on this forum absolutely agrees with you: that the suburbs start at Steeles Ave, not a meter south, not a meter north. You stand on Steeles, cross the street and all of a sudden you magically enter the suburb.

Old 04-25-2013, 04:21 PM

Quote:
sure. I am sure everyone on this forum absolutely agrees with you: that the suburbs start at Steeles Ave, not a meter south, not a meter north. You stand on Steeles, cross the street and all of a sudden you magically enter the suburb.
You're not reading the posts properly. Geographically speaking north of Steeles and east and west of Toronto are where toronto suburbs are located. If you ask someone what are toronto suburbs they will tell you brampton, Milton, ajax etc. The municipalities immediately outside the city. Of course in the city of toronto itself there are urban and suburban areas but it doesn't exactly mean they are suburbs just because they have suburban feelings and looks.

The average person won't tell you Yonge and Sheppard /North York Centre is a suburb.

Old 04-25-2013, 04:27 PM

Quote:

The average person won't tell you Yonge and Sheppard /North York Centre is a suburb.
The intersection might not look like one, but 10 minutes walking distance south west of it definitely is.

Google Maps
Google Maps

So is Yonge/Sheppard a suburb? Definitely.

Old 04-25-2013, 05:02 PM

Quote:
The intersection might not look like one, but 10 minutes walking distance south west of it definitely is.

Google Maps
Google Maps

So is Yonge/Sheppard a suburb? Definitely.
By your definition, since 10 mins walking distance outside of "little Italy, Trinity Bellwoods, St Lawrence Market, Yorkville" etc, also "look" suburban. Therefore by your logic, these communities are suburbs too?

Old 04-26-2013, 08:35 AM

2,801 posts, read 3,860,502 times
^^^^^ it's hopeless, my friend. Señor Botticelli seems to think that even very urban areas of Toronto like Riverdale, St. Clair West, the Annex, Parkdale, Dundas West, Christie Pitts, Wallace Emerson and Junction Triangle are all suburban. Never mind trying to convince him that parts of North Toronto like Jane/Finch, Mount Dennis, Bayview and Sheppard, etc. are anything but suburban.

I do agree with him that parts of the city of Toronto are suburban in character (due to amalgamation, we inherited a lot of previously suburban municipalities). But his definition of urban would exclude most of Old Toronto as well. Even with Chicago, a city I know he likes, much of the area outside of the Loop would meet his definition of suburban (though he will certainly deny that for one reason or another). The same is true for almost all of Los Angeles, and pretty much all newer large American cities like Vegas, Houston, Dallas, Phoenix, Albuquerque, Tucson, and even older cities like Boston and Philadephia, which have compact downtowns surrounded by sprawling, dense inner-city neighbourhoods. Even our continent's pinnacle of urbanity - NYC - would find four of its five boroughs relegated to the status of suburb under Señor Botticelli's definition.

Old 04-26-2013, 08:48 AM

^^ just curious, why do you keep calling me Señor Botticelli?
Señor is Spanish while Botticelli is Italian. :P should be "Signor".

Old 04-26-2013, 10:35 AM

325 posts, read 1,036,535 times
Anyone who says our transportation system is just fine has never been to a city with an effective means of transit.

Consider London, where I've gone several times to find an entire underground line down for repair, with no impact other than a re-routing of my travel plan required.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Toronto