Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Toyota, Lexus, and Scion
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-16-2010, 10:15 PM

14,268 posts, read 18,943,904 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by G.Costanza View Post
It's a little different, because (to some of us) cars are about more than simply competence and "getting the job done." If I wanted a reliable and competent car the way I would want a reliable and competent doctor, then yes I'd definitely (still) look at Toyota. Whether they are appealing is a much more personal and intangible question.
I have to agree with you on this. I just put new tires and brakes on my Camry (wrote about this on another thread) because I'm trying to be practical. However, this is the most boring car I've ever owned. I think the Yokohama Avid TRZ tires have improved the ride a little, but it's too early to tell. I prefer a sportier ride and wish I had taken it out on the interstate before I bought it. That's my new rule. I won't buy any car unless I can test drive it over 70mph.

Just want to add that I'm probably still in the category of "wanting to get the job done" although before I die I'd like to own a red sports car. I almost bought the new Hyundai Genesis Coupe that was in the showroom for around $25,000. Well, I was thinking about it. I went there to look at the new Sonata which is very sharp. I decided to keep my 2006 Camry for another year since it only has 40,000 miles on it.

Last edited by justNancy; 03-16-2010 at 10:29 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2010, 11:50 PM

415 posts, read 1,779,851 times
I have no issues with Toyota despite their being the target of US corporate "economic hit men."

Having said that, I prefer a sportier ride. Nissan, Subaru, and BMW come to mind immediately.

Old 03-17-2010, 07:15 AM

2,335 posts, read 4,153,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justNancy View Post
I have to agree with you on this. I just put new tires and brakes on my Camry (wrote about this on another thread) because I'm trying to be practical. However, this is the most boring car I've ever owned. I think the Yokohama Avid TRZ tires have improved the ride a little, but it's too early to tell. I prefer a sportier ride and wish I had taken it out on the interstate before I bought it. That's my new rule. I won't buy any car unless I can test drive it over 70mph.

Just want to add that I'm probably still in the category of "wanting to get the job done" although before I die I'd like to own a red sports car. I almost bought the new Hyundai Genesis Coupe that was in the showroom for around $25,000. Well, I was thinking about it. I went there to look at the new Sonata which is very sharp. I decided to keep my 2006 Camry for another year since it only has 40,000 miles on it.
Yeah, Costanza said it better than me. The Genesis Coupe is pretty nice, I would consider one of those if I was in the market for a sports coupe. I rented a Sonata recently (not the new model) and I was pretty surprised. Keep your Camry, it'll last you another 10 years if you want.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterNY View Post
We're looking to get the new Sienna SE, in about a year from now. We don't buy new, so we're waiting on some low mileage, clean examples next year. Buying new just doesn't make sense to us.

But the new Siennas are just beautiful, and very nice to drive (We test drove two recently). (My wife has an Odyssey EX-L, which is a great choice too, but she's been eyeing the Sienna for a few months now). We're staying put until some used ones, or demos come along.

BTW,
Ask your doorman, how the Paseo's doing.
After I sold it, my doorman drove the Paseo from the Bronx to Manhattan every day for about a year then sold it to a guy in Boston. It's probably still cruising around somewhere on the East coast. I still see a Paseo here and there in Austin. I look forward to driving the new Sienna as my Volvo lease is about to terminate. I am leaning towards buying it post-lease. It's been a good car over these 3 years, not Toyota reliable but good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve-o View Post
I had a Paseo (96).... had it for 8 years and it was pretty reliable for the most part. The parts that crapped out were expensive though. Had two o2 sensors crap out on me (caused me to fail emissions), the exhaust broke at 45K miles, the radiator decided to eat itself alive, the t-stat (cheap fix) went south, and teh valve cover developed a crack, which I had to JB Weld to prevent my car from smelling like oil. I also developed a trunk leak, due to a bad grommet. My brother bought the car off of the dealer I traded it in for my Focus, and several weeks later both rear struts completely went out and the trans blew (5 spd manual--carrier bearing went kaput).
Sounds like yours was built on a Monday (or maybe it was one of the Paseo's built in Kentucky LOL). Ours was pretty reliable, no complaints there. I did have an issue with a Detroit area (Southfield) dealer. I took it in for service and the next thing you know they tell me I need a new oil pan as the current one is rusting. I told them I wanted to get a second opinion on that one.

As for current Toyota's, I would consider the Lexus GX460 or the Sienna, that's about it. Maybe the IS-F but that's not practical. I would love an LX570 but that's a bit more than I care to spend on a car. Nothing in their current line up speaks to me. What do I know anyway, I drive a soon to be Chinese Volvo!

Old 03-17-2010, 01:16 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,194,204 times
I just got back from having my recalled RAV4 fixed. The last thing the service manager said to me was, "Of course you understand that a new recall list could come out tomorrow."

That was comforting......

Old 03-17-2010, 01:22 PM

4,530 posts, read 8,870,515 times
I am more likely than ever to buy a Toyota. I do know that I will NEVER buy any car manufactured by members of the UAW.

GL2

Old 03-17-2010, 03:29 PM

2,368 posts, read 5,107,688 times
If I bought an Asian car I'd buy one with character, a Subaru or Mazda, perhaps even a Suzuki.

NEVER a Toyota though.

Old 03-17-2010, 08:02 PM

3,536 posts, read 12,333,776 times
I just got a 2010 Corolla last week. So far, I am happy. And the dealership was bustling with people.

Old 03-17-2010, 08:21 PM

20,004 posts, read 77,404,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by guy1 View Post

Having said that, I prefer a sportier ride. Nissan, Subaru, and BMW come to mind immediately.
Unless youre getting a GT-R, SE-R, or 370Z, Nissan's cars are just as overweight, bloated, bad-handling, slobmobiles as Toyota's cars are. And to make things even worse, most of them are mated to CVT trannies.

And for Subaru? Get the WRX or STi for decent handling (not great), the rest arent anything to write home about. BMW is your best bet of the 3 by a super long shot... they actually can handle.

Old 03-18-2010, 12:22 AM

415 posts, read 1,779,851 times
I don't doubt it. There is the slight issue of...cough *sticker shock* cough.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve-o View Post
Unless youre getting a GT-R, SE-R, or 370Z, Nissan's cars are just as overweight, bloated, bad-handling, slobmobiles as Toyota's cars are. And to make things even worse, most of them are mated to CVT trannies.

And for Subaru? Get the WRX or STi for decent handling (not great), the rest arent anything to write home about. BMW is your best bet of the 3 by a super long shot... they actually can handle.

Old 03-18-2010, 09:14 PM

14,268 posts, read 18,943,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UKUKUK View Post
If I bought an Asian car I'd buy one with character, a Subaru or Mazda, perhaps even a Suzuki.

NEVER a Toyota though.
I really like the look of the Kia Soul, but it didn't seem to have a lot of storage space. The first time I saw a red one in a parking lot last year, I walked up to the driver and asked him what it was.

The one thing I really liked about the Sonata is how quiet it was at 70mph. Could have been the Michelin tires, but there was very little road noise. My 2001 Sonata died at 54K and I couldn't get Hyundai to honor the 100,000 mile warranty. Hyundai used to have a timing belt, which has been replaced with a timing chain. (that's what the salesman told me last month) Anyway, the belt broke and crushed the valves, so it became a large paperweight. The 2011 Sonata has been completely redesigned.

Anyway, my Camry has been riding smoothly since I got it serviced. I'll start a thread about one concern I'm having about the transmission, so I don't go too off topic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cardiff Giant View Post
Yeah, Costanza said it better than me. The Genesis Coupe is pretty nice, I would consider one of those if I was in the market for a sports coupe. I rented a Sonata recently (not the new model) and I was pretty surprised. Keep your Camry, it'll last you another 10 years if you want.
Thanks. I hope so!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Toyota, Lexus, and Scion