Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Toyota, Lexus, and Scion
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-16-2010, 11:14 AM

2,335 posts, read 4,153,092 times

Advertisements

I wouldn't buy a Toyota before and I won't buy one now. When my girlfriend (now wife) was off to grad school, her parents wanted to buy her a new, reliable ride so they purchased a new Paseo for her. It was a great car, good on gas and didn't need more than oil changes, tires, brakes and batteries (and gas LOL).

She graduates and we are now looking to replace the now 12 year old Paseo (which served us well) with a new luxury car (this was in 2004). Toyota offered nothing that even tempted me to take a test drive so we bought an Infiniti (still going strong). I sold the Paseo to my doorman for $1500.

Now, with all this going on I will stay away. Not so much because of the lineup (that new Sienna looks sexay for a minivan LOL) but the fact that this whole thing smells like a huge coverup to me.

I'm in no rush to give Toyota 40,000 of my hard earned dollars anytime soon.

Last edited by Cardiff Giant; 03-16-2010 at 11:23 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2010, 11:38 AM

2,685 posts, read 6,426,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cardiff Giant View Post
Now, with all this going on I will stay away. Not so much because of the lineup (that new Sienna looks sexay for a minivan LOL) but the fact that this whole thing smells like a huge coverup to me.

We're looking to get the new Sienna SE, in about a year from now. We don't buy new, so we're waiting on some low mileage, clean examples next year. Buying new just doesn't make sense to us.

But the new Siennas are just beautiful, and very nice to drive (We test drove two recently). (My wife has an Odyssey EX-L, which is a great choice too, but she's been eyeing the Sienna for a few months now). We're staying put until some used ones, or demos come along.

BTW,
Ask your doorman, how the Paseo's doing.

Old 03-16-2010, 12:02 PM

14,268 posts, read 18,943,904 times
Quote:
I wouldn't buy a Toyota before and I won't buy one now. When my girlfriend (now wife) was off to grad school, her parents wanted to buy her a new, reliable ride so they purchased a new Paseo for her. It was a great car, good on gas and didn't need more than oil changes, tires, brakes and batteries (and gas LOL).
You are writing about a Paseo, which was made by Toyota, and saying it was a great car. Then are add "I wouldn't buy a Toyota before and I won't buy one now."

I'm not arguing with you, but I'm a little confused. It's like saying, "My friend was dying and went to Dr. Smith who treated her for many years. She made a full recovery. However, I refuse to see Dr. Smith if I ever get sick."

Old 03-16-2010, 01:04 PM

2,335 posts, read 4,153,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justNancy View Post
You are writing about a Paseo, which was made by Toyota, and saying it was a great car. Then are add "I wouldn't buy a Toyota before and I won't buy one now."
The Paseo was a gift (and it wasn't mine, technically) so I didn't purchase it. Like I said, nice car, reliable but it did nothing for me. Just this morning, I saw a guy in a Lexus and I said to myself "that guy must hate to drive." Toyotas are nothing more than appliances to me, like driving a golf cart from point A to point B. Reliability is not the top criteria when I purchase a car, safety for my family is my top priority and this is where Toyota has fallen short this time around. If I wasn't buying what Toyota was selling before this whole UA fiasco, I certainly ain't buying one now.

I hope that clears things up!

Old 03-16-2010, 01:21 PM

2,715 posts, read 11,912,740 times
The new 4Runner is a dream.

Old 03-16-2010, 02:12 PM

2,685 posts, read 6,426,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnfrisco View Post
The new 4Runner is a dream.
Tell me about it.

We test drove the 2010 4Runner Limited a few weeks ago. I was trying to convince my father to look into it while he was shopping for a Land Cruiser, (trying to save him some money in the process, while enjoying some nice features, available in the 4Runner that he wanted in the Land Cruiser).

He liked it a lot, but went for a Lexus LX570 instead. His mind was set on something above the 4Runner. Still got a great SUV and got a good deal in the process.

If I were looking for an SUV, the 2010 4Runner would be it.!!!

Old 03-16-2010, 04:05 PM

20,868 posts, read 23,565,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterNY View Post
Tell me about it.

If I were looking for an SUV, the 2010 4Runner would be it.!!!

Tell me about it but I would get the Trail Edition if I could afford it.

Old 03-16-2010, 04:06 PM

20,868 posts, read 23,565,307 times
Quote:

I wouldn't give any car maker that much money. I would only buy used.

Old 03-16-2010, 04:57 PM

747 posts, read 2,760,049 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justNancy View Post

I'm not arguing with you, but I'm a little confused. It's like saying, "My friend was dying and went to Dr. Smith who treated her for many years. She made a full recovery. However, I refuse to see Dr. Smith if I ever get sick."
It's a little different, because (to some of us) cars are about more than simply competence and "getting the job done." If I wanted a reliable and competent car the way I would want a reliable and competent doctor, then yes I'd definitely (still) look at Toyota. Whether they are appealing is a much more personal and intangible question.

Old 03-16-2010, 07:41 PM

20,004 posts, read 77,404,910 times
Quote:
The Paseo was a gift (and it wasn't mine, technically) so I didn't purchase it. Like I said, nice car, reliable but it did nothing for me. Just this morning, I saw a guy in a Lexus and I said to myself "that guy must hate to drive." Toyotas are nothing more than appliances to me, like driving a golf cart from point A to point B. Reliability is not the top criteria when I purchase a car, safety for my family is my top priority and this is where Toyota has fallen short this time around. If I wasn't buying what Toyota was selling before this whole UA fiasco, I certainly ain't buying one now.

I hope that clears things up!
I had a Paseo (96).... had it for 8 years and it was pretty reliable for the most part. The parts that crapped out were expensive though. Had two o2 sensors crap out on me (caused me to fail emissions), the exhaust broke at 45K miles, the radiator decided to eat itself alive, the t-stat (cheap fix) went south, and teh valve cover developed a crack, which I had to JB Weld to prevent my car from smelling like oil. I also developed a trunk leak, due to a bad grommet. My brother bought the car off of the dealer I traded it in for my Focus, and several weeks later both rear struts completely went out and the trans blew (5 spd manual--carrier bearing went kaput). Cool thing is he found a used one in Chicago for $150 and had it put in by the next day.

Would I recommend a Paseo to anyone? Only to a teenage girl, thats about it. Toyota overpriced the crap out of that heap, I cant believe the convertible models back in 98 were approaching 20K!!!! Sheesh!!!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Toyota, Lexus, and Scion