Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Toyota, Lexus, and Scion
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-04-2008, 01:39 PM

2,940 posts, read 3,968,689 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by yo vanilla View Post
Interesting how the subject is the "worlds best" yet you have focused mainly on comparing North American cars...
The models I listed are American, Japanese, and Korean. The Europeans aren't usually at the top of the list when it comes to reliability....especially in cars in or around the class of a Toyota Corolla. I'm not going to start comparing a Corolla to an Audi or a BMW.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2008, 01:58 PM

1,357 posts, read 5,867,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrKrabs View Post
The models I listed are American, Japanese, and Korean. The Europeans aren't usually at the top of the list when it comes to reliability....especially in cars in or around the class of a Toyota Corolla. I'm not going to start comparing a Corolla to an Audi or a BMW.
Not the brand's country of origin. What about models not sold here in America.

Old 03-04-2008, 02:28 PM

18,949 posts, read 43,612,080 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve-o View Post
My 1990 Corolla had those options.
Really? All of the older Corolla's I looked at had three speed automatics.

Old 03-04-2008, 02:44 PM

20,004 posts, read 77,392,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southernnaturelover View Post
Really? All of the older Corolla's I looked at had three speed automatics.
Well, it was actually a Geo Prizm, but it was just a rebadged Corolla. Had a 4 spd auto, a/c, power windows, power door locks, etc. It was a 1990 Prizm that I bought in 1995, had 118K on it upon purchase, 190K when I gave it to my brother, and 215K when he sold it. I saw the car for another 2 years driving around town. Amazingly reliable car.

Old 03-04-2008, 02:59 PM

4,472 posts, read 17,701,216 times
Quote:
Dude, a Denali is nothing but a glorified Yukon, not exactly what Id call luxurious. I never understand why people think throwing some leather seats, a fake wood console, and a different grille/steering wheel/rims/etc, somehow makes the ride "luxurious", when all the underpinnings and build quality is the same as its bottom-feeder siblings. So in a sense, if I were to take a Toyota 4Runner (a capable off-roader) and throw on some different rims, add on the word "Opera" to its nameplate, change the steering wheel and add a cheesy, plastic, wood-trim-wannabe bezel around the radio and charge a 10K premium over a normal 4Runner, would that make the ride "luxurious"? No. It would make me laughable for suggesting such a thing, which is what GM manages to do with the Denali.

The Corolla is an excellent car (albeit boring--kinda like a Yukon), and arguably more luxurious than a Denali. I sure know the switchgear, ride quality, interior noise levels and build quality are alot better on a Corolla than the "luxurious" Denali.
You need to get your facts straight. First of all, yes the Denali is a more luxurious version of the much-praised Yukon but the Denali has more than just purely visual differences.

The drivetrain on a Denali is exclusive ONLY to both the Yukon Denali and Escalade; it isn't available on the Tahoe or the regular Yukon along with a Vortec 6200 engine again standard on the Denali and Escalade. The Denali also comes STANDARD with a power liftgate, Bose sound system, remote start, leather seats, mesh grille, and 18 inch rims.

I drove both the Denali and the base Yukon and I can tell you that the Denali seems to have a smoother ride and more passing power. I also looked at the Escalade but it didn't seem to be worth $10,000 more than the Denali. The Denali is basically an Escalade without as much chrome or the Cadillac insignia.

And how do you "surely know" that the Corolla has a better ride or more quiet interior than the Yukon? I've been in small cars before and going over even a small bump shakes the heck out of you while as in my Yukon, I can glide over a bump with ease.

I'm not hating on the Corolla here, I think it's a great little car but I'll take my gas-guzzling Yukon Denali any day of the week.

Old 03-04-2008, 03:46 PM

582 posts, read 2,039,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeedyAZ View Post
You need to get your facts straight. First of all, yes the Denali is a more luxurious version of the much-praised Yukon but the Denali has more than just purely visual differences.

The drivetrain on a Denali is exclusive ONLY to both the Yukon Denali and Escalade; it isn't available on the Tahoe or the regular Yukon along with a Vortec 6200 engine again standard on the Denali and Escalade. The Denali also comes STANDARD with a power liftgate, Bose sound system, remote start, leather seats, mesh grille, and 18 inch rims.

I drove both the Denali and the base Yukon and I can tell you that the Denali seems to have a smoother ride and more passing power. I also looked at the Escalade but it didn't seem to be worth $10,000 more than the Denali. The Denali is basically an Escalade without as much chrome or the Cadillac insignia.

And how do you "surely know" that the Corolla has a better ride or more quiet interior than the Yukon? I've been in small cars before and going over even a small bump shakes the heck out of you while as in my Yukon, I can glide over a bump with ease.

I'm not hating on the Corolla here, I think it's a great little car but I'll take my gas-guzzling Yukon Denali any day of the week.
if you can afford the gas and the repairs then why not.i'm more a to b and the corolla does it for me without burning a hole in my pocket and stress free from repairs that makes me happy.

Old 03-04-2008, 04:21 PM

84 posts, read 272,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeedyAZ View Post
Corolla's may be reliable and inexpensive but they're not for everyone. For me, they'd be too small and too...basic. I like a little luxury to go with my vehicles that's why I love my Yukon Denali. If you're single, have a limited budget, and aren't really a "car nut" I'd say a Corolla might be a pretty good bet but otherwise there are be better choices. Personally if I was in the market for a car, I'd take a good hard look at the new Camry. For the price, they are pretty hard to beat especially the upper-end models.

You should check out the new corolla's...I like it that Toyota updates the car every five years...unlike many U.S. car manufacturers that stay with a basic platform for years. I've had my Corolla for 10 years...and NOT ONE problem.
The car has saved me more money then I can calculate...unlike the Ford's my father drove which were constantly in the shop...who cares if it's covered by warranty if the car is in the shop on a consistent basis.

Old 03-05-2008, 06:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flburgos View Post
.i'm more a to b and the corolla does it for me without burning a hole in my pocket and stress free from repairs that makes me happy.

That's my philosophy on driving and why I like my new Corolla and my used Accord that we have for a second car.

Old 03-05-2008, 06:36 AM

33,544 posts, read 37,140,220 times
You guys have to be kidding. Sure the Corolla is probably one of the most reliable cars made, and it's is cheap to keep, if that is what you mean by best. For performance and driving fun it doesn't even rank. In my opinion it's about as boring a drive as one can get.

Old 03-05-2008, 07:22 AM

Boring to drive? Sorry I don't need to be entertained by driving....its a necessity. There's a radio and CD player in my Corolla if I need entertainment. Life must be pretty boring for you if you need entertainment from your car....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Toyota, Lexus, and Scion