Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Toyota, Lexus, and Scion
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-31-2010, 04:00 PM

9,424 posts, read 11,176,605 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bydand View Post
I wouldn't buy one BEFORE this news, so I highly doubt I will buy one anytime soon.
Me either. To give them credit, I liked my 91 Camry.

Nothing in the current lineup appeals. So sorry.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tightwad View Post
Yes, I know I would ,if I need a vehicle now, and I think a lot more people will since at the end of the day it's how you fix your problems that most important.
Toyota ,to their credit, stepped up took charge and is going to do the right thing with a good deal of grace and dignity that will, in the end, impress people who otherwise wouldn't even consider Toyota.

Let's see GM,Ford or Chrysler stop production to stop the problem at the source. Yeah, good luck with that.
And how they dodged this for years is exactly what you complain of.

Floormats?
Someone please tell me how a floormat is going to floor a throttle? More likely it will prevent it from being floored.

This is looking very much like a CPU (computer) issue.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve_TN View Post
Let's see...it's the floormats, um.....it's not, it's the accelerator pedal. Then Toyota is made to stop selling the affected models. It wasn't voluntary. That's not what I call stepping up with grace or dignity and nobody is impressed.
People have died horrifying deaths.

Even kool aid drinkers should understand the seriousness of this, but they don't.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2010, 04:08 PM

3,681 posts, read 9,061,713 times
I've owned 3 Toyotas over the years including a 95 Camry wagon that I drove until just under 180K miles and my current one (97 Corolla) with about 120K miles. They've all been very reliable and have not needed much other than routine maintenance.

If I were to buy a new car right now, I'd give Toyota a look but would probably go for a Honda unless I got one HECK OF A DEAL on a Toyota. I just like their new models better especially the Fit and the Civic Si. The new Toyotas are not that exciting to me but this has nothing to do with this recall. I think this could happen with any brand.

Old 01-31-2010, 04:20 PM

13,258 posts, read 22,853,022 times
Had a Corolla for a couple of years before trading it in for the Subaru Outback I'd always really wanted. It wasn't a bad car, and the trade in price I got was quite good, but when I'm spending that much money on a vehicle, I want a car I'm excited about, and current Toyota line-up is just so boring.

Old 01-31-2010, 04:25 PM

3,528 posts, read 8,630,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tightwad View Post
I can see you don't follow the news do you?
I very closely follow the news online and on television, thank you. I'm not about to engage in the awapping of personal insults, so please keep it on a mature level if you wish to discuss this. I have no problem with slamming the respective companies, but there is no reason to slam eachother.

Old 01-31-2010, 04:28 PM
NSX

877 posts, read 2,169,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Cat View Post
I would. Just because of the gas pedal issue of those models does not erase the fact that Toyota quality is legendary.
Of course there are a few haters that will take this and blow it out of proportion.
Kind of like the same when you work for a company your whole life, never been absent, never neen late, never had an issue with anybody then all of a sudden something happens in one day and you become the most unreliable, despicable, irresponsible employee ever.
Just my two cents.
Toyota quality "legendary"? I literally laughed out loud at this one. Go to any Toyota forum and you'll see that Toyota owners have had more than their fair share of problems over the years, just like the rest of us. A company with legendary quality would have the testing and controls in place to never let a failure of epic proportions like this happen in the first place.

Think I'm going to stick to Fords, Lotuses and Lamborghinis....

Old 01-31-2010, 04:33 PM

3,528 posts, read 8,630,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dwatted Wabbit View Post
Me either. To give them credit, I liked my 91 Camry.

Nothing in the current lineup appeals. So sorry.

And how they dodged this for years is exactly what you complain of.

Floormats?
Someone please tell me how a floormat is going to floor a throttle? More likely it will prevent it from being floored.

This is looking very much like a CPU (computer) issue.

People have died horrifying deaths.

Even kool aid drinkers should understand the seriousness of this, but they don't.
I am a diehard Nissan fan and owner, BUT if this was Nissan instead of Toyota, they couldn't give me Kool-Aid strong enough. I would be slamming Nissan bigtime, not defending them. Yes, there have been Nissan recalls, but none so serious or mishandled as Toyota's mess.

Old 01-31-2010, 05:15 PM
f_m

2,289 posts, read 8,372,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCN View Post
Not even if you paid me to do it. That hate card you are playing is really ugly. Using logic is not hate, it is being logical. This company waited way too long to admit they had a major problem and I would never trust them. There are two other companies I don't trust either. Sure makes shopping easier. They are not even considered by us when we go looking.

People getting killed because of a car defect is not BS. I think they call it denial and you are in denial.
People are killed or injured all the time by various products. You just don't always hear about it. Sometimes due to the settlement. Here's one I never heard about, but it's one of many.

Judge OKs $24M Chrysler wrongful death settlement - KCBA - Monterey, Salinas, Santa Cruz - News Weather-

Old 01-31-2010, 05:17 PM

1,628 posts, read 4,041,418 times
I bought a Ford after the Pinto debacle, so if Toyota has a certain vehicle I want in the future, I would buy it.

This is all a bunch of hysteria fueled by the flag wavers that are sooooo glad Toyota messed up, it'll pass.

Old 01-31-2010, 05:34 PM

10,494 posts, read 27,252,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Cat View Post
I would. Just because of the gas pedal issue of those models does not erase the fact that Toyota quality is legendary.
Of course there are a few haters that will take this and blow it out of proportion.
Kind of like the same when you work for a company your whole life, never been absent, never neen late, never had an issue with anybody then all of a sudden something happens in one day and you become the most unreliable, despicable, irresponsible employee ever.
Just my two cents.
Here are reviews of the "legendary" Toyota Camry well before this fiasco happened.

Camry LE
3.0L
North America
292 words
A bad choice
1 comment
Camry LE
3.0 V6
North America
292 words
A very unwise decision
88 comments
Camry LE
3.0 V6
North America
235 words
A big disappointment
10 comments
Camry LE
3.0 - V6
North America
187 words
JUNK
9 comments
Camry
North America
163 words
This thing was a real STOPPER @ THE SERVICE DEPARTMENT
308 comments
Camry SE
4 cylinder
North America
88 words
This car is over priced

Camry LXI (http://www.carsurvey.org/reviews/toyota/camry/r95305/ - broken link)
2.4 petrol
Qatar
54 words
Okay

Source: 2006 Toyota Camry Reviews - Carsurvey.org

Old 01-31-2010, 05:44 PM

15,632 posts, read 24,443,939 times
Toyota ,to their credit, stepped up took charge and is going to do the right thing with a good deal of grace and dignity that will, in the end, impress people who otherwise wouldn't even consider Toyota.

Surely you posted that sarcastically.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Toyota, Lexus, and Scion