Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Toyota, Lexus, and Scion
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-01-2010, 09:44 PM

749 posts, read 1,790,120 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimrob1 View Post
I had Toyota's for years and never had problems with them. I don't currently own one, but if I did I don't think I would feel out of sorts over this recall. I admit I don't care for the Corolla any longer but the other Toyota models I drive every week at my job. I give them good marks though there has been some minor deterioration in quality. I wouldn't say enough deterioration to make me think they are junkers or that every one is a death trap waiting to happen. I think Toyota will take care of this problem, and at least at the corporate level it will be professional. I think they will definitely monitor their dealers to make sure this is taken care of in a timely and professional manner.

I find it odd with all the trouble the America auto makers have been having in recent years, especially this past one that Toyota is being slammed so hard by the Media. There have been numerous recalls on American cars for years. Gas tanks that explode on impact on a Ford Model, Brakes that come apart on certain Chevy's. Im hearing reports that people are now headed to Chevy and Ford to buy cars because they don't trust Toyota. All of a sudden people that wanted nothing to do with those automakers and found thier cars to be of poor quality. Well now they feel they are much better cars than Toyota. I've got news for them the only America company that has gotten any better is Ford. Chevy is still only so so and some models are worthless. Aveo and Cobalt leave alot to be desired.

It seems very coincidental after buyouts for automakers and so much distrust for the quality of thier cars. It seems very strange that a top well respected automaker for years is now in the toilet so quickly. It also seems very strange that the same week this business started with Toyota that Japans other well respected company Japan Air Lines filed bankruptcy. Just seems very strange for top companies in Japan to all of a sudden either be belly up or headed in that direction.

I think there is more behind all of this than acceleration problems in Toyota cars. This non stop coverage of this recall could very well ruin what has been a top notch automaker for decades.

I would still buy a Toyota especially the Camry, The RAV4 or the Landcruiser.
I agree 100%. Great Post.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2010, 07:52 PM

5,002 posts, read 12,364,433 times
Toyota has been on my s-list for a while and this just cements it.

It hasn't been just floor mats and stuck accelerators and faulty brakes and weird software driving their cruise control programs. It's also been the company trying to sweep under the rug that their engines jelled up after a certain number of years, forcing a massive class action lawsuit that basically states that if your car suffers from this, you get a new engine. It's the evil practice of appearing green while in actuality building two engines basically destroys the world faster than just an all-electric or all-gas/diesel car. Honestly, if they were pushing a green agenda, they'd go hybrid diesel / electric. But no, they're just building these cars that dumb Americans buy to make themselves think they're green.

Further, they are falsely advertising that their cars are "American". No. They are Japanese. End of story. Doesn't matter where it's built, the cream of the best jobs are created for the engineers, planners, and upper management. The only people who are American building Toyotas are poorly paid and in many cases poorly educated salesmen and line workers. Not exactly the economy-stimulating types of jobs. Why do you think China is trying to develop a home grown engineering and upper management class? Survey says, DING DING DING!!!!!! Better jobs! DUH!

Lastly, it is well known that no corporation really gives a d@mn about the people they're selling things to. They only care about the bottom line. Why else do you think Toyota quality has been going down the drain for some time now?

And anyone who claims the Detroit Three are no better, simple Google searches will p rove you wrong.

Old 02-03-2010, 08:07 PM

12,083 posts, read 38,866,146 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimrob1 View Post
I find it odd with all the trouble the America auto makers have been having in recent years, especially this past one that Toyota is being slammed so hard by the Media. There have been numerous recalls on American cars for years. Gas tanks that explode on impact on a Ford Model, Brakes that come apart on certain Chevy's.
Those examples were from decades ago, and Ford and Chevy DID catch hell in the media for them.

Old 02-03-2010, 11:37 PM

1,293 posts, read 5,000,405 times
There is no such thing as a good car. I have never owned any car, foreign or domestic that didn't have problems. A major recall was just a matter of time for Toyota. I predicted this would happen to either Toyota or Honda years ago and some other car company would become #1. Its just a cycle of imperfect manufactures. The media is making a big deal of this because the recall involves a major car company that is generally considered to be top notch, and add a scary situation which will sell papers.

Personally I still won't buy one, because of the lineup. They had a few cars I liked, some of the older Celicas for example, but thats about it. Add in the fact that everyone including my Grandmother owns one. If I were to buy a car from Japan, it would probably be Honda.

Old 02-03-2010, 11:39 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,449,435 times
per op
nothin wrong w/ toyota. america has got a new girlfriend, bejing.

Old 02-03-2010, 11:39 PM

1,293 posts, read 5,000,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bydand View Post
Those examples were from decades ago, and Ford and Chevy DID catch hell in the media for them.
People still talk about the Pintos and the Explorers. This recall is really right up there with them.

Old 02-06-2010, 09:40 PM

1,710 posts, read 4,135,918 times
Of course. Toyota still makes the best cars in the world. This is just a recall! If people quit buying GM cars because of recalls, they would have been out of business for decades!

Old 02-06-2010, 10:09 PM

3,528 posts, read 8,630,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by outafocus View Post
Of course. Toyota still makes the best cars in the world. This is just a recall! If people quit buying GM cars because of recalls, they would have been out of business for decades!

I sure hope you were being sarcastic.

Old 02-07-2010, 07:25 AM

42,554 posts, read 87,014,195 times
Of course I would. After a tornado, would you live in Kansas?

Old 02-07-2010, 08:45 AM

16,394 posts, read 30,296,637 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bydand View Post
That is incorrect.

Ford Crown Victorias have had a problem with exploding gas tanks in the 1998-2002 timeframe:

Ford Crown Victoria Police Interceptors

In fact, police cars sold during municipal auctions are supposed to disclose whether the required retrofit has been performed on the vehicle.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Toyota, Lexus, and Scion