Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Toyota, Lexus, and Scion
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-01-2010, 04:36 AM

2,698 posts, read 12,177,681 times

Advertisements

so how long til this thread gets merged into the MEGA thread?

to answer the OP's question, this 'BS' (lol. really?) won't much affect my decision on buying a Toyota in the future. then again, i never threw Toyota up on this impossibly tall pedestal, so they didn't have as far to fall in my eyes. they're a car manufacturer, and maybe they are a bit better than the others out there in some regards, but they're not God. at some point, something like this was bound to happen to them, too.

they are, however, handling this quite shamefully. i know some here under the dilusion that all the steps Toyota have taken thus far are because they're this super-awesome company who can do no wrong (read the news; everything they're doing now in the US is because they were FORCED to, by law.) will argue that the Big 3 have been pulling the same shenanigans for years. sure they have, which is just that much more evidence to support my point: Toyota is just another car company.

in the end, what WILL determine if i buy a Toyota in the future will be what has ALWAYS determined what vehicle i buy. does the vehicle suit my needs/wants? do i fit? can i afford it? what are its faults? can i live with these? and, most important to this conversation, what is the reliability of this PARTICULAR model? all brands have lemons, and all brands have stars. some just have more of one than the other, and its the responsbility of a good consumer to do their research and figure this out.

Mike
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2010, 05:30 AM

7,005 posts, read 21,342,445 times
How many people have died in total from this gas pedal malfunction? 500? 600? 1000?

Old 02-01-2010, 09:38 AM

14,317 posts, read 22,393,569 times
I still recognize that Toyota is tops in quality, and at one time I would've bought one, but not anymore. I find these vehicles to be rather bland. Don't care for the styling at all. The only Toyota vehicle I somewhat like is the Land Cruiser.

So I would not buy one now because of other reasons.

Old 02-01-2010, 07:04 PM

20,004 posts, read 77,404,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NSX View Post
Agree with almost all the choices. I guess Toyota will have a sports car soon: Lexus LFA - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia. But the whole thing is kind of a joke. Priced at $350K, the thing looks like a Lexus-IS250 with a bodykit. The sad thing is that you could get a Murcielago Roadster, Ford GT and F430 spider combined for less than this car. Definitely wouldn't want to have my gas pedal stuck in that thing

Seems like Toyota is getting more and more out of touch.
I dont count the LF-A. Its ugly, for starters, and in typical Lexus/Toyota fashion.... HORRIBLY overpriced. A Skyline GT-R still eats its lunch for around, uh, $270K less. Another Toyota fail. An even bigger fail is that stupid LF-A took a decade to finish! LOLOLOLOLOLOLOL

Old 02-01-2010, 07:11 PM

4,697 posts, read 6,450,481 times
Yes, I'd still buy a Toyota. We've had several over the years - we have two now ('04 Sienna and '06 Prius). I don't expect to be in the market for a new car for several more years, but depending on what we need at that point, or what we would like to have, I would certainly consider Toyota once again. I've been extremely pleased with our experiences with Toyota to date.

Old 02-01-2010, 07:15 PM

3,528 posts, read 8,630,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenGene View Post
Yes, I'd still buy a Toyota. We've had several over the years - we have two now ('04 Sienna and '06 Prius). I don't expect to be in the market for a new car for several more years, but depending on what we need at that point, or what we would like to have, I would certainly consider Toyota once again. I've been extremely pleased with our experiences with Toyota to date.

The newer designs do not even remotely resemble the quality craftmanship Toyota used to posess. Don't be fooled with their new "junk". Go sit in a new Corolla or Camry and you will instantly see the quality difference.

Old 02-01-2010, 07:21 PM

890 posts, read 3,702,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve_TN View Post
The newer designs do not even remotely resemble the quality craftmanship Toyota used to posess. Don't be fooled with their new "junk". Go sit in a new Corolla or Camry and you will instantly see the quality difference.
I'm with you 100% on that. The new Toyotas (as I've said) possess none of the high quality craftsmanship the older models used to have. They are overpriced junk with a Toyota badge.

Old 02-01-2010, 08:02 PM

2,497 posts, read 7,480,055 times
If Toyota could bring back the 1979 Corolla? Id buy one tomorrow!

Old 02-01-2010, 08:59 PM

9,537 posts, read 16,527,663 times
I had Toyota's for years and never had problems with them. I don't currently own one, but if I did I don't think I would feel out of sorts over this recall. I admit I don't care for the Corolla any longer but the other Toyota models I drive every week at my job. I give them good marks though there has been some minor deterioration in quality. I wouldn't say enough deterioration to make me think they are junkers or that every one is a death trap waiting to happen. I think Toyota will take care of this problem, and at least at the corporate level it will be professional. I think they will definitely monitor their dealers to make sure this is taken care of in a timely and professional manner.

I find it odd with all the trouble the America auto makers have been having in recent years, especially this past one that Toyota is being slammed so hard by the Media. There have been numerous recalls on American cars for years. Gas tanks that explode on impact on a Ford Model, Brakes that come apart on certain Chevy's. Im hearing reports that people are now headed to Chevy and Ford to buy cars because they don't trust Toyota. All of a sudden people that wanted nothing to do with those automakers and found thier cars to be of poor quality. Well now they feel they are much better cars than Toyota. I've got news for them the only America company that has gotten any better is Ford. Chevy is still only so so and some models are worthless. Aveo and Cobalt leave alot to be desired.

It seems very coincidental after buyouts for automakers and so much distrust for the quality of thier cars. It seems very strange that a top well respected automaker for years is now in the toilet so quickly. It also seems very strange that the same week this business started with Toyota that Japans other well respected company Japan Air Lines filed bankruptcy. Just seems very strange for top companies in Japan to all of a sudden either be belly up or headed in that direction.

I think there is more behind all of this than acceleration problems in Toyota cars. This non stop coverage of this recall could very well ruin what has been a top notch automaker for decades.

I would still buy a Toyota especially the Camry, The RAV4 or the Landcruiser.

Old 02-01-2010, 09:25 PM
f_m

2,289 posts, read 8,372,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Cat View Post
How many people have died in total from this gas pedal malfunction? 500? 600? 1000?
According to this, around 19 deaths estimated.

US Congress to investigate Toyota after 19 deaths - Times Online

Of course this type of thing comes and goes, everyone seems to forget quickly. Ford Explorer had a lot more issues.

Firestone: Attention shifts from Firestone to Ford Explorer

Although from a legal website, it does a quick summary stating an estimate of 200 deaths and 700 injuries from Ford Explorer rollover.
Ford Explorer Rollover Lawsuit Attorney | Lawyer: 2010 Update | Free Claim Review (http://www.usautoinjurylaw.com/cases/rollovers/explorer.htm - broken link)

Of course today, people still drive Explorers and still buy them. Ford recently announced they are expecting to hire more people to develop and build the next generation of Explorer. Previous to that it was Audi's problem, etc... So, history shows, people will still continue to buy cars. It will happen again, to some other car, some other brand, etc...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Toyota, Lexus, and Scion